PDA

View Full Version : At what age could you expect someone to begin working in LW??

John Melvin
06-05-2004, 04:20 PM
No such thing as computers when I was growing up. I have a fairly complete LW and VT3 studio and a very bright grandson who is 8 years old. Just wondering at what age he might become interested in 3D and capable of learning LW?

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

John

ingo
06-06-2004, 01:32 AM
Strange, you ask us, just ask him :)

LFGabel
06-06-2004, 02:21 AM
The sooner the better... that's if he's interested of course. I often wonder what my skill level would be if I started when I was a teenager...

mkiii
06-06-2004, 02:51 AM
My 9 year old had a go at a few 3d tutorials, and managed quite well. He seems to be well able to follow them, & grasp the concepts.

Actually getting him to *want* to do it is not so easy, when there are a dozen PC & XBox games to be played, Cartoon Network, to be watched & so on.

I think attention span is the main problem at that age, and short of forcing the little blighter to do it, when there are no immediate gains to be made might be difficult. If he's interested in Star Wars for example, show him how easy it is to make a C3P0 of a pod racer. That might spark it off in him - Or give him some ready made stuff & let him have a go at simple animation.

BTW. I installed Cinema4d on my sons machine, and I think that is an easier app for a youngster to learn.... Integrated, icons, drag & drop etc all make it more intuitive. LW is *never* going to be intuitive.

lots
06-06-2004, 03:46 AM
i was 13 when i first got interested in 3D...

Lynx3d
06-06-2004, 04:15 AM
pah, intuitive...i don't think DOS-editor and commandline POVRay was intuituve either, but did it stop me from being interested in 3d?
No way! :D

John Melvin
06-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Cinema 4D?? What did you install on his machine? The $2595 bundle or the $595, I guess, basic package?

Thanks

John

ali
06-07-2004, 08:38 AM
If you are interested in Cinema 4d you should ask a reseller Cinema 4d CE version. It is sold for 99.-EUR+VAT. I think it was the version released in 2000 or 2001. It may be a good start point for a child. This is the core package with no radiosity, fx, etc. But contains many features we still can't have in Lightwave like instances, object history, etc.

Signal to Noise
06-07-2004, 12:15 PM
I think the best way to get a kid interested in 3D CG is through games and modding. It's also relatively less expensive since most games will include the design tools or can be downloaded (Half-Life 2: XSI, gMax, UnrealEd, etc.). Of course it will be dependant on the genre of game you allow your child to play but there are are a lot of great tools and games to probably entice the learning. Then I'm sure the "real" CG and power apps will come in to play later.

My kid? I'm going to steer him away from computers (yeah...right! ;)) and get him to enjoy The Great Outdoors. And tennis camp. Pro tennis and then mom and pop can retire early! :)

Exception
06-07-2004, 06:08 PM
I was 13 when I started with 3DS for dos. I did it of my own accord and it is far from intuitive. Lightwave is intuitive in that it is logical, which is very important for anyone to grasp anything. Icons are very bad for useability, and I dont see where you'd want drag and drop in Lightwave. I just find the new interface layout... ackward.

Signal to Noise
06-07-2004, 10:50 PM
If you are talking about LightWave's "icons [being] bad for useability" then I don't understand. And I'm not sure what you mean about "drag and drop"?

As for the icons...how useable do you want them? I think LW's icons/tools are some of the most intuitive out of all the major 3D apps. You want to create a box? Then click on the tool that reads "Box"! You want to mirror an object? Then click on the tool that reads...gasp!..."Mirror"! There's none if this memorizing-what-the-pretty-picture-icon-on-the-buttton-means nonsense. Granted some of the icons under/around the view windows could do with some mouse pointer hover descriptives but other than that LW's tools are clean 'n' easy.

So, to get back on topic, if kid knows how to read then LW is a cinch to get around in!
:)

mkiii
06-08-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by John Melvin
Cinema 4D?? What did you install on his machine? The $2595 bundle or the $595, I guess, basic package?

Thanks

John

The free version 6CE

mkiii
06-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
If you are talking about LightWave's "icons [being] bad for useability" then I don't understand. And I'm not sure what you mean about "drag and drop"?

As for the icons...how useable do you want them? I think LW's icons/tools are some of the most intuitive out of all the major 3D apps. You want to create a box? Then click on the tool that reads "Box"! You want to mirror an object? Then click on the tool that reads...gasp!..."Mirror"! There's none if this memorizing-what-the-pretty-picture-icon-on-the-buttton-means nonsense. Granted some of the icons under/around the view windows could do with some mouse pointer hover descriptives but other than that LW's tools are clean 'n' easy.

