PDA

View Full Version : Selection order based parenting, creation of IK chains etc...

evenflcw
06-08-2004, 08:42 PM
This is acctually in answer to Jin Choungs ps. no 3 :) of this post: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24271&postid=185824 ("Better IK - not a BOOSTER", 2nd page, 1st post)
I thought it best to start a new topic in the end instead of posting in the original thread as my post became quite lenghty and was offtopic for that discussion. The request is important enough to deserve it's own thread(s). Forgive the odd start as I didn't care to rewrite it.

Yes, get rid of all the dropdown lists! If we can see it in the viewports we should be able to work with it. Why should we have to find the item (or rather a name assigned to the item) once again in a list that can be a mile long when the item is viewable right in front of us! It's terrible workflow and makes LW dull to work with. A change here would mean alot!

I think LW already keeps a record of the selection order, but it's obviously limited to one type (objects, bones, lights or cameras) at a time, so it is not as flexible as it need to be. Imho this is holding back a very big workflow improvement. For example, it would be great if we could select a bunch of lights and a null last, run a command and have all the lights parented to the null without accessing any panels or browsing through any lists. The same workflow could be used to speed up assigning motion modifiers and such. Select two items, run a command to assign follower (to the first item), and when the follower panels immediatly opens up LW has already placed the second item as the one to be followed. You don't have to pick it from the list if you don't want to! Same thing as already mentioned with the IK chains, select a couple of bones and a null last as the goal, run a Make IK Chain command and it'll sort it out.

I feel the same way about points and polygon selection modes in Modeler. They are holding back new and faster workflows. I think maybe these buttons should be made into toggles that enable or disable selection of the specific type instead of toggling to one or the other.