PDA

View Full Version : ScreamerNet Video Tutorial

Matt
06-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Despite writing a lengthy tutorial on the subject, I still receive quite a few emails regarding ScreamerNet, so to complement the PDF tutorial, here is a video tutorial showing how to setup ScreamerNet for Windows.

setting_up_screamernet.zip (12.5mb) (http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/temp/setting_up_screamernet.zip)

You'll need the TechSmith Screen Codec (TSSC) (http://www.techsmith.com/download/tsccdefault.asp) to view it.

You may also want to grab the PDF (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/gorner/3.html) too, which goes into much more detail.

Hope you find it useful!

Regards
Matt

Matt
06-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Okay, I've updated the video, if you grabbed the first one, this one is better!

setting_up_screamernet.zip (13.2mb) (http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/temp/setting_up_screamernet.zip)

Cheers
Matt

P.S. This is for Windows only, just thought you Mac guys might want to know before downloading!

Darttman
06-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Thank you for the post and link Matt

bcgrafix
06-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Won't play. Guess I don't have the codec?

Matt
06-10-2004, 03:07 AM
Thanks!

You can find the link for the codec at the top of the thread.

Cheers
Matt

bcgrafix
06-10-2004, 01:05 PM
awww... man... only windows compatible... anyone have a converter, or something that will make it into another codec?

jamesl
06-11-2004, 01:24 AM
Well... it's a video about setting up Screamernet for windows...

Matt
06-11-2004, 02:29 AM
You can view it on a Mac, Riki has successfully.

You need to download the Ensharpen Codec (which includes the TSS Codec) grab it here:

Ensharpen for OSX (http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_48/ensharpendecoder_macosx.dmg)

Ensharpen for Mac OS9 (http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_48/ensharpendecoder_mac.hqx)

Let me know if it helps.

Cheers
Matt

zapper1998
08-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi Matt
I need some help please

Michael

Matt
08-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Okay, go ahead, what can I help you with?

zapper1998
08-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Ok, I have WIN XP Pro on 1 machine and Win 2000 Pro, on the other.
I followed your TUT to the letter, And Nothing is working with LW_9.
Have the Pluggins loaded and Read only..Autoscan is off.
Is there any thing I am missing, I checked the paths for the Configs and Content.
I would Love to get the Bloody thing to work some day....arrrgggghhhh...
How something so simple so can be so fustrating...

It works fine ( ScreamerNet) with LW8.5, Just can't get it to work with LW_9......

Thank you
Michael

zapper1998
08-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Ok Got the ScreamerNet for LW_9, to work in WIN XP 64 Pro, except it does not save the Images to the Screamer_Save folder.

Any Ideas to why it won't save the images ????

Michael

Matt
08-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Ahhhhhh, I think this is pretty straight forward, it looks like you've not enclosed the path names in quotes, ScreamerNet doesn't like spaces, so in your batch files make sure you surround your paths with " "

Your batch files should read:

@echo OFF
@echo "LightWave ScreamerNet Node 1 ..."

cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs"

LWSN -2 -c"\\64bitlightwave\S_Net_LW9_32\LightWave 3D 9\Config_SN" -d\\64bitlightwave\S_Net_LW9_32\LightWave_9\Content "\\64bitlightwave\S_Net_LW9_32\LightWave 3D 9\Screamer_Command\job1" "\\64bitlightwave\S_Net_LW9_32\LightWave 3D 9\Screamer_Command\ack1"

Also, just to point out the lines with REM in front are only to comment the script, they are not actually needed.

Let's know how you get on.

Cheers
Matt

Matt
08-10-2006, 07:10 PM
You replied why I was replying!

The save issue could be an access issue, when on the other node (not the one with your full LightWave installed on it) can you access and save a file to the Screamer_Save folder?

Also, make sure your LW9EXT.cfg file in your shared config folder has all the plugins using the shared network address and not a local one.

Open it up in a text editor and check.

zapper1998
08-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Ok got it running with saving the image files

I had a word missing,

"LightWave 3D 9" in the content string, oopppsss

Thank you so much, for your help, I have learned allot today.

Thank you
Thank you

Oh just a quick stupid question, How do I get LW_9 to save a .mov animation file, using screamernet???

Michael

mrunion
08-11-2006, 07:27 AM
I don't beleive you can save animations with screamernet. It'd be impossible as each computer would have to assemble their own "copy" of the animation.

Matt
08-11-2006, 11:23 AM
mrunion is correct, ScreamerNet is for frames only, to render an animation (.mov etc) you can only do that from within LW itself.

jdsax
08-21-2006, 08:17 PM
If screamernet is for single frames only, how do you set up a render farm for Lightwave? I thought that's what screamernet was for.:confused: :confused:

Keep the answer simple, as I am.

zapper1998
08-22-2006, 06:15 AM
how do you set up the nodes, as far starting and stopping the nodes from the host computer???????

dballesg
08-22-2006, 06:25 AM
how do you set up the nodes, as far starting and stopping the nodes from the host computer???????

Hi zapper,

You mean turn on your nodes (beign these turned off) from another computer?

For that you need the Wake On Lan activated on the BIOS of each of your nodes.

And for the netwrok controller, you must have on its energy options the Allow this device to turn on the computer and as well to activate the options WakeUp on ARP/PING, Wake Up on Link Change y WakeUp using APM Mode.

After that you need a program that send Magic Packets to the nodes from your host computer, as for example AMD Magic Packet.

Do a search on Google for Wake On Lan there is hundreds of tutorials.

An to turn them off, I use remote desktop, I have a connection on my workstation so I use those to enter on them, and use the Task Manager to turn them off.

I hope you was talking about this.

Best regards,
David

mrunion
08-22-2006, 07:11 AM
JDSAX:

You render each frame individually and then assemble them into an animation using either LW or some other program (Adobe Premier, etc.). This is the way all render farms work as far as I'm aware of.

dballesg
08-22-2006, 08:45 AM
JDSAX:

You render each frame individually and then assemble them into an animation using either LW or some other program (Adobe Premier, etc.). This is the way all render farms work as far as I'm aware of.

If I remember well the wonderful StealthNet allowed to assemble avi's and movs directly during the network render setup.

A pity Newtek discontinued it! :(

Best regards,
David

jdsax
08-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Bummer. I've completely misunderstood the concept. Until now, that is.

Matt
08-24-2006, 12:15 PM
You can use LW itself to build animations after rendering frames over ScreamerNet.

jdsax
08-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Thank you for helping my ignorant self. I need all the help I can get. :D

Phil
08-29-2006, 10:44 AM
If I remember well the wonderful StealthNet allowed to assemble avi's and movs directly during the network render setup.

A pity Newtek discontinued it! :(

Best regards,
David

Did it ever work? I never got it to, that's for sure.....

GregMalick
08-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Individual frames are the way to go. :twak:
If something goes south in the middle of creating an AVI - you are out of luck.
If you are rendering the frames of an animation - you can easily pick up from where the problem started and not lose that initial render time.

:hey:

dballesg
08-30-2006, 06:32 AM
Did it ever work? I never got it to, that's for sure.....

Well I installed it a few years back on my old company on a network with seven PIII 700MHz and worked for me! :)

I remember was quite awful to install :), but if I remember well, I followed a set of instructions that were in PDF, kinda Matt's tutorial for Screamernet. I do not think I have a copy of that pdf anymore! :(

Best regards,
David

Matt
08-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Hmmmmmm, I should update these tutorials for v9 I think!

