PDA

View Full Version : LW 7.5c texture in not following with teh object

rafalkurc
06-08-2004, 03:22 AM
LW 7.5c texture in not following with teh object. World coordinates are off.
In Layout is correct, but in modeler, when i move the object, the texture is sill in the same place in world but should be in the same place in my object.

What could be wrong?

Mylenium
06-08-2004, 03:46 AM
There is nothing wrong. In Modeler there is no such thing as a world space (actually it's simply equal to local space). All transformations occur on that basis and textured are referenced to local coordinates. Thus they stay in place when you move polygons in Modeler. The only way around this is using UV textures.

Mylenium

peteb
06-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Yeah this confused me too, if you ask me they should make the model texture the same as Layout, why would you ever want it to leave the texture behing, and if you did then you'd just select world coords.

rafalkurc
06-08-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by peteb
Yeah this confused me too, if you ask me they should make the model texture the same as Layout, why would you ever want it to leave the texture behing, and if you did then you'd just select world coords.

I wonder how it is in LW 8.0 ;)

peteb
06-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Did they change it? If they did then they've pretty much sorted most of the complaints I had on Lightwave 7.5. My first one was the extruder tool was crap and they've sorted that. I also thought it a bit crap that you could'nt bevel a few polys together and they've sorted that with super smooth shift.

So well done Newtek.

peteb
06-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Well tried it in 8 and it still does the same thing :(

toby
06-08-2004, 06:11 PM
So why are you texturing your object, and then moving it? You're supposed to place objects in your scene while in Layout, not Modeler. Placing things while in Modeler also screws up your pivot points.

NO Modeler can make the textures 'stick' to the geometry in an object without a UV map. You need to think of Modeler as being inside 'object space' just like in other programs. In 3DSMax for example, if you want to work on the geometry of a model, you go down into the 'object mode', but you don't go into the geometry, into 'object mode', of your object if you're moving it around the scene.

animize21
06-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Speaking of Textures, I'm trying to wrap a sphere with a huge texturemap and seem to be topping out at 8000x4000 pixels.
After that either I can't import, or I can import but when I apply, it crashes.

I'm running LW7.5c , 2.6 p3, 2 gig ram,128 gfFX5600, xp-pro.

Thanks

toby
06-10-2004, 02:03 PM
I don't think it'll take an image that big, it needs too much ram - remember it needs enough ram to hold the whole image *uncompressed* - and you probably wouldn't have enough left over to render if it did load! You must be outputting to high-res too ~

BeeVee
06-11-2004, 01:58 AM
I take it you are trying the blue marble map? If you make sure everything is in bounding box mode and you turn off OpenGL textures and OpenGL Mipmaps (LW8) in the Display Options , it may work.

B

digimassa
06-11-2004, 04:04 AM
:cool:
and this maps are done in 8bit, so the best is to convert them to .png, you dont see a difference, disable texture antialising as this creates 24 bit mipmaps, I could use the big worldmap with 10800x21600 pixels