PDA

View Full Version : Sky cube maker?

Parasite
03-26-2003, 12:20 PM
I was wondering if there is a plugin\L-Script that allows me to place my camera in my scene, and render 6 shots (up/down, Left/Right, Front/Back) whos edges would be seamless, and dimensions are square. To use for game sky boxes.

I wouldnt be too suprixed if this is in layout somewhere, but I rarely venture outside of Modeller :)

Any help is greatly appreciated
THx :)

wiffzack
03-27-2003, 01:30 AM
Yes, nice script idea, i will try that today as my first layout script :)
The only prob i see is the rendering, I don t know if that is possible? The script should continue while LW is rendering...

hmm may iŽll get it, then i will post it here:

greets

ingo
03-27-2003, 01:56 AM
If its just for the sky you can use Skytracer2, there is an option to bake the sky either to a sphere or to a cube.

Lamont
03-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Just set the FOV to 90, and rotate 90 deg in all directions and that's it. You can make an action out of it.

And you can use any sky-generating plug-in (Like Eki's) with this.

Parasite
03-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Well, ingo, I need more of an "environment"...for this project I need a futuristic cityscape with a sky in the background. And the plugin would be very usefull for any lightwave scene a person wanted to make into a skybox.

I think Lamont hit the nail on the head...1 keyframe in each of 6 directions. My main concern is...will all the edges between the 6 match up seamlessly? (Keep in mind I havent touched layout in years...prolly scince DUN DUN DUN! 5.5!!! AAAAH)

Anyway, the main reason I want a script/plugin is so that the process can be more automated (Ie wnatever settings are needed to have saemless edges are set automatically) and also, I would like to be able to place a camera anywhere in the scene and at any angle and have that angle be my "front" panel for my skybox, and have the script calculated the rotations for the other 5 shots...if that makes any sense.

Thx for the replies guys :)

Lamont
03-27-2003, 03:43 PM
It's seamless. I do it all the time with our real-time stuff.

See:

360 deg = a circle right? Well 360/4 = 90.

Parasite
03-27-2003, 03:56 PM
Is that with default zoom and FOV settings?
Ive seen this problem, on another forum where a person rendered a skybox and had either gaps (like the seamless panels had been croppeds short) or overlaps...like the panels needed pixels cropped off the borders, cant remember wich he had. But I recall it had something to do with the default fov setting. He got it fixed by changing the setting. (He wasnt using LW btw)

Lamont
03-27-2003, 03:58 PM
FOV has to be 90 deg for the camera or it won't work right with a cube.

Lamont
03-27-2003, 04:03 PM
Here is one I did with Eki's plug-in.

All you have to do is rotate and place it where it need to go.

Lamont
03-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Damn, I need to post the image huh?

Lamont
03-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Damn, I am sorry. I didn't know it was THAT big...

Halsu
03-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Lamont, you can edit your post, and use a smaller pic ;-)

In addition to SkyGen, PlugPak also includes RefGen, which sets up the camera for this automaticly (it also includes another script to convert from box format to spherical map).

Naturally, the technique works for everything in the scene, not just sky.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak/index.html

riki
03-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Wow that's 'tres kewl' could you use that in a Cubic QT VR? I've always wonderred how they made them.

Parasite
03-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Halsu
Lamont, you can edit your post, and use a smaller pic ;-)

In addition to SkyGen, PlugPak also includes RefGen, which sets up the camera for this automaticly (it also includes another script to convert from box format to spherical map).

Naturally, the technique works for everything in the scene, not just sky.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak/index.html

Damn! I dont get paid till next Friday :/ :D

Halsu
03-27-2003, 07:17 PM
You can download and use it for free.

It's fully functional, there's just some requesters prompting to register, plus a small delay before opening the interface.

Same thing goes with my ModPak scripts too.

Halsu
03-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by riki
Wow that's 'tres kewl' could you use that in a Cubic QT VR? I've always wonderred how they made them.

I haven't made those either, but i can't see why the refGen output couldn't be used, just like any other panorama.

Lamont
03-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Here, I tried to edit but it would keep the old image regardless of what I did.

natha1
12-13-2004, 05:27 PM

Yes you can... If you're on a Mac you can use a free program from Apple called "MakeCubic." Make sure your images are rendered (actually named) in this order: Front, Right, Back, Left, Up, Down. Drag and drop them on the MakeCubic program and you'll have a QTVR file. Alternately, you can open the program seperately and choose Convert (Cmd-O) to set some specific settings.

You don't need to render 6 pictures either, actually you can render you frames in the same order to a Quicktime movie file in the same order (Front, Right, Back, Left, Up, Down) and drag and drop that onto MakeCubic.

Hope this helps!!!
Nathan Warden

riki
12-14-2004, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I've donwloaded that App a few times but have never been able to get it to launch. I think there is a commercial option which might be better.

natha1
12-14-2004, 05:13 AM
There probably are better commercial options. I'm not sure what version of Mac OS you have, but, they are updating the MakeCubic program pretty often. I'm posting this here for anybody who has Mac OS X who might want to download this.

http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/quicktimeintro/tools/index.html

Another option if this link gets broken is to simply go to a search engine and type in MakeCubic (one word). The first option should be the correct one. It should give a resource page with "QTVR Make Cubic" on it.

If all you want to do is make a simple panorama that plays in quicktime, this program is a great choice... and it's free!!!