PDA

View Full Version : new web site with demo reel work

andromeda_girl
06-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone, I finished a new reel in March, and finally made a small website to have samples.
The reel has a Star Trek theme to it, and was a lot of fun to do.
It is all compositing work, but if you look close you might spot one tiny bit of 3D in there.

I work with Digital Fusion because it is so powerful and all- around great to work with.

I appreciate feedback, so drop me a line if you wish!

http://www.geocities.com/countess_aurore/

SODAPLAY
06-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Fantastic! Very nice. I was having lots of laughs while watching you kissing Captain Kirk :). Beam me up Scottie!
Very nice composition. Can you tell how you've done it?

Good job!

- SODA

andromeda_girl
06-04-2004, 10:21 PM
wow, thanks for the nice feedback!

can i tell how id done it?
um, yeah, i can tell...

sort of a lengthy explanation though. Long story short: the toaster makes for a fantastic previs tool that allowed me to know my shots lined up just right.

paulk
06-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Really great work. No artifacts around any of your inserts. Do you snicker a lot because you can do what Paramount did in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations"? I don't know how much of a hassle it is to do this, but, ignoring copyright laws and snotty corporate lawyers, you could start a business with this.

One comment. I can only download a few of your clips before I get a notice that your site has exceded its download limit, and I have to wait an hour. Can you use a smaller file format or zip them?

One question. I downloaded the DivX codec so I could see your work. However, there's no sound, and you don't mention anywhere that the clips are silent. Are the clips silent, or do I have to start debugging?

andromeda_girl
06-07-2004, 04:07 PM
terribly sorry about the problem, yes that site sucks for hosting, only 3GB per month of bandwidth. this site is temporary as i am hoping to find a better home for it. the site goes down for an hour if that happens, so you could go back later OR-
you can download the clips here as well:

http://www3.telus.net/adeblois/

and sorry, there is NO sound.

just not enough storage space, sorry to say.

i have a very small, very compressed avi of the entire reel with breakdowns/ before after stuff including sound but it is 20MB. about as small as i could make it.

glad you enjoyed it.

the full resolutioin reel on DVD or VHS looks so much better, i am amazed at how well the shots turned out being compressed so much.

yes, i knew of trials and tribbilations, but as cool as it was, there was virtually no interaction taking place. my biggest challenge was to match the footage- my plates were lifted from DVD so they were superb but my mini DV footage of myself against greenscreen was hell to work with, being just 4:1:1 and all that garbage, so i had to make my excellent quality plates look like lousy mini DV for the shots to match up.

i have a pal with a VT3 box, so we were able to previs each shot in realtime to ensure i hit my marks. VT3 rocks.

again, thanks for looking, glad you enjoyed it.

now if only i can get an employer to notice all this talent.....

~A.

Imatk
06-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Man that's VERY cool I'm totally impressed... that Kirk he gets all the girls :)

andromeda_girl
06-08-2004, 10:37 AM
thanks for the kind words on my reel.

You are not entirely correct about kirk though, and as a bonafide trek nut, i can set you straight.

kirk is known for sure to have slept with only two women, and only one of them can be certified because he had a child with her. the other one is speculation however the evidence suggests he did.

he was certainly in love with two women, one of which he slept with, the other he didn't get past first base with.

if you go to the website link below, you can read all about ALL the women in star trek, and you might be amazed at what you discover. the womanizing kirk is not quite the myth you were brought up to believe.

cheers!

http://allyourtrekarebelongto.us/toswomen.htm

(and it isn't my website either)

adrian
06-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Well, very very impressive.

My only slight crit is that in the clip where you're kissing Kirk you look slightly *flat* - maybe he wasn't doing it for you as much as you thought?!

The monitors clip is perfect and the morph awesome (I really wish I could do that!)

Obviously you would recommend the VT then? I'm currently saving up to buy one. BTW which version do you have (there's an expensive and more expensive version isn't there?)

Very cool work!

Adrian.

andromeda_girl
06-08-2004, 03:23 PM
thanks, i am pretty happy with the work.
I have been getting a lot of good feedback from all over, so this is good.
it isn't a perfect reel but it does show off a lot of different stuff.

yeah kirk is a bit smooshy sometimes. that particular kiss felt a bit forced out of him. but i think he's always that way.

glad you liked the morph, it was a mess to work with because the woman and the alien have such disparate features and size discrepancies. still, i felt it worked out pretty good regardless. That one shot alone helped me get my last job, so there it is.
funny, i had advice 'not' to put a morph shot on my reel from people, but i felt it would be a great idea. looks like i was right.

i don't presently have a VT, although my box is configured to be a toaster machine, i still have to save up the dough myself. wish i could have that equipment now, an all-round perfect addition- editing, vfx previs, video playback. just what a girl needs.

the one used for the reel was at a small, local fx house, and it was the VT3 but the same work could have been done with the older version, it is merely a video input from the camera.

adrian
06-09-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by andromeda_girl
glad you liked the morph, it was a mess to work with because the woman and the alien have such disparate features and size discrepancies. still, i felt it worked out pretty good regardless.

No, it worked out VERY well (I must have played it about 50 times) - don't be so modest! Are there any tutorials on how to do that?

Adrian.

andromeda_girl
06-09-2004, 10:04 AM
why, thank you young man...

if there is a tutorial floating out there for doing a moprh, i'd love to see it. i had to just wing it.
i just worked in what i felt was the most logical manner to approach it. And the whole reel was all digital fusion, if that helps explain anything.

andromeda_girl
06-15-2004, 08:50 PM
it took some doing, but i managed to squeeze one more video on the ftp site, a set of breakdowns from that new reel work.

dxyner
06-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Your work looks really good there. The kiss is a little off; like you are behind a cardboard standee but still....the contrast and saturation matched up and over all this looked darn good. I especially like the MT morph. Keep it up.

Dxyner

andromeda_girl
06-15-2004, 09:08 PM
thanks.

the full resolution video looks far better, the compressed stuff looks lousy. i usually hear different comments when people see the full rez.

:)

Rich
06-18-2004, 10:49 PM
I liked the video of you and McCoy the best. I think you did an excellent job. Is there any way you can post the original clip so I can see the difference?

andromeda_girl
06-18-2004, 10:58 PM

if you go to the FTP site instead of the website, you can see a breakdown video from my reel which shows before and after.