PDA

View Full Version : Newbie- overlapping polygons

Rusher
03-26-2003, 07:52 AM
Hi,

How do I remove duplicate polygons, when two (or more) objects occupy the same space? I.e. 3 identical spheres, all in the same place
I'm very new to this, evidently.

Cheers
Rusher

Jim Capillo
03-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Well, you first need to post this message in the right place, the Lightwave forums.

You are in the VideoToaster forums.;)

RomainR
03-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Okay here it goes. Put on your patience gloves.

In the perspective view (in smooth shaded or texture mode select one polygon. on your keyboard hit this key ]. Now hit the delete key. Ta da. That's it. you may now resume to your regular program.

Have A Great Day.

RomainR
03-26-2003, 08:26 AM
Repeat as many times as needed to get rid of all the duplicates. The above only gets rid of one sphere.

Be nice to the young ones Jim.;)

Jim Capillo
03-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Romain Désolé, J'ai obtenu emporté là.

Je m'ai pensé étais de retour au central de trinité!

:D LOL ! That shows the efficiency of on-line translators !!!!!

SBowie
03-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Another method - select a few poly's (if necessary) in the area, and hit 'i' to bring up the polygon Info panel - use it's controls to deselect the ones you don't want.

Arte
03-31-2003, 02:53 PM
The easiest way imo is to unify polygons then merge points to be sure there is nothing left(two commands btw first unify then merge).

You'll have to find the buttons as I have not used them from the toolbar for years:)

X

RuiFeliciano
03-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Arte is right, using Unify and merge is the easiest way to remove duplicate polygons. But the order of commands he suggests is wrong. If you Unify polygons that occupy the same space but that do not share the same points you'll unify nothing. First you should merge points (m) then you should unify the polygons (CTRL+SHIFT+MMB->Polygons->Unify)

SBowie
03-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I was thinking more of overlapping polys than co-incident ones.

Arte
04-01-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by RuiFeliciano
Arte is right, using Unify and merge is the easiest way to remove duplicate polygons. But the order of commands he suggests is wrong. If you Unify polygons that occupy the same space but that do not share the same points you'll unify nothing. First you should merge points (m) then you should unify the polygons (CTRL+SHIFT+MMB->Polygons->Unify)

Lol absolutely right. Oops:)

So CTRL shift middle mouse is the default hot key for unify. Now I remember why I changed it:)

Thanks RuiFeliciano

X

Rory_L
04-01-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by RuiFeliciano
Arte is right, using Unify and merge is the easiest way to remove duplicate polygons.
...Unless the materials are different!

R

RuiFeliciano
04-02-2003, 12:49 AM
:confused: ...why?