PDA

View Full Version : reauthering dvds

videoconcepts
06-05-2004, 10:49 AM
has anyone ever taken a dvd and remade a new menu for it?
if you use realtime dvd burners that dont have good menus. id like to take the video from them ,that would be a vob file i think. id like to pull that over to a different authoring program so i can redo the menu.
can this be done?

meshmaster
06-07-2004, 12:03 PM
DON'T DO SOMETHING ILLEGAL... I'm just posting this so that you are made aware of what's out there, and I take no liability for your actions... I just give you information that I was given... freely....

You need to probably decrypt the dvd... vob files on commercial dvds usually have decss encryption, to keep people from pirating them... to do what I think it sounds like you are trying to do, you need a dvd ripper, and probably dvd authoring program like tmpg dvd author or adobe encore... there's a ton of software out there that can do this stuff... most of it's free, some of it's shareware... decss encryption was broken a few years ago by the hacker community, and that actually resulted in a lawsuit between riaa and 2600 magazine as well as a few others... in the end, it's technically not illegal to decrypt dvds... even though it may be illegal to pirate... although, it could be aruged that you are copying for 'fair use' i.e. educational purposes, etc...

anyways... google is your friend when it comes to this sort of thing since there's tons of software out there that does this sorta thing...

basic process is to decrypt the vobs to remove decss with a ripper... that will give you a bunch of vobs without encryption... then from there, it depends on what you want to do... some programs work directly with vobs others will require that you reencode vob to mpg or avi or some similar file type and then using a dvd authoring program you go through and put it all back together in the order that you need... and you may have to reencode more after that since most commercial dvds today are layer 2, i.e. roughly 9 gigs in size, and most dvd burners on the market today that you can get your hands on are only layer 1, i.e. around 4.5 gigs... so to fit 9 gigs of info on to 4.5 gigs of space can be cumbersome... some just copy it out from one dvd to 2 dvdrs... some resize it with dvd2one and similar stuff like tmpg... it's really all a matter of what you are trying to do and figuring out how to do it... be warned that piracy is illegal, and copying dvds is a very time consuming hobby... to copy dvd to hard drive (i.e. decrypt) could take around a half hour to hour or longer depending on how fast your computer is, how fast your dvd drive is, how big the dvd is in file sizes, etc... reencoding takes a LOT longer depending on your program being used, etc... and then copying back out to dvd takes about half an hour or so on a descent dvd burner... overall, it could take 12 or more hours if you are on a slow machine, and you are reencoding it using slow programs, etc... once you figure out all the other junk, you need to start thinking about if you need mpg1 or mpg1 quality, what bitrates to use, dvdr+ or dvdr-, etc... here's a couple of links that may help you out...
http://www.videohelp.com/tools.php?tool=TMPGEnc

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup
http://www.digitalfaq.com/
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=dvd+author+dvd2one+%22how+to%22
http://www.dvdrbase.com/archive/index.php/f-108

http://forums.afterdawn.com

basic programs that you need will be:
a dvd ripper to decrypt - dvd decrypter should do the job...

a dvd authoring program - tmpg dvd author should do the job...

dvd2avi may be needed for some special purposes...

dvd2one type software may be needed for some other special purposes...

other software may be necessary for other things... claddvdxp is an ok ripper, but it will not allow you to copy anywhere other than to a hard drive...

there's a ton of tutorials on the web... grab a hold of google and start searching for info...

videoconcepts
06-11-2004, 12:37 PM
im not copying other peoples dvds
im trying to find a faster way to transfer my projects to dvd.
My idea was to use an external dvd realtime burner like panasonics stuff.
take that and pull it back in to a authering program. and give it better titles and menus. the only other way is to buy some program that can convert faster than real time.

hunter
06-11-2004, 03:35 PM
The matrox Xtreme video edit board we have has real time export from premier to Hard disc. Works like a charm. Edit > Export > Author and burn. Not faster than real time but no long waits for premier's slow mpeg exporter. I think they're running specials that include Adobes video collection with the board. It's not cheap about a grand but it is sooooo nice.

aLBUMZ DVP
06-15-2004, 07:29 PM
You can create fairly professional looking menus with Motion and overlay effects in , ULEAD Workshop 2 ( Cheap ) Adobe Encore ( reasonable ) or Sonic Scenarist ( expensive ). + a little embellishment from LW and Photoshop for the graphics.

