PDA

View Full Version : ye old burning fuse- how totwist the rope into shape

3dgirl
06-03-2004, 06:34 PM
i am trying to make a fuse which will eventually burn away to reveal a logo. now to actually make the fuse rope, i have made a disc and used rail extrude to stretch it out along a spline curve that gives me the shape i want. however this just makes quite a boring round "cord", and i would prefer a twisted rope type cord. i have modeled such a rope, but don't know how to get it to twist into the shape of the spline curve? rail extrude doesn't seem to do it (it just uses the end points rather than the whole shape), and rail clone leaves gaps and doesn't curve the rope...., and from what i read about path extrude, it doesn't do it either....any pointers?

also any tips on tutorials for doing the burning fuse bit- fiery sparkler kind of effect? i know how to make it move along my spline path, but not how to make it look good! (hypervoxels etc)

HowardM
06-03-2004, 10:53 PM
just make 3 discs and extrude them, then twist them.
:D

3dgirl
06-03-2004, 11:23 PM
yeh i've got that far, but i want that rope to then curve and twist around along a specified spline curve which roughly imitates the shape of my logo.....

BTW check your private messages, i wrote you a question a post you helped me with a few months ago....

SplineGod
06-04-2004, 02:18 AM
Make a couple of splines with a bunch of points. Twist them and then bend them the way you want them to bend then rail extrude those 3 disks along them.

shadersrjj
06-04-2004, 03:30 AM
Here's a twisted cord tutorial using IFW2 Tetxures. This
could be adapted using an image map.

http://www.shaders.org/ifw2_textures/tutorial9.htm

RJJ

pdrake
06-04-2004, 10:22 AM
this would be very easy with spline control in layout.

i made this in about 5 mins.