elijahnow
10-09-2006, 08:49 AM
I haven't watched 2 minutes of the screamernet setup video and already have a question. I don't want to get to the end and find out I should have asked it at the begging.
As you can tell I haven't done this before and I want to make sure I do it right. I am using LW v9 and running window 2000 pro.
With v9 the LightWave folder is in the NewTek folder which is in the program folder, which is different than the video shows. And when in I try to do the setup properties using the LightWave folder I can't change LightWave 3D 9 to screamernet in the share name box. If I use the NewTek folder I can change the box to screamernet.
Should I use the LightWave folder and leave the LightWave 3D 9 in the box, or use the NewTek folder and change the box to screamernet?
And will everything else go as it is in the video or are there some other things to do differently?
Thanks for any help.

jimiclaybrooks
03-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I wanna say thank u Matt for your tut on screamernet. I still remember the last time I followed your tut when I installed screamernet on ver. 8, or maybe it was 7? Anyway... It worked like a charm then, but this time there are issues.
The setup is ok, as far as I can tell. All the nodes show up on the screamernet
panel. I load the file ok, but the frames aren't showing up in the output file. screamernet says the render time is 1 second, so we know that something is wrong. I just don't know what that might be. Maybe the content directory?
Its a simple enough scene. not alot to look at, its just a test. Well the render is finished, all 180 frames, but the folder is empty. What??:bangwall:

dballesg
03-08-2008, 09:35 AM
I wanna say thank u Matt for your tut on screamernet. I still remember the last time I followed your tut when I installed screamernet on ver. 8, or maybe it was 7? Anyway... It worked like a charm then, but this time there are issues.
The setup is ok, as far as I can tell. All the nodes show up on the screamernet
panel. I load the file ok, but the frames aren't showing up in the output file. screamernet says the render time is 1 second, so we know that something is wrong. I just don't know what that might be. Maybe the content directory?
Its a simple enough scene. not alot to look at, its just a test. Well the render is finished, all 180 frames, but the folder is empty. What??:bangwall:

Hi,

Check your config files. If I remember well, when screamernet doesn't output any image it is because can not find the plugin for input and output of images.

David

jimiclaybrooks
03-08-2008, 10:55 AM
dballesg,
thanks. that makes sense in one sense. What I would need to know at this point is... are these the same configs that I used in the regular install, and if so, what's the difference? But sure, I'lll definitely look into that. and thanks again. OHHHH! Let me not forget. I might mention, there's definitely something wrong with the configs because I can't install all my third party plugins. LW keeps crashing when I go the the "plugn's" folder. Maybe I should just redo all the configs?? Not sure how this is supposed to go since I now have two installs of LWave.

Matt
03-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Ideally you should have two sets of configs, one for regular LightWave use, and one for ScreamerNet.

The SN ones should have all paths using the UNC network address path and not local ones (c:\ ... etc.)

This is especially important for the LWEXT.cfg which stores the location of all your plugins.

jimiclaybrooks
03-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Hey Matt!
Yeah, indeed I do. I followed your tut 2 the letter, and it worked ok. But now I find that the 3rd party plugins that I use, ( and there's lots of them) won't load when I try and re-install them. LWave IMMEDIATELY crashes! Since I have two seats of LWave, I just replaced the ones on my new machine with the ones from my laptop. I'm wondering if this is an issue, since the new machine is a 64 bit machine on XP Pro 64 bit. the Laptop is 32bit. Same LWinstall on both machines, the 32 bit one. Funny how ironic this is. all this new machine, and I can't get anything to work. BTW, I use UNC addresses for the network. I find its better. so what say ye??

dballesg
03-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi,

Do you use same user accounts on the laptop and your machine? Maybe it is a permissions thing on the plugins you copied from one machine to the other?