So, to get back on topic, if kid knows how to read then LW is a cinch to get around in!
:)

I'm talking about general usage. Yeah so modeler let's you create a box or a cylinder qite easily. but not much else is that obvious.

Are you telling me that you still hunt through the menus for every command? Personally I only use the menu when I don't have a keystroke available. I wouldn't expect an 8 or 9 year old to know all the keyboard shortcuts or the ins & outs of LW's sometimes obscure menus.

lwaddict
06-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Should be able to start at almost any age...
you don't even need to be able to read,
since there are no manuals. LOL.

Seriously though,
if the child is into it...encourage him/her.
Doesn't matter if it's 3d, music, dance, acting,
programming, or running their own 7-Eleven...
always encourage them.

"Your too young" should only apply to certain
channels on your satellite dish.

Wade
06-08-2004, 10:20 AM
I jumped in age at 35:o

prospector
06-08-2004, 03:58 PM
I saw one of those things that you hang over cribs to keep the child quiet. It had 7 plastic LW logo spinners, and it played a cassette tape of instructions as the kid slept.:D

toby
06-08-2004, 06:38 PM
You want to create a box? Then click on the tool that reads "Box"!

Oh, I much prefer to use that button with the pretty picture of a box.. oh wait... there's FIVE OF THEM!!! :eek: what's that squiggle? that little arrow?

Best advice so far:

Originally posted by lwaddict

always encourage them.

"You're too young" should only apply to certain

omeone
06-09-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by toby
Best advice so far:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by lwaddict

always encourage them.

"You're too young" should only apply to certain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

agree with that! but dont encourage them just because you are into it, you could drive them away

lwaddict
06-09-2004, 07:21 AM
Exactly...

A great example was my mother when I was growing up...

I had a facination with horror and sci fi films from the get-go,
going so far as to start building monsters and starships on the porch out of anything I could get my hands on.

She hated it, this was obvious. But she never so much as piped a negative remark as she helped me gather more supplies whenever I needed them.

This facination went a long way towards my artististic future...
ok, I didn't turn out to be Steven Speilberg, true.
But I do special fx, build prosthetics, and design virtual simulations for a living...a pretty good living.

Now she's proud, I'm happy, everyone won.

Whatever your child is into...back them up.
And don't be discouraged when they changed channels entirely to try out something else. We don't all know exactly what we want to do or who we want to be in our early stages of development...it's the development that's important, not so much the target.

Hang in there.

btalbott
06-09-2004, 12:30 PM
I bought my grandson Sesame Street software for Christmas when he was 18mos. He is now 2.5 and uses a PC, MAC, touch pad, mouse. All the same to him. If I'm on the computer and get up for something, he's navigated his way to Sesame street on line or Cartoon network and playing the games. No different than learning to walk or talk.

I bought his sister, 5, an iMac when she was his age. It takes her a minute to figure out a game and begin to play it like a champ. She could "read" directions by the time she was 4.

They aren't special kids by any means. Just had opportunity. I haven't explained email or how to search for things. Too dangerous. I just set up links to sites they can use. They are very hard on the hardware. Alex picks up cd's with chocolate fingers and feeds them into the slot-loading DVD player before I can get to him. But the learning experience is so good for them! Just keep lots of spare parts around!

bt

toby
06-09-2004, 02:43 PM
I hope all you parents listen to lwaddict ( my parents didn't :P ) Kids are not clay for you to mold into your own image.

Just keep them away from Slot loaders!

I hear technicians have had to remove coins and dollars, credit cards, keys, etc. :p

btalbott
06-09-2004, 03:27 PM
My Grandson is also infatuated with trucks and has proclaimed that he will be a Fireman when he grows up. However, he is in awe of the trash men who kindly blow the horn of their truck every time they pass the house. Today he has decided that he will be a trash man.

My Granddaughter loves animals and says she will be a veternarian. Neither one sees computers as anything but an appliance. As it should be.

Oh, I started using computers at 50. :D

hrgiger
06-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Well, if you want him to have a social life in high school or even just have a girlfriend, you may want to wait until after he graduates. Otherwise you're going to be raising a reclusive hermit.

If I would have had something like Lightwave in high school, I might have skipped the prom.

toby
06-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Aaah, but if you had LW in high school, you could've been a vxf super for Day after Tmrw or Spiderman or something...

hmmm... girlfriend, or work on movies. girlfriend, work on movies. :confused: