PDA

View Full Version : Sync Issue w/T3, TMpeg, DVD Workshop

RayLarson
06-08-2004, 06:21 AM
OK, here's the deal.

I recently upgraded to the latest build of T3. Up until then I never had a problem creating DVD's with TMpeg and DVD Workshop. Now, for some unkown reason, if I do a Wedding DVD direct from the T3 Project File and put it into DVD Workshop the result is a file that loses audio sync as it progresses.

The only change I have seen with the T3 update is that TMpeg now makes a seperate Video and Audio file (m2V & WAV). That requires a little different approach in DVD Workshop. The .wav files needs to be entered as a replacement audio file.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?? I have spent the past 20 hrs re encoding this wedding only to keep getting the same results. If necessary I could make a .avi render and then let DVD Workshop do the encoding but I like the results in TMpeg.

Help Please

ScorpioProd
06-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Oddly, you're the second person that has reported that the latest patch of VT[3] has changed TMPGEnc to output the pair of elementary streams by default instead of the combined system stream. I've never noticed this, and I don't really think the plug-in could do that, but then again, I use the pair of elementary streams by choice.

Superior audio quality will result from using the pair of elementary streams, and hence the uncompressed PCM audio in the wav, instead of compressing it to MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio which you'll need to uncompress and recompress as AC-3 in DVD Workshop anyway. It's always better to compress direct to AC-3 from the uncompressed PCM audio wav.

OK, first question on your A/V sync issue: WHERE are you seeing the sync problem?

Is the audio in sync in your VT-Edit project?

Is the audio not in sync in your burned DVD?

As dumb as this sounds, it's not unusual at all to see the audio NOT in sync while you are setting your chapter points or previewing in DVD Workshop, but this doesn't mean the audio isn't really in sync. Unfortunately, the only way to prove it is to either burn a real DVD or to author to a folder and then play the DVD folder with software.

This sync issue only occurs with VBR files, it's something involved with seeking in VBR files apparently.

But again, once you learn to ignore it, IF this is where you see the problem, you'll feel better. :)

RayLarson
06-08-2004, 03:21 PM
The audio is perfectly in sync on the T3 timeline. It is out of sync when I preview the DVD in DVD Workshop. I did not burn a DVD-RW to test it (which I probably should have done). Right now I am rendering an .avi file which I will put directly into DVD Workshop and set my chapter points and let the program do the encoding. Not the best solution but I need to get this done. Later I will try thru TMpeg again and burn a DVD-RW and test it to see if it burns in sync. If it does, then I will just ignore the problem.

I plan to upgrade to DVD Workshop 2 when I get some feedback on how it is performing. Thanks for the response.

ScorpioProd
06-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Yup, I'm willing to bet you're seeing a "preview only" issue.

I agree though that the problem is certainly disconcerting.

I don't know if DVD WS 2.0 has the same problem or not.

PIZAZZ
06-08-2004, 07:45 PM
We always had a delay when using the VT card for audio under DVD workshop. Try using your onboard audio card and see if it still is out of sync. If you do not have an onboard audio card then you can pick up a cheap USB audio card from Creative for about $40. Use if for DVD workshop and unplug it if you like to keep VT happy. We have our onboard soundcards enabled with no problems on the DC6+ supermicro boards.

RayLarson
06-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Happy to report that Eugene was right. It's a preview thing. I burned a DVD-RW and the sound and video were fine. Guess it's just something I (and us) will have to live with.

Thanks to all for your posts and help.

mgrusin
06-09-2004, 11:47 AM
OT, another DVD authoring package, DVD-Lab, has video preview, but not video+audio preview. Seems like a basic feature to be missing, but whenever someone asks about it, the programmer says that it would be too hard for him to guarantee preview sync, and anything less would scare people. Guess he's right. :D

-MG.

RayLarson
06-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Well, I feel releived....the combination of TMpeg & DVD Workshop is awesome. I was worried that I would have to jump ship but since it's only a preview issue...what the heck....

Rich Deustachio
06-09-2004, 06:44 PM
A related question, I know this has been asked before but what is the current correct fielding for VT3 project imports into TMPGENc and AVI wrapper imports into the same?

Thanks!

Jim_C
06-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Both are top/odd first.

ScorpioProd
06-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Actually, no, I must disagree with that.

It's Bottom Field (Field B) in TMPGEnc for the TMPGEnc plug-in as of Patch 3 (opposite what it was in patch 2), and I believe the same holds true for the AVI Wrapper, but I don't use it.

Are you sure you're seeing top as correct, Jim?

As I've said, everyone should do the fielding test till you see what your specific system does.

RayLarson
06-10-2004, 05:38 AM
When I load a T3 project into TMpeg it sets the field order. A dialog box comes up saying "judging field order" and I just leave it alone. See no problems yet.