David

jimiclaybrooks
03-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah,
now that you mention it, the new machine has me as "Administrator", so it just might be that its a permission thing. IN THAT CASE! What praetell should a body do?? I should mention that the network is open, and there's no issues with file sharing, to the best of my knowledge. Still... it is a network and I"m not the smartest guy when it comes to network admin. issues. thanks

jimiclaybrooks
03-09-2008, 11:32 AM
OK,
Things have gotten really interesting. I have the dos window that tells me the render is done. BUT!! At the very outset, it also says it can't find the scene file.
Now the UNC name is there, but what on earth would keep the scene file from loading?? Is that also a config issue??

dballesg
03-09-2008, 01:24 PM
It could be. It doesn't load the scene or stop it at the middle of loading it? You do not received any kind of error on the dos window?

Matt
11-11-2008, 07:33 AM
When we switched web servers all the LightWave files I posted were lost, including this one.

So here it is again for those who have PM'd me asking for it. Although, this whole tutorial needs updating for 9.5. Still, the basic concept is the same.

13.2 MB Zipped AVI Movie (Needs TSCC Codec (http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp))
setting_up_screamernet.zip (www.creactive-design.co.uk/lightwave/tutorials/setting_up_screamernet.zip)

Cheers
Matt

vahid2009
11-18-2008, 09:34 PM
thank you for help me.
thanks

Hieron
11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Hmm, trying to figure out how to get it running too :)

I get them to communicate alright, it loads the objects and the textures fine. However it can't load the plugins, and I don't get why really...

The problem could be that in my Scream Lightwave, it always puts the directory of the plugins (if you check in plugins window, and check "file") as my local HD. But I do scan the folder from the network, and I tried to change the EXT cfg file too. it doesn't care, it puts the reference to a local drive.

That should be my issue I guess.. but how to solve it :|

Any help?

Hieron
11-20-2008, 05:08 PM
If I clear and rescan the plugins over the network (but to the same computer), the list shows correctly. If I close down LW, the EXT file is correctly written.

If I restart LW, all plugins are again named as D:\ etc...

Vista 64 bit..

dballesg
11-20-2008, 05:14 PM
If I clear and rescan the plugins over the network (but to the same computer), the list shows correctly. If I close down LW, the EXT file is correctly written.

If I restart LW, all plugins are again named as D:\ etc...

Vista 64 bit..

Do you have the Auto Scan Plugins option ON? I will bet that is why LW it is putting the reference to your plugins to your local drive every time you restart it.

David

Hieron
11-20-2008, 05:20 PM
k, good one.. sec

Hieron
11-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks a dozen! That and perhaps the Autoload Master plugin thing above it (clicked it for good measure) did the trick.. and it is loading the scene now.

Would be great if it renders correctly now too :)

Thanks again!!

Weevil
12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the tut Matt. I'm having difficulty setting up the targets for the desktop shortcuts. This is Windows XP Pro. I keep getting an error that the path is not valid. In your example, the path is there. On my computer, it's in quotes.

Please help.

OlaHaldor
01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
How's it going? Will there be a tutorial for 9.5? :)

I've got a self built rig (mostly or gaming, but it serves as the LW machine as I'm mainly a Mac and Final Cut guy), a Mac Pro 8-core and a MacBook - all ready for some pixel chewing..

Scazzino
01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
For the Mac check out my tutorial.
Mastering LightWave ScreamerNet for Mac OS X (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html)

It includes using DLI_SNUB-Launcher (http://dreamlight.com/webshop/utilities/snublauncher.html) to configure and launch the ScreamerNet UB nodes as well as the built-in ScreamerNet control panel, RenderFarm Commander (http://www.brucerayne.com/renderfarm.html) and ScreamerNet Controller for Mac OS X (http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/) as render controllers.

:beerchug:

Matt
01-13-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm in the process of starting to update this video for the latest version of LightWave. Will be a full video tutorial with me ranting over the top, so should be much easier to follow.

I'll also be going into how ScreamerNet actually works, which helps you understand the process making it easier to troubleshoot when things don't go according to plan!

GregMalick
01-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm in the process of starting to update this video for the latest version of LightWave. Will be a full video tutorial with me ranting over the top, so should be much easier to follow.

I'll also be going into how ScreamerNet actually works, which helps you understand the process making it easier to troubleshoot when things don't go according to plan!

