PDA

View Full Version : LW8 bugreport

Librarian
06-03-2004, 02:47 AM
Ive serious problems with bugs in 8, mostly Layout and with the new tools.

Layout:
- dopetrack often crashes when deleting a zone with str. + alt. Also crashes sometimes when just holding str. and moving the mouse in dopetrack.

- new bone tools. I cannot reproduce it, sometimes it works, sometimes not, but generally Layout crashes often when using new bonetools.
Examples:
- parenting nulls to bones,
- right after bone splitting and leaving bone edit mode
- by confirming joint or tip move with space

- Opening the new scene editor with str + F1 often crashes Layout

Modeler:
- DI Tools crash Modeler when using symmetry mode(they are old bugs that I had in 7.5 with power tools).
- Cut Tool when making poly loops in symmetry and then adding multiple cuts.
- make polygon causes runtime error when I try to make a poly out of some ponts that doesn`t belong to an existing geometry.
- changing the sketch color of a multi sketch object crashes Modeler. Not always, but sometimes.

Can someone confirm these?

I hope this will be addressed.

Running P4, Win2K.

Philipp
06-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Me too I'd like to add my first LW8 bugs in the modeler if these are some, please check it out.

1. Move Plus and Point on Normal don't function if I have a second layer on, which has an object on AND which is textured.
I checked it again, box and ball on differentz layers with no textures (image map) it works, ball with image map, doesn't work anymore, make only the box layer active, the commands work again.

2. Save Incremental works but LW8 doesn't update the recent files to the new incremented file. If I choose a recent file the directory isn't updated so that when I want to open the newer version I'm in another directory. (Not a content directory problem!)

3. Redraw of the view don't work correctly. It's funny but the bottom views behave correctly, the top ones, if I had another window above it (like now the explorer window) or switched the application with ALT+TAB the window are blank or semi-blank, if I make one top window fullsize I have a big blank view. It's only when I go back to the intial view (quad) that the view is redrawn correctly.

These my first things I noticed after working one hour with LW8, hope I won't find too many others...

brap
06-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Here's a new one for me. I'm really enjoying using the new Dope Track, but quite often I am unable to move a keyframe to the desired position. This seems to happen most often when trying to move a keyframe to the very end of the timeline. Let me know if anyone else is having this. While not bugs, the Dope Track and Dope Sheet REALLY need to have Undos! And, as requested by others, please make the new Scene editor position and scaling stick when you clear the scene or quit.

Also, in Modeler, DI2's Loop select will still crash occasionally if selecting oddball loops.

Here are a few more that I already sent to Newtek:

1) Modeler & Layout: Blank windows.
The viewports (including the Graph Editor ) often show up blank after being hidden. Also, viewports often go blank when switching display types. It seems that this does not occur on every system, but it certainly does on mine. I have not been able to track down when or why a window will show up blank. But switching to 16bit display mode does drastically reduce the frequency of this bug. This is a critical issue, as I often switch back and forth from other programs especially when doing modeling.

2) Modeler: Layer Insert kills layer names if there is more than one model open.

3) Layout: Clone Lights that have not been renamed do not show their names in the Light Properties window.

Librarian
06-05-2004, 03:16 AM
Could it be that the new Scene editor is responsible for most of these crashes?

I avoid using it, and it works better now.

Philipp, I can confirm your problems.

brap
06-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Robsi over at CGTalk discovered that Selection Sets in the new Scene Editor are broken. When you reload a scene, all selection sets will show 0 objects.

John Melvin
06-05-2004, 11:49 AM
I cannot get object dynamics to work. Trying cloth and wind and all it does is crash Layout. Newtek support cannot duplicate this so I assume it is not a bug and is my problem.. Wish I knew what my problem was.

John

Philipp
06-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Thanks Librarian, I'll send a copy of my post to NT.

John, have you tried a working scene, from someone else?

John Melvin
06-05-2004, 12:53 PM
No. do you have any suggestions??

Thanks

John

Philipp
06-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Had a look at the content directory...? There are a few examples in there.

Signal to Noise
06-05-2004, 02:30 PM
This thread should be made into a sticky for our (the users) and NewTek's (in)convenience.;)

I thought I'd add a bug which was originally posted by prospector in the General Discussions forum.

Open any scene with bones

Open scene editor
click properties tab
open tree to see bones
Switch bone:basic to bone:influence
change any bone setting in little window that pops up when selecting a scroll window.
then change your mind and select none

CRASH !!!!!

Same as spreadsheet !!!!!!

Some how the bone influence in either window will crash LW8 when mind is changed in scene editor or clear scene in spreadsheet.

So basically the spreadsheet and the new scene editor is worthless when working with bones, unless you either

A..never make a mistake or change your mind
or
B never close a scene

depending on which you use.

Philipp
06-06-2004, 04:44 PM
1. Move Plus and Point on Normal don't function if I have a second layer on, which has an object on AND which is textured.

in addition to that it seems that all new functions are concerned. Why only the new functions?? How can the old ones function, the new ones not??

