PDA

View Full Version : MPEG-2 Encoder Shootout

tmon
06-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Comments, anyone?

http://videosystems.com/mag/video_mpeg_encoder_shootout/

ScorpioProd
06-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Sure, I'll comment... I guess I feel rather flattered that I figured out TMPGEnc long ago all by myself, and these "industry experts" can't make legal video with it! ;)

They really should have read my article on it.

But seriously, expecting to get decent work out of a program that you don't know in 45 minutes is kinda dumb if you ask me. And this is what they were asked to do. So not knowing any of the programs they tested fully, I'm rather doubtful they got the "best" results from ANY of the programs they tested.

TMPGEnc not being included in the blind performance test and the name even being spelled with incorrect captitalization makes the whole result rather dubious to me. EVERY function they mentioned they loved in their top recommended program is fully supported in TMPGEnc, except for the "greater than 2-pass VBR." Granted, more than two passes will give incremental improvement, but nothing like the logarithmic improvement of 2-pass over 1-pass, and the time requirement for greater than 2-passes is typically not practical except for major motion pictures.

Heck, if they had simply used the quite powerful wizard in TMPGEnc they would have gotten good results, but I guess they couldn't even figure that out! (Remember, $48 on-line programs don't advertise in magazines.)

I was also surprised to see no testing of Encore's encoding engine, since it is mentioned in the article, and no testing of Ulead's DVD Workshop 2.0, either.

So, in conclusion, the test was a good idea, and some of their results may be valid, and there were certainly some useful concepts to think about, but it was certainly not an all inclusive test with some very popular encoders missing or untested.

Steve Thompson
06-05-2004, 03:50 AM
Hey Eugene,

I bet if those "experts" spent $499.00 on TMPGEnc instead of $48.00 (sheesh! What a steal) they would have figured it out.

:D

Steve

RayLarson
06-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Eugene,

You need to re-write your "Toasting DVD's" for the T3. I have worn out the one for T2. I produce pristine DVD's daily. That $49 for TMpeg was the best investment I ever made.

Thanks for all the help.

Amadeus0
06-07-2004, 11:57 PM
The encoding engine in Encore is (last time I checked) the MainConcept encoder, and Workshop was either MainConcept or Ligos.

ScorpioProd
06-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Yeah, you're right, I definately do need to rewrite my article for VT[3] very soon, and maybe publish it in Keyframe! :)

Glad it helped you, Ray! :)

As for the encoders in those other apps, thing is even with the same encoder, quality can vary depending on what controls are actually available in the application. The same encoder may have a very different and more limited front end in different apps.