I look forward to it!

cheers! :beerchug:

Hopper
01-13-2009, 09:23 PM
oooh oooh!! You'l be putting in some cool animations to help visualize it right!!!??!! :D

Edit: Someone needs to do one on how to use a set of Linux boxes as render boxes. I've done it using WINE and Samba mounts and it's not difficult but someone brings that question up every couple of months it seems. I would, but hose boxes are long since gone.

Scazzino
01-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Double post...

Scazzino
01-13-2009, 09:51 PM
...I'll also be going into how ScreamerNet actually works, which helps you understand the process making it easier to troubleshoot when things don't go according to plan!

Even though my white paper is based on the Mac, it goes into great detail on how ScreamerNet works and the concepts work the same way cross-platform. It's mostly the paths and locations that vary across platforms, but the functioning is the same... So until Matt updates his great PC video tutorial feel free to wade through Mastering LightWave ScreamerNet for Mac OS X (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html) which will give you a good grasp of how ScreamerNet itself works in general. The more you know about haw it functions, the easier it is to troubleshoot...

:D

Matt
01-14-2009, 04:14 AM
The PDF I did goes into the process, but after seeing the production on these video tutorials (http://www.guerrillacg.org/) I realised I need to step my game up!

:)

Scazzino
01-14-2009, 10:27 AM
The PDF I did goes into the process, but after seeing the production on these video tutorials (http://www.guerrillacg.org/) I realised I need to step my game up!

:)

I'm sure your up to the task Matt! :D

colkai
01-22-2009, 12:36 PM
bumpety bump..hullo Matt! ;) :p

Matt
01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Yes, I've not forgotten! I held things back a bit until 9.6, made sense!

colkai
01-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Hehe...well, you know, gotta pointy stick here and was bored. ;)

mosconariz
03-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Matt, your tut rules!!

Just a question... Years ago someone told me that a good renderfarm is made out of almost identical computers.

Today, running SN for the first time in 2 computers I'm noticing that the one with 4 cores isn't working as much as the one with 2 cores... The quad is literally waiting for the dual to finish each frame... Is there a way to give the double of tasks to the quad?

JonW
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
I have 9.6 running on via SN on a E5450 V8, E5335 V8, 940 & 920. I have the number of threads on auto, & all computers work at full speed as one node per computer, & all via remote desktop. If you set up remote desktop use the same single letter on each node for the pass word & then its quick to fire up each node, you can also shut down each node via RDT, right click Time to open WTM.

Weevil
03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
I have 9.6 running on via SN on a E5450 V8, E5335 V8, 940 & 920. I have the number of threads on auto, & all computers work at full speed as one node per computer, & all via remote desktop. If you set up remote desktop use the same single letter on each node for the pass word & then its quick to fire up each node, you can also shut down each node via RDT, right click Time to open WTM.

Can you give us a step by step? I swear, why hasn't NT written a comprehensive document on ScreamerNet?:twak:

JonW
04-01-2009, 02:51 AM
I’m busy at the moment but I hope this is enough to get it going.

I had set up SN years ago on an AMD Athlon mp & it worked fine. Newtek really needs to fix this area up, customers are demanding more at a faster rate than new CPUs. Matt’s PDF is brilliant, but SN....... one wrong letter & nothing works.

Once you have SN working put a “-q” in the bat file code this stops all the line code.
(the code below is for my set up)

@echo OFF
echo "Lightwave ScreamerNet Node 2 initialisation ..."
cd "c:\LightWave\Programs\"
lwsn -2 -c"\\Jon-5450\screamernet\config_sn" -d\\Jon-5450\screamernet\ -q "\\Jon-5450\screamernet\screamer_command\job2" "\\Jon-5450\screamernet\screamer_command\ack2"

All my computers are using XP64, but I would imagine it would be very similar set-up for Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXp/using/mobility/getstarted/Remoteintro.mspx

You only need a Pass word on the node/s, the main computer doesn’t need one. But make the password a single letter & its for the “Administrator” in “User Accounts”, & the same letter for each computer, its easier & less keystrokes, that's all.

