PDA

View Full Version : Monitor/Color calibration issues

Zafar Iqbal
06-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Hello,

First of all: Im a totally newbie when it come to calibrating monitors/systems.

For long time i've been reseaching on and off - and im getting more and more confused regarding color calibration/profiling issues.

Yesterday i was about to write about this in here, but didn't.. though i could manage.

But now im experiencing very strange things.

The odd thing is between ACDSee and Photoshop.

The Color Management is setup with my monitor profile.

I've just experienced that a grayscale image looks alot different in ACDSee than in Photoshop. I cant be 100% sure, but it seems like ACDSee is showing it propperly.

I've tried altering my Color Managent in PS but without luck.

Im not using Adobe Gamma any longer since i've recorded my Gamma adjustments into PowerStrip.

First of all i would like to know why im not seeing the same thing.

Secondly i want to know how i can calibrate my system so it affects everything on my computer. Im not happy with various results in various apps. And its frustrating and seems quiet unlogical to me that i have to assign a monitor profile in Display Properties, calibrate through Adome Gamma (or other app) and even setup Color Management and similar in other apps.

Ok.. i've just read that profiling directly in apps can play a huge role and it DOES make some sence. But isn't it possible to have ONE app responsible for calibration and then simply turn CM and likes off???

Like i said: Im a totally newbie within this issue - but if you can either explain the matter to me in understandable english, or direct me to a site that does this, then i'll highly appretiate it.

Zafar Iqbal
06-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Just found out that it was the Microsoft ICM conversion engine to blame.

Wierd - i read somewhere that this is better than Adobe (ACE) - Microsoft ICM washes out bright areas.

Try desaturating a image and compare it with grayscale covertion (with Microsoft ICM engine).

Zafar Iqbal
06-10-2004, 08:46 AM
.......anyone? :confused: