PDA

View Full Version : Clicking in audio when rendering to wmv format

bornsmart
06-07-2004, 11:51 AM
I am getting a clicking sound in my audio when rendering to wmv format. I have had this problem before but if I re-rendered the clip, the clicking would usually go away. Today that is not happening. I have tried several different configurations but the clicking sound still shows up.

I have read that some of you have had a similar problem. I'm really not into unistalling and re-installing the Toaster software. I am wondering if someone has found a solution that doesn't require such drastic measures.

I am running the latest upgrade of VT[3] on Windows 2000 with service pack 4. I have updated directX to 9.0 and am using the latest verified nVidia drivers from Microsofts site.

Let me know...

Jerry

Jim Capillo
06-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Do you have a smaller box or one where ventilation could be a problem? Heat buildup has been one of the causes of audio problems.....

bornsmart
06-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Jim,

We have a server case which is quite large. I have more fans than I can count and the inside of the case is monitored with an LED readout and alarm and I have never had the alarm go off.

Not to say that heat couldn't be a problem but that is how our case is setup...

ted
06-07-2004, 01:16 PM
I had this happen a few weeks back. It happened after a re-install, (unrelated to VT3). After fighting this for a couple days, I did a new re-install and it went away???

I'm not sure if it's needed in this case, since I never found the reason, but it worked???

Jim Capillo
06-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by bornsmart
Not to say that heat couldn't be a problem but that is how our case is setup...

Well, you can eliminate heat as a possibility by opening the case and sticking a fan on the board. I would also do as Ted suggests and perform an uninstall/reinstall. It is pretty straightforward and effortless nowadays.

bornsmart
06-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Jim,

I eliminated the heat theory this morning. I fired up the toaster and immediately tried rendering the file from yesterday. Same clicking sound in the output...

bornsmart
06-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Jim,

I eliminated the heat theory this morning. I fired up the toaster and immediately tried rendering the file from yesterday. Same clicking sound in the output...

John Perkins
06-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Try exporting a test with higher or lower bitrate audio in the wmv file.

I've seen certain 48khz to xxkhz conversions make clicks. I think it is where the waveforms don't line up correctly at the different rates.

bornsmart
06-08-2004, 11:06 AM
VT Owner,

I have tried that as well. In fact, that had worked before but not this time.

Thanks for the ideas!!

bornsmart
06-08-2004, 04:21 PM
Well, I seem to have solved the problem so I thought I would share the solution I came up with.

I was selecting a mono audio output originally. I thought maybe if I selected a stereo output, the problem would go away. Sure enough. In fact, I can replicate the clicking in the audio at will now.

Thanks for the responses...

Jim Capillo
06-08-2004, 08:03 PM
That's good to know.......:eek:

djlithium
06-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Mixing Audio in mono and stero out for encoding in a mono or stereo file (opposite of the source) can give you issues when you pull the material directly from the video files (audio portion of an AVI).

Here is what you do
Seperate your audio from the clip that you want to encode and save it out as a wave at 48khz or whatever. Using the WME (not internally encoded from VT3) and load the AVI and the audio independently. This should correct any issues you are having with the software injecting bizarre samples into the stream (thus the clicks).
If this does not work, take it one step further and pull the wave file into a an audio editing app like cool edit or wave lab and crunch it back out to a completely different file. This gets fixed when the audio is saved uncompressed from an application that has nothing to do with video. Audio editing apps are a great friend to VT3 operators.

It is not usually needed to mix a stereo wave down to mono before hand. Or vice versa.

Pull the two independent files (AVI - WAV) into WME and encode them from there.

Should work.

Cheers.