PDA

View Full Version : Help! Surface Baker can't create big image?

Designer
06-05-2004, 08:21 PM
I have some procedural in the Color Channel, and I am trying to bake them to an image file so I can render faster.

I did test by baking it to JPG/TIFF/TGA (doesn't matter which format), using 512 as the Image Resolution, and there is no problem. File comes out fine.

However, when I try to bake using 4096 as the Image Resolution, the result picture is all black, as if nothing is baked. It doesn't matter what file format I chose. This only happens if I change the file size from 512. Is this a bug? Is the Surface Baker incapable of baking any big size file? What is the workaround? 512 just won't work, too low quality for my project....

Jimzip
06-06-2004, 01:15 AM
Actually, now that you have posted the topic anyway, I will ask what I was about to ask.
I'm getting the same problems.
I've never actually successfully had surface baker working. No matter what size, but larger sized outputs are by far a lot worse.

The scene I tried to bake was a simple one, a light outside coming in a doorway to a cylindrical room.
It's lit with radiosity and I really needed to bake the illumination, but the final output image (no difference between file formats) is always 90% black, ,and the few parts that are actually baked are screwed up to no end. Lines going everywhere.

My first thought was that because of the small image size (1024) the procedurals on the walls were streaking, but then when I increased the size it was the same.

Anyone actually able to get Surface Baker to bake to an image properly? I need this for my final assignment or I'm screwed.. I can't render every frame with radiosity!!

Jimzip :D

Edit: To save time and trouble, yes, I searched the forum and have read other threads, including this one: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?threadid=22601&highlight=surface+baker
I'm going to try baking again but with the UV's parts divided with larger gaps between them..

Designer
06-06-2004, 03:42 AM
The object I want to bake can't be simpler--just a 4 point plane with a few layers of procedurals in Color Channel. No subdivision, no shaders.

I do notice however, that the process of baking eats up a good chunk of my system memory. But that doesn't tell me why the result baked image is all black.

I can't believe we are the only two who experience this problem?