PDA

View Full Version : Age of animation viewer

THOUGHTcam
06-06-2004, 02:08 PM
I need help gathering statistics or demographics on animation audiences.

I was recently told by a client that only children watch 3D animation. I explained that almost all movies contain some 3D animation and that animated movies like Shrek appeal to a wide range of ages. I also explained that animation 2D&3D is not just for kids. In fact, there is a large adult animation audience and even animation specifically made for adults.

I need any information proving that animation has a large adult audience.

flashcraft
06-06-2004, 03:14 PM
It depends... Are you talking about animation (obvious animation) for entertainment?

I would wager that the target audience for Futurama and the Simpsons is mostly adult. Shouldn't be hard to find those numbers.

Many titles in the Anime genre are obviously targeted for an adult audience.

The Comic book industry is driven by an adult audience...

It's actually pretty easy to see by content and context those entertainment titles that are targeted for adults, you should be able to inventory these (including those mentioned above) as part of the evidence / case.

I really liked two fairly recent animated films: The Iron Giant (Brad Bird) and Titan AE (Don Bluth), that had the stuff to keep adults entertained while entertaining the kiddies at the same time. I particularly liked how each of these mixed CG and traditional animation forms in these films (which is commonplace nowadays).

If you aren't talking about specifically obvious animation entertainment, animation is used all over the place in education, training, advertisement, and more subtle uses to pull off shots in motion pictures and television.

Just as anything else, it's a taste game. Some stuffy bastards don't have the stomache for animation:) Evidence, case studies, and data supporting the way things seem to be shouldn't be too hard to find. Bottom line - animation isn't just for children.

gatz
06-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Finding hard numbers can be tough since the marketing weasels guard their data. Advertising sales material will contain demographic info, so present yourself as an advertiser and gather info from comic, cable and websites venues that cater to your audience.

While Variety and Hollywood Report will have a lot of dollar amounts, consistent listings of demo profiles will cost big dollars (as if the Variety and Hollywood Report subs weren't expensive enough). Successful films will often have post-mortems that dissect the audience. These are of marginal help since the article usually exists because the film broke with conventional wisdom ie "actioner attracted large female audience."

Japan supports an adult animation market and the Cartoon Network has expanded their adult swim. I don't know what genre your aiming at but Comic Conventions cater to ADULTS with a lot of disposable income. Hell, I've only seen a handful of kids in my local comic shops. And no wonder with cover prices of $2.00 to $10.00. But comics suffer from an even worse reputation that animation so I don't know if you want to mention them. Ironic, since comics are getting smarter and American animation seems to be stuck in a rut.

A film doesn't make half a billion dollars (Nemo) with an audience exclusively of kids.

rg

THOUGHTcam
06-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Thanks I agree but am having trouble finding the data. I thought it would be easy as well but after 4 hours of searching I can not find anything good on the internet. I am looking for something which specifically breaks down movie sales, video rentals etc.. by age and other groups.

I am looking for stats or charts on the style of animation that resembles Shrek, Nemo, or Neutron.

Got any Links ???