PDA

View Full Version : unfreeze dynamics progress

Nitisara
06-06-2004, 08:54 PM
When Layout is calculating dynamics, it can be stopped with CTRL, and it gives progress visualization in scene. It is good.

But if Layout loses its focus as an application (I switch to another application or just click to Taskbar) it enters in "coma" state - cursor changes into sand-glass, Layout stops responding to CTRL or anything and progress visualization freezes, until Layout finishes its dynamics calculations. It is bad.

I am using Windows XP.

hrgiger
06-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Yes, this happens a lot. I'm using XP also but I don't think it's platform specific. Hopefully they'll come up wtih a fix for this in one of the point updates.

Exper
06-07-2004, 05:04 AM
The same here using XP!

Lynx3d
06-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Well you can still abort by pressing (and holding for a while) Ctrl, but getting display back is more tricky...sometimes it works when i minimize the app on "top" of LW.

There's definitely space for improvements (apart from the fact that i still haven't managed to get any satisfying cloth dynamics with collisions in LW8 :( I tend to believe something's seriously broken )
Also, wasn't there an option in MotionDesigner to use multiple threads? I want it back!

lasvideo
06-07-2004, 08:06 AM
I dont think its a "coma" state, so much as continuing the calculations in the backround. Ive timed how long a complex scene takes (ie the new Hard_EFX tutorial) and also timed how long it "locks up" and eventually returns to normal,when I try to use control to end the process. It ends up taking the same time in both instances. We need a way to abort complex
dynamic calculations!

Exper
06-07-2004, 10:19 AM
The calculation "loop" should check more often for user's key-input.