Please NT, give us a bug-fixed LW8 as soon as you can, and the next time please be so kind and tell us that we are you beta-testers.

And how about a complete list of all known LW8 bugs and proposed workarounds, so we don't loose any work or precious time.

Travolta
06-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Just wanna add few words about bonetools.p - I was unable to start it (
After adding it to plugs listit appears on the Scene master list and Custom object list but when I`m trying to choose it LW says "Can`t load external plug....." I reinstalled LW8 several times - tryed different locations - but result always the same - also checked path to plug and it is absolutly accesseble!:confused:

mkiii
06-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Modeler: in adiition to new tools being very flakey & prone to huge slowdown, if not (in my case at least) crashes...

Most of the following (and preceeding) need to be tested on something moderately complex. So many bugs are ignored imo because the tester uses something simplistic like a one m wide box or a sphere to check bugs. Testing should be done on something that pushes the limits a little.

It now seems almost impossible to scale (stretch) equally in 2 axes reliably using CTRL to constrain the action (IE drag at 45 deg from centre to get equal scaling) without resorting to the numeric panel. 7.5 was a tad dodgy, but usually caught on to what I wanted on the second attempt.

Rotation: No matter what settings, or what pointing device, it now seems impossible to rotate someting less than 2 whole degrees. Being limited to whole degrees is badenough, but once again the numeric panel is the the only (albeit slow) solution.

The same problem applies to rotating the perspective view. It now seems to go in large discreet steps rather than smoothly, which makes it difficult to eyeball things correctly.

blabberlicious
06-29-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by brap
HDope Track...unable to move a keyframe to the desired position. This seems to happen most often when trying to move a keyframe to the very end of the timeline.....the Dope Track and Dope Sheet REALLY need to have Undos! And, as requested by others, please make the new Scene editor position and scaling stick when you clear the scene or quit.

The Scene Editor Dope sheet has an UNDO, but that only works if the Key-frame you moved is still selected. You need to Right Click to bring up a dialogue and Undo.

However...if you DARE to select other key-frames, but then wish to UNDO the previously selected keyframe.....the UNDO option disappears.

That sucks. Big-time.

Also - why aren't the Dope-track Undo functions doesn't to be mapped to a keys?. Having to right click simply to zoom in on selected parts of the screen is very tedious especially with bigger scenes- why are the Graph editor zoom functions available?

Even some simple zoom in/out shortcut would be better than this mess.

Managing keyframes in on longer scenes is needlessly slow and fiddly.

I too found it impossible to pick up keyframes on the last frame, unless I lengthened the scene 10 frames or so - then it was possible to grab them.

In my opinion, the sporadic, inconsistent UNDO functionally in LW8 is really disappointing.

brap
06-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by blabberlicious
The Scene Editor Dope sheet has an UNDO, but that only works if the Key-frame you moved is still selected. You need to Right Click to bring up a dialogue and Undo.

hehe, I never noticed that down there at the bottom of the right-click menu. Thanks, Steve. Then again, who would have guessed they'd put in a "sort of" undo without a keycut?

Anyone know what the underlying technical problem is with undos in Layout ? I mean, if my memory serves me correctly, even a lot of C-64 programs had better undos than Layout does in 2004? What gives?

blabberlicious
06-29-2004, 04:49 PM
imagine trying to create a musical about the discovery of metaphysics, to a acid jazz beat, on ice, in Chinese....

pretty much what it must be like to try and unify the disparate plug-ins that they have thrown into LW8....my heart goes out to the poor guys who have to make sense of it.

Analogies aside, you are absolutely right about the stone age feel of LW's workflow.

Would anyone like to publish a guide of the variety of Undo 'options' available to us in LW8 layout?
eg. no Bone tool Undos (or even cancel edits?), weird partial Undos for selected DopeTrack Items, no option to canel or reset texture properties during an edit (mad), awful jittery mutislection dialogue for the Scene editor....not to mention no options to map any of the Dopesheet functions to keys or shortcuts.

And where's the freakin' Manual?

It's JULY ferchrissakes!

I've had so many layout crashes in my current project, I've abandoned LW8 till all they actually deliver what we were told would be their, most stable product ever.

Hmmm

Patience = 0

Doran
06-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Please NT, give us a bug-fixed LW8 as soon as you can, and the next time please be so kind and tell us that we are you beta-testers.

that's just unkind.

And where's the freakin' Manual?

It's JULY ferchrissakes!

The manual is available for download last I checked.

I've had so many layout crashes in my current project, I've abandoned LW8 till all they actually deliver what we were told would be their, most stable product ever.

My projects never go on a new release of Lightwave. I wait and after much rolling of my eyes at all the belly aching of some, I finally move to the new version, benefiting from the experiences of the early adopters and usually finding a wealth of bug fixes for download..

The classy thing to do would be to report your bug and then withhold the criticism.