Like setting up SN, first completely set up one node (computer), second & third nodes etc will be a piece of cake.

Having each computer as one node means all the ram on each computer is available for one instance of LW.

mosconariz
04-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Matt, your tut rules!!

Just a question... Years ago someone told me that a good renderfarm is made out of almost identical computers.

Today, running SN for the first time in 2 computers I'm noticing that the one with 4 cores isn't working as much as the one with 2 cores... The quad is literally waiting for the dual to finish each frame... Is there a way to give the double of tasks to the quad?

That's BULLMERDE

Sorry, I didn't did enough tests with normal scenes. The quad runs sometimes 6 times more rapid than the dual, it's beatiful, and it delivers without any problem and starts again with 3,4 frames, sometimes 6 while my little duo is just rendering one frame, haha...

Jon W, that configuration looks nasty, congratulations. Hopefully I'll build something like that this Q2 or Q3 of 2009 :D

SandroBenigno
04-14-2009, 06:49 AM
I read the PDF and works fine. But I don't understood the render time.

Rendering the same frame without and with LWSN:

Direct render inside LW9.6 ---> 101 sec
LW9.6 controlling and LWSN rendering (same machine) ---> 256.8 sec

At this moment I think: "Of course... two applications consuming resources"

But... look at this:

Only LWSN (mode -3) ----> 260 sec

Isn't LWSN more fastest than LW9.6 with all his UI things, etc? Seems to be wrong...

Matt
04-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Isn't LWSN more fastest than LW9.6 with all his UI things, etc? Seems to be wrong...

I've not used ScreamerNet in quite a while, and never with 9.6. So I can't really comment with any authority on why this might be the case.

ScreamerNet should be at the very least the same, if not better.

SandroBenigno
04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
The difference wasn't on LWSN, but was on the two LW9.cfg:

R:\LW_config\lw9.cfg (default: segment memory 32MB - fastest)
R:\SN_config\lw9.cfg (changed: segment memory 1024MB - slowest)

It's strange, but makes sense. I describe it here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=871864&postcount=5

Herm
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Great tutorial. I am having problems with nodes loading the scene file as shown with the attachment. I checked the permissions for the shared folder and it checks out. Anyone has full control. This is my batch file in case there was a mistake or something is missing.

echo Lightwave ScreamerNet Node 1
cd c:\screamer\programs

LWSN -2 -c\\jessewrk\screamernet\config_sn -d\\jessewrk\screamernet\ \\jessewrk\screamernet\screamer_command\job1 \\jessewrk\screamernet\screamer_command\ack1

JonW
05-21-2009, 06:20 PM
I am no expert here, others will know infinitely more than me.

Have you got all the paths going via the entire network, make sure LW preferences, every thing is going via the entire network.

Make sure you have a copy of LW on the other computers together with a copy of the plugin folder with all the plugins that LW uses.

Quadruple check everything & write down check list.

It’s sometime best to getaway from SN for a few days & maybe getaway from it more than once. It’s a bit like Albert Einstein, if he couldn’t solve a problem he would leave it for a few days & then suddenly wake up one morning with a formula in his head.

Matt
05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I checked the permissions for the shared folder and it checks out. Anyone has full control

I would double check the permissions, sometimes you have to add users by name rather than just checking read / write for 'Everyone'.

I had to do that at work.

Wrap
07-18-2009, 01:53 PM
I have just set up SN on 9.6, running on 2 pc's.

Main pc on vista 32 and node 2 on xp pro32

All works except for the saving of files. node2 says that the save directory does not exist and the main computer is not saving the files either. odd thing is that I also have 8.5 on the machine and this works perfectly setup the same way when rendering in SN.