Once you compile the original to ISO file or DVD Audio/Video files to view easily on your computers DVD player as a test before burning then you can keep burning copies quickly . I assume your not re-compiling each DVD every time you burn a disk?

cheers
Glen
http://www.albumzdvp.biz

nevmoor
05-11-2005, 01:32 PM
I know this thread is old, but I didnt want to start a new one just.....
anyway, My church records its services direct to DVD with a panasonic unit. dont remenber the model. What I would like to do is decrypt some of the older DVDs into avi files that I can put into the VT and edit. I have been re-recording them to the HD as RTVs but obviously there is a generation loss. Any ideas? I have looked at some of the decrypter stuff but it all revolves around making"backup" copies of movies.
I tried DVD2AVI but the video was pixelated, especially with any real movement in the video

jimtruelove
05-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Take a look at DVD remake from DiamondSoft (http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremakepro/index.php?PHPSESSID=d42fb08c1c2a98fe677ec9dde54847 ce) .
Its purpose is to re comstruct or change the menu structure without having to full transcode all the VOB files. You will need to read all the instructions carefully and pic up some other suggested utility programs that are freeware.
Once you get the hang of it those realtime records can be transformed to well done mune based disks.
Have fun :D

kurv
05-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Not sure if it has been said but www.doom9.org is a good site for tool...

Again, use them only for good.

starbase1
05-12-2005, 04:12 AM
What about protecting my DVD stuff I am creating? Wha's the cheapest tool to add copy protection onto my own DVD's?

Nick

composermanII
05-12-2005, 07:12 AM
I use Sony's DVD Architect. Your best way to do it is to compile your animations into an uncompressed avi file, then bring it into a progam such as Vegas Video. You can then make a high-quality, DVD-compliant MPEG-2 files. With these files you can build a professional menu in DVD Architect. The new version does support copy protection flags. You can get the entire Vegas + DVD productions suite for around $500.00.

While rippers and the like do work, an MPEG-2 file is still a highly-compressed file format that degrades seriously when being re-encoded. I have never like the results and use it as a last resort. If you must take your work from the DVD I suggest that you capture the video from the DVD player directly into your computer. By doing this it will look better than "ripping" it.

Good Luck,

Troy

kurv
05-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Sounds like Troy has it down... All I wanted to say was be careful if you use Adobe Encore, the security on it wont allow duplicators to even dup the DVD :/. Well just be careful of the settings, they work… but can work too well. I will say that I would never use Encore again, I hate it… would not buy it again, did I say I hated it.

The only sure way I have heard is using a package called Sonic Scenarist but I hear it is REALLY expensive.

Mylenium
05-12-2005, 12:17 PM
What about protecting my DVD stuff I am creating? Wha's the cheapest tool to add copy protection onto my own DVD's?

Nick

Quite frankly: None. Using CSS or other methods requires registering with the DVD-forum and then latest you need to pay. They will give you a code you can use, but only with rather highendish programs such as Scenarist (if you have paid for that option and it's available to you, that is, since there are different flavors of Scenarist). Other methods such as manipulating physical structures can only be done on mass produced CDs with tools the replication facilities use to transfer your data to the glass master. Anyways, there's little point to it - normal DVDs are ridiculously simple to crack (or to liberate, depending on how you see it). I doubt that wil lchange even with HD-DVD/ Blue-Ray Disc. The only way to really protect your stuff but that get's in the way of easy usage.

Mylenium

Lamont
05-12-2005, 12:26 PM
I actually like Encore, and I'd recomend it. I found I could do a lot more with it than Vegas/DVD Architect. You can get Premire, Audition and Encore for $450 bucks.

It can spit out DVD masters as well. As for duplication, I just remove the encryption stuff before I burn it. There's tons of apps on the net that do that.

For a small project I re-did the Key: the Metal Idol DVD menu system to something more moody. I used Encore and Nero 6 (burning/duplication).

nevmoor
05-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Take a look at DVD remake from DiamondSoft (http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremakepro/index.php?PHPSESSID=d42fb08c1c2a98fe677ec9dde54847 ce) .
Its purpose is to re comstruct or change the menu structure without having to full transcode all the VOB files. You will need to read all the instructions carefully and pic up some other suggested utility programs that are freeware.
Once you get the hang of it those realtime records can be transformed to well done mune based disks.
Have fun :D

Again the point is not to simply add menu stuff but to actually re-edit the footage. I am making compilations and "review" type DVDs from the original masters. I want to get the vob files into quality avi files the I can edit (add titles,transitions, insert footage etc....)

Lamont
05-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Ahh, then Google some VOB to AVI tools on the net.

nevmoor
05-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks I am reading up on it now.