PDA

View Full Version : Timecode from DVD?

chribba
03-26-2003, 03:29 AM
Does anyone know if itīs possible to use DVD with timecode?

I was thinking of record my material to DVD and then the reporter could sit anywere there was a computer with DVD and log the material.

I also hoping that DecicionMaker would work with logging from DVD records but i havenīt got an answer yet...

When uīburn down to DVD, does the timecode follow and is it possible to pick it up again?

Now that Toaster 3 have the batch and EDL function it would be really easy to have a nice workflow this way.

Any ideas of how to do this?

Thanks
Chribba:confused:

djlithium
04-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Key word... DVD = Storage.

Don't use it as a format (MPEG2)

You can have the files in MPEG 2 or MPEG1 or MPEG 4 or even DV
but just use the disc as a storage media, not for "home DVD player use".

Get them to drop it into a computer or laptop with a DVD-ROM drive in it and have them play it back from there and note the times off WMP. Now this is not goign to be "time code" but its time reference will help you in each file so you can zip to each time they are working on and you can go back to each clip, zoom to the time index they saw in WMP and place a marker and do cut or whatever.

The other alternative of course is to do a TC burn. Aura has a neat little plug/filter thingy that will make a TC window where every you want it on the screen. Save that out to RTV with alpha, then drop in over top of your clips in TEd lining up the start times with your clips TC and go from there.

Not a great explaination I know, but I think you will figure it out.

Paul Lara
04-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by djlithium
Key word... DVD = Storage.

Don't use it as a format (MPEG2)

...Aura has a neat little plug/filter thingy that will make a TC window where ever you want it on the screen.

Actually, VideoToasterworx has already created just such an overlay for you use in playback! I've posted it in the Video Toaster Downloads Page (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/VideoToaster/Downloads/)

djlithium
04-16-2003, 08:49 AM
Totally kickass! :)

Thanks Paul.

Are we going to see some kind of automatic (ie in ted/toasterscript/ddr=dsk)TC burn in generator some day? Very handy for streaming video stuff with dailies.

Just a thought...

:)