PDA

View Full Version : Aura Projects won't load into TED

Jim Wainscott
03-25-2003, 08:57 PM
No Aura projects will load into Ted, including the ones Newtek created. Reinstalling build 3866 (full blown version) didn't help. Had no such problem before build 3866.

The aura project icons in Ted just show up as the aura logo colored red gren and blue. The usual drag and drop doesn't work.

Anyone else with this problem?

SBowie
03-25-2003, 09:25 PM
You mean ".aur" files? These don't load into TEd, never did. If working with animation sequences or video, you need to set Aura's save Mode to RTV, and export the sequence. Stills can be numerous formats - Targa or PNG can preserve the alpha channel.

Jim Wainscott
03-26-2003, 09:30 AM
The very same projects that loaded into TED before (in a prior build) now no longer load under build 3866. Went into Windows under file properties and found that my RTV, DEEP, JPG, etc files were converted by build 3866 back into AUR format. These were projects I had stored on drives separate from the system drive.

I also (still) occasionally get the "Asset list error" messages. Is this a driver issue. I get no warnings that I am about to run out of memory.

System config is (what Newtek recommended - bought from dealer):
Supermicro P4DC6+ dual 2GHZ xeon
1 Gig RD-800 RAM
System Drive - Maxtor 40 GB
Secondary Drive - same (used for DVE's and Aura projects)
4 drive SCSI array for uncompressed video
Firewire Drive for Adobe stuff and backups
All other components are what Newtek recommended

Jim Wainscott
03-26-2003, 09:32 AM
To the webmaster, please give me time to type in a message before timing out on me and trashing my message.

Jim Wainscott
03-26-2003, 10:12 AM
Update: In Aura I did the following:
Mode>D1-RTV
Save As > filename.rtv
Note the file requester did not recognize the mode I just changed to so I replaced the .aur extension with .rtv. Aura went through the motions of converting the file respectively. I closed out the file in Aura. Went into TED and also Properties in Windows and the file still remained as filename.aur.

I reread the Aura manual chapter 2 pages 2.8 - 2.11. There were no further insights into the problem I'm experiencing.

Can anyone help?

SBowie
03-26-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Jim Wainscott
Update: In Aura I did the following:
Mode>D1-RTV
Save As > filename.rtv Jim -- try using "Export Sequence" instead. Both "Save" and "Save As" are for saving Aura projects (.aur files). Aura projects will not load into Toaster Edit, DDR's, etc. Never have, probably never will.

Jim Wainscott
03-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Steve and others:

This time I used the Export function instead of the Save As function. This appears to work in the 3866 build.

Lets see if I'm grasping the concept of Save AS verses Export -
Save As is used for simply changing file names.
Export is used when you want to convert to a different file format.
Is this correct? - Aura manual is not clear on this.

I also use Photoshop - Adobe is more friendly about file conversions.

I used to not to have to worry about going through the sequence of Mode > File Format then Export > filename.extension. Aura used to automatically recognize whether I was using a still image or sequence and use my last used sequence or still file format when I saved my projects. Something obviously has changed.

Steve - thanks for your input. Very much appreciate!

Scott Bates
03-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Save As is used for simply changing file names.
Yes and no. It can be used that way, but it's purpose is to save an Aura project (.aur) as Steve said. Normally you would use "Save As" to name and save a project the first time you do it. "Save" is then used to resave the same project after changes are made. Save and Save As can not be used to save (export) a graphic of any sort (.tga, .jpg, .rtv, or whatever); that function is handled by the Export command.

Export is used when you want to convert to a different file format
No, it's used to export (save) your project in the graphic format of your choice, as specified in the Mode option; either as a still frame or as a sequence of individual stills or as a sequence as a video clip. Once you have exported a project as a graphic still or sequence you can then change the graphic Mode (format) and export it again, but you're not converting anything, just exporting the project a second time in a different format. There is no conversion of any sort going on because you're working with the Aura Project, not a graphic element of any sort.

I used to not to have to worry about going through the sequence of Mode > File Format then Export > filename.extension. Aura used to automatically recognize whether I was using a still image or sequence and use my last used sequence or still file format when I saved my projects. Something obviously has changed.
I could be wrong, but TTBOMK Aura has always worked the way it does now. You first have to select the Mode (graphic format) you want to save in; it has no way of knowing whether you want to export a still graphic or a graphic sequence (or in which format) until you tell it what you want. While Aura does "remember" the last format you selected, that's only because it does not change the selected format until you tell it to do so.

SBowie
03-26-2003, 02:33 PM
Scott's right (per usual) - Aura has been this way all along.

Unlike Photoshop, which primarily concerns itself with single images, Aura is set up for either sequences or singletons. So it differentiates between Saving, a project specific action, and Exporting as imagery in standard file formats.

In Photoshop, when you Save As and select PSD filemode, you save the entire project in a form that preserves it's component layers. Select something like TIFF, TARGA or JPEG, you get only the single image, no layers.

Aura's Save/Save As menu point does the same thing as saving as a PSD (in fact you can load PSD's as Aura projects with layers intact) -- it Save's the whole project, in layers ... including all frames of any animated layers.

Export/Export Sequence is (are?) used to designate what sort of image output you want from a project -- still image, animations or image sequence. The export file format is designated by the current File>Mode selection.

So, Adobe treats an entire project just like any other file format, saving it when you 'Save As' a PSD. In Aura, Load as well as Save and Save As are exlusively used to deal with entire projects. Though you can directly load an image or anim using Load, doing so will open a new project. By contrast, Import and Import Sequence correspond to the Export menu points, and will load imagery into a new layer of an already existing project.

I hope this helps explain things a bit.

To be honest, I've been arguing for some time that this could be improved. I would prefer to use the more common arrangement where Save and Save As combined both the current Export and Save functions, offering variously to save a Project, an Image, or a Sequence, then offering direct selection of an appropriate file format.

Scott Bates
03-26-2003, 03:11 PM
Scott's right (per usual)
Made my day Steve - 'nother gold star for my calendar, just like Mom used to do - it's beer time! :D

Since I'm not that familiar with Photoshop I left out any comparisons to it in my response. Really need to find the time to climb that learning curve one of these days.

SBowie
03-26-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by sbates

Really need to find the time to climb that learning curve one of these days. I can only say "Why bother?" :-p

Scott Bates
03-26-2003, 09:42 PM
I can only say "Why bother?" :-p
Why just like Everest Steve, 'cause it's there ;)

Actually I was (and still am) very happy with PaintShopPro, learned to use a bunch of neat graphic tools with the Classic Toaster and Flyer, then Aura came along (WOW!) and it's just seemed more worth my while to spend the learning time with Aura and Revolution[2]. I've got Photoshop in the toolbox here and use it to batch process still sequences occasionally, but just never seem to need to go further, so far.

Jim Wainscott
03-26-2003, 09:48 PM
Steve and Scott

Thank you both for your great support on this matter. My brain cells are happier now!

Let's see if this analogy works:
The .aur file format is like the trunk of a tree.
The Export functions are like the branches.
The fruits at the end of the branches are the file formats you can translate to.
Note this is a multi-cultural tree (ha ha).

In Summary:
Use an EXPORT function to translate from .aur to another file format, keeping the .aur file and creating the file translation.
Use an IMPORT function to bring in something compatible to an Aura project and thus a new layer is created.
Use a LOAD function to start a new project bringing in something compatible already created.

I think I 've got it now!

SBowie
03-27-2003, 06:30 AM
Give the man a (licorice) cee-gar! Now go forth a pluck fruit from that tree :-)