PDA

View Full Version : chanfer?

agentboolen
06-03-2004, 09:27 AM
hi guys, im making a model and i need to use a technique that is called in 3ds max a chanfer. Its when i grab 1 point and have it split up into 4 different points. Is there a way that i can split the points? If anyone has a clue of what im asking could you help? I would apreciate it very much.

Thanks
Frank :confused:

eblu
06-03-2004, 10:50 AM
unweld.

found in the detail menu

pdrake
06-03-2004, 12:13 PM
do you mean "chamfer"?

are you trying to round the corner of a box?

try using rounder in the multiply menu.

agentboolen
06-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by pdrake
do you mean "chamfer"?

are you trying to round the corner of a box?

try using rounder in the multiply menu.

pdrake, yea i do mean the chamfer, sorry dont have 3ds max here so i couldn't look it up. Now for the rounder tool that your talking about, i dont see one of them in my multiply menu? Im using version 7.5

Also eblu, you said the unweld, but when i click a point then use the unweld i dont really see anything happen? I tried to go in really close and see if im left with 2 or more points but i only see 1. Am i doing anything wrong?

Frank

Lynx3d
06-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Well Rounder was formerly a 3rd party plugin developed by Richard Brak and got acquired by LW8, which unfortunately means you can not purchase it for previous versions anymore...

pdrake
06-03-2004, 01:28 PM
can you post an image?

is it just simple one corner? is it something where you could send the model and instructions and i could do it, then send the file back?

i wonder if i could sell my copy of rounder that i bought?

agentboolen
06-03-2004, 01:46 PM
here is a pic, all i want to do is split the point. Im not actually rounding out a corner.

Frank

agentboolen
06-03-2004, 01:50 PM
here is the file, if you do it please let me know how you did it.

frank

pdrake
06-03-2004, 02:04 PM
divide tool. select two points along a segment and click divide. puts a point inbetween them.

hope this is right.

don't know if it's only in lw8 or if 7.5c has it.

agentboolen
06-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by pdrake
divide tool. select two points along a segment and click divide. puts a point inbetween them.

hope this is right.

don't know if it's only in lw8 or if 7.5c has it.

pdrake it might just be me but i couldn't figure out where you did the changes on the file. But dont worry about it anyway, i just ended up using the knife tool and cutting things up, now its the way i want it too be. I was just hoping they had that tool to make Lightwave just a little more easier for me to adjust too. Its really amazing how different 3ds max and Lightwave feel from eachother, but i think im starting to feel a little bit at home with Lightwave.

Thanks everyone for trying to help me out, ill have more questions later. LOL :p

Frank

eblu
06-03-2004, 02:46 PM
unweld wouldn't have done what you wanted.
it actually splits the polygons, making two, unconnected points where one used to be (in the case of two connected polygons). it doesn't look any different either, the two points sit right on top of each other.

bandsaw could have done what you wanted, its possible that you could have done it with bevel or Smooth shift. Knife is reasonable too. It all depends on Exactly what you want. LW has quite a few nice tools that help you in this area.

I can even imagine a situation where you use unweld, pull the points apart and make a new polygon between the original polys with the "make polygon" tool (never used it in the menus, just select the points in order and hit the "p" key).