PDA

View Full Version : Render speed

Kenshin_X_66
03-26-2003, 09:52 AM
:o :o :o :o :o

Im currently working on a visual for a client and ive got a deadline to meet, ive got a dual processor machine and about a gig of ram but render time on a basic model is taking hours rather than the usual tens of minutes it usually takes

i havent got volumetrics or radiosity on or anything but i do have 20-30 lights on the scene (mostly spots)

any suggestions as to how i can speed up the render?? i dont want to cut the resolution because i need some prints

ive put the segment memory up but this doesnt help the actual speed of the render (put it up from my usual 60mb to 500mb out of fustration but its still just as slow)

PS. how do i get a picture by my name when i post???

aloysius1001
03-26-2003, 12:13 PM
what is your resolution? I know you don't want to lower your resolution, but if you only need that resolution to generate prints then `i'd cut it down, then find the frames that you'd like to print and just re-render those frames at higher resolution.

hrgiger
03-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Here are a few tips that might help out rendering speed.

Make sure Viper is disabled when you render.

Use spotlights whenever you can. If you have any area lights in your scene, try replacing them with spotlights. Also, use shadow maps instead of raytracing shadows. They use more memory but they're quicker to render.

Render parts of the scene seperately and composite them together.

Uncheck show render in progress. It's great and all to watch your render going but it does take more time. How much time depends upon the scene and number of frames rendered.

Use image maps instead of procedurals.

geoff3dnz
03-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Kenshin_X_66
ive put the segment memory up but this doesnt help the actual speed of the render (put it up from my usual 60mb to 500mb out of fustration but its still just as slow) Your segment memory needs only be enough to let LW render in one segment... any more is wasted. (or at least, it won't help). Rendering in one segment is going to be slightly faster than rendering in 2 or more.

You could also investigate surface baker, I had an indoor scene with quite a few lights, rendered out a surface baker image, (which admittedly took a wee while) and then mapped that back onto the object. Renders superfast now, no lights needed! (This is more useful for animations)

What poly count are you dealing with for the object(s)? Obviously, the larger the number of polys, the longer the render. Perhaps there's some optimising you could do?

hrgiger
03-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Oh, and as far as getting the picture by your name when you post... That's called an avatar and you can set that up through the user cp.

Kenshin_X_66
03-27-2003, 03:29 AM
cheers guys.

time difference is crazy but i've checked some of that stuff out this morning and it helps for def.

i'm gonna start baking radiosity on all my models from now on, that stuff is sick

ps as you can see my avatar is on and looking crisp

expect to be hearing from me again soon;)

trentonia
03-27-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm telling you, go to http://wwww.respower.com and let them render it for you. It's fast and cheap. You can pass the render cost on to your client. They even have a render calculator that will help estimate how long it will take and how much it will cost. Good Luck.
greg

trentonia
03-27-2003, 09:40 AM
If you're only rendering a single frame, go to flay and get the plugin that allows you to split the image into several parts, then spread it out over several machines.

Kenshin_X_66
03-27-2003, 09:42 AM
link didnt work greg

its definatley worth thinking about, but generaly i'd like to keep my rendering in house though, its not a massive scene or anything either, about 40000 polys, so LW7 should definatley handle it, im just being greedy with my quality options

trentonia
03-27-2003, 10:00 AM
Sorry, I had too many wwwwwwwws try this one - http://www.respower.com

Kenshin_X_66
03-27-2003, 10:04 AM
cheers greg, on the site now

surley with all the power they have they could do it for me in seconds, i only need 3 still images, would they up the price or still charge by hours of render times??

its definatley worth looking at for walkthroughs and stuff so thanks again

daug
03-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Kenshin_X_66
:o :o :o :o :o

i havent got volumetrics or radiosity on or anything but i do have 20-30 lights on the scene (mostly spots)

Just a thought, if you are using shadow maps, how large do you have the shadow map size set to? Is your hard drive swapping?

I don't know if it would cause a render to increase an incredible amount, but when I have a lot of large shadow spotlights, it takes time for the computer to calculate them and ram requirements can skyrocket. Multiply that times your antialias passes, you get the idea.

I had a scene with two spinner rigs and shadow mapped lights. My memory usage was like 1200 megs. I had to cut the map size down drastically. I have a dual pIII with 512 megs of ram. I hope this helps.

trentonia
03-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Respower's price for Lightwave is $0.50 per GHz per Hour. You can rent one processor for 50 cents for one hour. I you have 3 stills to do, I would get that plugin and split the stills into 10 pieces or so, and spread it across 10 machines.