Not sure why neither node is saving the renders in 9.6

The output directory does exist I am looking at it now........:eek:

JonW
07-19-2009, 08:20 AM
SN is a bloody pain to get going & the documentation is abysmal. I have for the “fun” of it being trying to get it up and running on the Mac. Finally got it going on 1 Mac.

Anyway. If you have not used Matt’s PDF tutorial & there is a video, do so.

Absolutely make sure all your paths are going via the entire network. Triple check every single letter in the bat file.

Move the location where you save the files. even if only temporary.

Get away from SN for a day or so. I have found this has helped a lot, probably more so than anything else.

Wrap
07-27-2009, 06:34 AM
I have got it going with 2 nodes rendering on 1 pc, when I make a 3rd node however on a second pc it cannot access the scene file, if I then open the scene file through the network the 3rd node on machine 2 can find the scene and render but not save and the 2 on machine 1 cannot find the scene.

This is really starting to make my head hurt (last night I actually dreamed about screamernt) :help:

JonW
07-28-2009, 04:24 AM
I know how you feel, I got more than a few migraines, but you are getting there!

To speed things up make a very simple scene that has 1 object & that object has 1 small map. When testing SN just fire up node 3 & work on that problem. The scene can be just a single frame & because you only have 1 node open the single frame will be rendered on node 3. Once you have all the nodes working move the camera to make the scene a few frames long, & than test all nodes together. Also just don’t just grab objects & images from here there & anywhere. If you are using Matt’s file hierarchy & if you are re-using an object with a map (image) make sure that there is a copy of that map in the Images Folder for that Job Folder. Re-open that object from the new Object Folder in the this Job folder so that you save the Object with the Map from the folder from This job. Hopefully this is clear....?????

Basically when you start a new project & you reuse a chair or a painting on a lounge room wall etc from a previous job, you copy these objects to the new job folders for the new project & open & re-save these in the new location. It’s a little tedious & you end up with multiple copies of everything but each job is then it’s own entity (an entire job in 3 folder which can be archived &/or moved anywhere, & all the paths will be correct. this is seriously important if you have hundreds or even thousands of objects in a scene, you don’t want to be re-doing the paths for 500 objects!) When you upgrade your main computer & the customer from last year wants you to re-do some work, all will be ok.

The first node on the second computer (node 3 in your case) is a pain (for now just work with 1 node per computer, you can add as many nodes as you like later on, it’s as quick as you can type in new job# & ack# numbers), but once you have solved this (don’t give up now, just have a few breaks) then any more computers/nodes are easy, as its only a matter of copying these folders & changing the number in the bat file for each new computer. (Once set up you can change the number in the bat file at any time to rearrange the order of the nodes, e.g. my 5450 has node 1 & node 5, so if I have a large scene I just fire up 1 to 4, & small scene I fire up 1 to 8)

Anyway.... Have you put a copy of the Plugging folder & Lightwave on the second computer. Also make sure that file names don’t have any spaces in their names (e.g. “Chair-wire-alu.lwo” or “Chair_wire_alu.lwo” & “Brick-red-small.jpg” etc)

If you have saved the scene correctly & all the paths are via the ENTIRE network you should be able to open up LW with the dongle on the second computer & you will be taken to the scene automatically & the scene will load correctly from the first computer, & the files will be saved back to the correct folder on the main computer (“screamer_save” as per Matt’s tutorial in my case)

The Bat File lines of code will be the same for EVERY computer, OTHER THAN “job#” & “ack#”. The following are the paths for my computer (job8 & ack8 in my case is the second node on my computer Jon-5335, “Node_8.bat” file.) “Jon-5450” is the main computer where scene, object & image file are, & here I am using Matt’s system.

