PDA

View Full Version : Modeler Request

Signal to Noise
06-08-2004, 10:17 PM
I did a search first to see if this has been mentioned previously. Either I didn't use the magic keywords or the thread is buried in a plethora of long forgotten posts. Anyway here's my first request for [8.5] or earlier ;)

Modeler: The ability to edit objects at the parametric level even after the Create tool is dropped. It would be so nice to change the diameter or number of segments or XYZ dim's as key-ins within the object rather than having to guess via the Point/Poly modifications.

Mylenium
06-09-2004, 01:20 AM
This would mean a totally new modeler and the inclusion of "history" or a "modifier stack". If you look for those keywords you will see that such a thing indeed has been requested a million times already.

Mylenium

hrgiger
06-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Doesn't hurt to ask.

Probably doesn't help much either, but doesn't hurt.

I'd love to see parametric modeling in Lightwave.

Lynx3d
06-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Well, LW8 does have a new plugin class that is totally unused at this point, but does provide a lot more freedom for "polygon" types.
You could basically define a cylinder as polygon too and provide an interface change its parameters at any time. However, since that is a lot of "cheating" again (ok LW wants to be cheated) you can't edit the actual geometry unless you convert it to "Face"-type polygon, which then is forever, so a stack is still impossible.

But i just taught my Modeler how to use basic Bezier splines (deformable with the regular drag tool) :D
They don't do anything yet besides getting displayed, but who knows what they will be good for ;)

Karmacop
06-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Very nice man! I can't wait to see what everyone can do with this new plugin type. Keep us posted on plugin :)

evenflcw
06-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Very cool Lynx3d.

This is certainly very interesting. Except for just new polygon types this new plugin class could perhaps be pushed to mimic other things aswell. For example instacing! Since custom polygon types can apparently look ever which way perhaps one custom polygon could equal one instance, which would make them easily selectable and movable. It might not allow for realtime updating but a simple button to update all instances would certainly not be too bad.

I acctaully had the idea to do something simular in script but on a polygon level ("tagging" each polygon with info about what instance it was and the id of the original polygon to copy). I soon gave up though as it was too tricky and I really didn't know if it would've worked in the end or well at all anyways.

Karmacop
06-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Good idea evenflcw! From what I understand it's possible, but I don't know how possible. I really wish I knew how to program :(

Lynx3d
06-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Yea i already thought about instancing too, but i still have to find a way to attach any extra data to the custom polygons!
It does support load and save callbacks but mine never get called :confused:
Seems to be a Layout thing anyway. Pretty diffuse everything...

Originally posted by Karmacop
Good idea evenflcw! From what I understand it's possible, but I don't know how possible. I really wish I knew how to program :(
Err...don't you write LScripts? ;)
All i really had when writing the first plugin was a C-course from university, that when looking back was a bad joke...most of the people never understood what a pointer is :D

The SDK has many examples that you can modify without knowing how everything works in detail right from the start. That's why i only wrote one LScript, lack of examples, understandable documentation and last but not least too few possibilities.

Karmacop
06-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Just another idea, could you make an extrusion tool ... maybe even with your bezier splines? ie you select a polygon and the curve you want to extrude down, and then whenever you change the curve the extrusion changes with it?

Or how about luxigons that actually look like lights in modeler?

And yeah, I write lscripts, but they're bad :p I've been trying to learn lscript so as to one day get into writing plugins, but the plugin code looks hard .. or more complex anyway, and I can't even get their examples to compile :p

kmscottmoore
06-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Just another idea, could you make an extrusion tool ... maybe even with your bezier splines? ie you select a polygon and the curve you want to extrude down, and then whenever you change the curve the extrusion changes with it?

Karmacop, There is one piece of software on the market that already does this, so it is entirely possible. But, it is verboten to say the name of that company on this board. It's not the product that they are most know for, but one of there high-end (i.e. expensive) industrial design apps.

Karmacop
06-11-2004, 08:56 PM
I thuoght a lot of software already did this? Maya, Max, etc .. I was just wondering if it'd now be possible in Lightwave ... but maybe other software doesn't do this?

kmscottmoore
06-11-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure if Maya does or not. But Studio Tools does. They're both by the same company. So, yes, it can be done.

See, you made me say something bad! I wasn't supposed to mention the name of that company that is the same name as the show with Jennifer Garner on it.

:D

Lynx3d
06-12-2004, 02:48 AM
(Psst, even Blender has parametric extrude with bevels while the spline is still editable...;) )

Or how about luxigons that actually look like lights in modeler?

What are luxigons after all? (i mean, data-wise...)
If i knew that, i could perhaps answer those questions...
There obviously is a way to attach data to a polygon, but i'm not sure if it's available through the SDK.
But a better Railextrude tool is overdue anyway...not even has a preview!

And yeah, I write lscripts, but they're bad :p I've been trying to learn lscript so as to one day get into writing plugins, but the plugin code looks hard .. or more complex anyway, and I can't even get their examples to compile :p

Hehe...i wrote exactly one script before going to C.
If you're a PC user i could write a tutorial on how to compile with DevC++ (assuming you're a Windows-user...) but the "boxes" tutorial also shows how to setup MSVC. And i think someone recently posted a template for MSVC on the LWSDK group.

Karmacop
06-12-2004, 04:47 AM
Did you know there's Alias comics? Are they based on the show or is the show based on the comics? :p

Luxigons are umm .. powergons ... and powergons are ... I'm not sure :p

I don't like luxigons anyway, they have about what .. 4 settings? :rolleyes: What I mean is could you apply luxigon to a polygon and the polygon disappears and instead you see a 3d wireframe light like in Layout?

How different is lscript and coding in c for lightwave? What I like about lscript is I don't need to define anything, link anything, or compile :p

But if you made a tutorial it'd be great. At the moment I load one of the SDK samples, but all the include files etc where they're meant to be (I think), and then when I compile it says it can't find the include files. It makes me really angry :p

Lynx3d
06-13-2004, 09:16 AM
There is already a tutorial (the one i used to get started actually) for compiling with dev-c++:

http://www.clandestine.com.au/dev.htm

But i'm just writing a new one, you can precompile/-define some things that make it easier to create a template and setup a new project with few clicks, and also produces less files polluting your folders. Also compiles faster, by perhaps 0.5 seconds :P

-edit-
oh about the missing include files: the LW8 SDK messed up some directory conventions. Either remove the "lwsdk/" in the .h files (e.g. "#include <lwsdk/lwio.h>" should be "#include <lwio.h>") or just make a directory called "lwsdk" and copy all .h files there.

Karmacop
06-13-2004, 10:28 AM
I even had trouble with 7.5 :p

Anyway, I'll have a look at the tutorial tomorrow and see how I go :)

Thanks for the link.