PDA

View Full Version : Any info on upcoming Lightwave updates?

gbw6700
02-11-2003, 04:25 PM
I have come to a point where our production pipeline needs an overhaul. Right now, we are completely dependent on Lightwave as our 3D solution. However, Lightwave hasn't seen an update for quite some time, and I have heard nary a whisper about any upcoming versions. Does anyone have any information about what is in LW's future? I have heard about the split between Newtek and the newly formed Luxology, but who is now developing Lightwave?

We are already considering other solutions, such as Maya or Cinema 4d on OS X, or Softimage on XP, if Lightwave proves not to be a forward-looking soluton. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Elmar Moelzer
02-11-2003, 07:43 PM
LW is fine, no split up development. NT is still the only developer of LW. The next updates will rock!
You will see...
CU
Elmar

Bytehawk
02-12-2003, 03:33 AM
nothing to see here
move along

move along
nothing to see here

keep moving

:D :D :D

Red_Oddity
02-14-2003, 03:59 AM
Patience is a virtue....lamalamalama:o :o :o

mlinde
02-14-2003, 10:02 AM
I can tell you there is a team working on an update. I can't tell you anything about the update, who the people are, where they are, or what the timeline is. However, I can tell you there is an update in beta, according to a very reliable source.

Matt
02-14-2003, 11:18 AM
I like to think the team is sooooooooooo busy working on an update that they haven't had time to even leave their desks and eat, let alone release information to the press!!!

:)

mattclary
02-14-2003, 02:46 PM
I heard they have them hooked up to IVs, catheters, and colostomy bags! :cool:

novadesigns
02-14-2003, 10:39 PM
I have to say that I am at a bit of a loss to understand why your production pipeline would need an overhaul due to using Lightwave? Its does its job extremely well, and in most cases far better than the competition. Our company cranks out shows every week using Lightwave, and while there are undoubtedly ways we have found to improve LW for our own needs, there is no compelling reason to switch to another software package. Most other software is more expensive, less stable, and lacking in key areas where Lightwave serves our needs. Rendering quality, speed, and ease of use are examples that come to mind

Now if your concern is that Lightwave might not be around in say, another year or so, for some reason... Well, that's always a concern, and a risk one takes equiping a studio. But Maya would be an even greater risk, as A|W is quite an unstable company... plus you'd be risking much more money. You could go with XSI, but what would you be gaining? Nothing that I could see that would justify such a major upheaval to an established workflow. And once again, its massively more expensive for essentially no improvements.

My suggestion would be to look into ways to make your pipeline more efficient and cost effective. However, if you are finding Lightwave lacking in a specific area of your production, then it might be that either you're using the wrong software for the task (i.e. using LW for a compositing or motion tracking tool--as I've seen people try to do before), or you might need someone to program very specific features for you (something done at our studio and others I know of).

Can you say what it is that is holding you back by using Lightwave?

Freak
02-15-2003, 01:33 AM
Soon!

wiremuse
02-15-2003, 03:49 AM
Isn't it always "Soon" ? :p I

hope they spill some kind of info soon on at least what is being fixed / improved / added since any "real" info hasn't been tosses out lately(aside from yes we're working on it)

In fact I've known several individuals and one studio first hand who have been Evaluating apps for use and loved lightwave but came across this *"Lack of Customer/Development Communication" and simply turned the other way thinking, "NewTek doesn't tell their own customers whats in line for them how can I possibly keep faith that this is going to be improved or this is going to be fixed. I'd rather pay more for reassurance ".."this" being whatever. They would go Maya or XSI or *ghast* even 3DSMax even though LW suited most their needs despite lacking in some areaor some things being buggy they wanted to know if those features were in the process of being fixed and improved (animation tools (like a real dope sheet better keying (ala` Keytrack) / shader networks/nodes better scripting capabilities/integration that sort of thing to name a few.

Just kills me though when I see stuff like that happen because I don't see why it should. On the bright side I did manage to get 2 users who do a lot of animation and design contracting to go LW and keep the faith.

*I also want some people reading this to keep in mind they didn't beleive LW was dead or not being developed. I was also being consulted to some extent by these people doing my best to move them to LW.

At one point both Alias|Wavefront and Softimage was like this. However even with the "Sumatra" project (now known as XSI) Softimage was still sharing information (all be it minimal but did give feature lists saying that maybe 70% of this is 100% sure and the rest is "maybe") with it's users and it was "hush hush" Same thing goes for Alias|Wavefront they have excellent communication letting users know what is in the works. I can't say much about Discreet since I honestly don't know much abou them. However Softimage and Alias seemed to understand the problems they had before things were so nice with the lack of such communication due to feedback from their users and things improved.

Better communication on such subjects I think is required now simply because things are /far/ more competative than ever.

Freak
02-15-2003, 03:21 PM
I can't say i agree Neurostim.....

I don't think it's in Newteks best interest to let customers know of new (free updates) or upcoming releases. (or features)
When it's released, is the only time people need to know.
(the rest of the time, they would just like to know)

Letting people know, your working on a Linux render node, 12months before it's released, only hurts your company.

Newtek has stated publically, that another 7.x release will be made. (mainly bug fixes and Linux node)

Newtek have stated that they are working on version 8.0
Apart from that, i think it's silly for a company to comment
on future speculation.

I honestly can say that Alias, Avid and Discreet have never offered me any better information on anything.

They have often given spin to PR guys to make customers think they were being listened too. (but i see nothing)

I usually find i can find out what i want from NT....
(it can take some digging)

I think NT are getting better at marketing, the NY demo could be evidence of that. Showing people new features, telling them they are special because they get to see secret new tools.

And then go and watch as those "special" people, spread the rumours. And post endless messages on LW's new features.

It's a very smart form of marketing, in which people don't even know, that they are an advertising billboard.

It works, because all of those people, go and tell 10 people, who tell 10 people, etc.... Before you know it, everyone is talking about how LW8 will contain cool new tools... :)

NT aren't as silly as they sometimes can appear to be.... :)

I'm sure you will see more of it, as 8 get's closer......
Meanwhile i'll be happy with 7.6 and LScript 2.6...

Luxology has been the only thorn in NT's side over the last, 12months and the whole idea is to make NT look shakey.... So they stand a better chance of gaining control.

But endless speculation on new features, serves no purposes.

SplineGod
02-17-2003, 04:09 AM
Newtek has repeatedly stated on several forums that Lightwave Development is ongoing and in progress. They have never stated what will be in the next releases of Lightwave so thats never changed. Newteks been around a long time and will continue to be around.

mattclary
02-17-2003, 08:09 AM
Announcing planned release dates just sets you up for missed dead lines and/or rushing something out the door. I would rather be kept in the dark and get a(nother) top notch product from Newtek when they deem it's ready.

WCameron
02-18-2003, 12:12 AM
closest we've gotten is about a week and a half ago or so Proton
said the following two weeks would see some big announcments
from Newtek.

In the first week we got the Aura 2.5B update patch.

Its now the second week :-)

And a few weeks back they released a Video Toaster patch, so unless its about some new style apparel, I think We might be able
to put 2 and 2 together and guess whats next.

Ofcourse I could be wrong...

- Will.