@echo OFF
echo "Lightwave ScreamerNet Node 1 initialisation ..."
cd "c:\LightWave\Programs\"
lwsn -2 -c"\\Jon-5450\screamernet\config_sn" -d\\Jon-5450\screamernet\ -q -t30 "\\Jon-5450\screamernet\screamer_command\job8" "\\Jon-5450\screamernet\screamer_command\ack8"

LEAVE THE “-q” OUT FOR NOW until you have got everything up & running, so you can read the lines of code as its loading. The “-t30” is for cancelling long renders when I realise that there is something wrong in the scene.

I would physically write everything down, it helps pick up errors. Don’t forget it maybe that you have two or three problems. (a bit like the old Christmas tree lights problem, before LEDs!)

You will get there, & in the long run you will have a much more organised system, be patient (very patient!) & have a break from it.

JonW
07-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Typo.
echo "Lightwave ScreamerNet Node 1 initialisation ..."
Should be an 8 not a 1, for the second node on my 5335.

echo "Lightwave ScreamerNet Node 8 initialisation ..."

Wrap
07-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Thanks JonW,

I will go back to it later today and see if I can get it working.

Funny how things seem so much more complicated if you dont allow yourself a break now and again.

Cheers.

JonW
07-31-2009, 06:55 AM
Wrap,
This may be one of your problems that I just had, with your third node (box #2)

I just added another node & copied the Lightwave Programs folder & the Plugin folder to the new node (box). Copied the Bat file over & renamed them (for now the new box will be nodes 9 &/or 10 until I set up the new box as the main)

Anyway.... The Bat files, 9 & 10 would not open. Then I realised that once you have copied the LW programs & plugins folder to the new box & put it in a “Lightwave” folder as per Matt’s Tutorial.

You need to launch Lightwave on the new box from the copied folder which you just copied from the main computer. Not an installed version on already on the box.

This must set up all the preferences etc (experts will know). After doing that my two new nodes worked.

I noticed that even having threads on auto. LW didn’t pick up the 16 cores & left it on 8 cores. Something else to look into with SN to make sure 8 cores aren’t sitting idle.

3dspeedmachine
5335 2.0 Ghz 2:31
920 @ 3.15 2:06
940 @ 3.83 1:49
5450 3.0 Ghz 1:38
5580 3.2 Ghz 1:04
(It goes like a rocket, but unfortunately it sounds like a rocket. I will need to do something about the heatsinks)

Wrap
08-08-2009, 05:25 AM
I wis I ad seen this earlier.

I just woke up abnd thought I would have another go at getting it going. I noticed that the 2nd machine was not able to load plugins so copied plugin folder to that machinae and worked immediately.

Now got it going on 3 machines and am very happy.

Guys, Thanks for all your help and for sticking with me through this, much appreciated. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JonW
08-08-2009, 06:04 AM
Well done.

It’s a real achievement when one has done it.

Its best to have the same hierarchy for each computer where you put the LW program, Plugins & Bat files. That way when you get a new box you just copy the folder over to the new box & everything is in the same order on this computer. Then one doesn’t need to change (cd “c:LightWave\Programs”) (this is for my computer) because now on the new computer these files will be in the same hierarchical position as they were on the old computer.

The only thing to change, is edit the Bat file, both name & within with the new node number.

Wrap, write down some notes while its still fresh in your mind. One forgets really quickly the process one has used.

JonW
03-04-2010, 03:27 PM
As far as the kids not modify the Lightwave folders in any form, location or name. you will just have to explain this to them. Maybe give the folder a different icon & say nothing must change in this folder because...........

Or if that doesn’t work, when they log into the computer, they log in as a Guest & then have access to limited parts of the computer. When you log in you log in as Administrator & have access to everything.

Use the same Password & User Name for every box. I use a single letter for each, it’s quick & easy, & just less key strokes.

I’d try the former first & get them involved, the 10 year old will probably be better than you at solving computer problems anyway. Make a simple dolls house & render the animation with them.

With Remote Desktop,

Also you can fire up the other 3 computers go back to your computer & log in with remote desktop, so then you can fire up each Node from your computer. http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24065&page=5