PDA

View Full Version : LW[8] needs...

LAV
06-03-2004, 02:44 AM
Hello! I just received lw[8] and I remained a lot of time with my mouth opened.... Ok, we don't matter...

Hello! I've just installed LW[8]. It seems to be really hungry of hardware power. LW 7.5, under WMe, works fine. In the same machine, in an other partition, LW [8] under W2000sp4, works really bad (refresh rate, loading, moving objects and so on). The time for rendering is really shorter (I can compare the two version on the same machine) and the [8] software seems strongly improved.
(But where did you put all these wonderful 7.5 buttons?).
I worked fine with Nvidia 32Mb, 512Mb RAM, AMD 1.6 and a cup of coffe. Do you think I need to tune the software or I need to buy more ram and another video card?
Many thanks

art
06-03-2004, 11:01 AM
I use comparable system (I have nvidia 64mb, 512mb ram, 1.5ghz amd.) and lw[8] works fine on my computer. The only difference is that I use xp, but that should no matter that much.

More power certainly won't hurt. If you are using win2000 or xp you can probably safely disable many of the services running. Many of them are not needed for proper system operation.

I use this as my guide:

http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/win2kservice411.htm

or

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

Its not going to help that much, but always something.

Kurtis
06-03-2004, 11:02 AM
LAV,

You may want to refer to the LightWave [8] System Requirements (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/buyers_guide.html?cat=2).

Some of the system requirements for [8] are higher than [7.5], including system RAM and graphics card, both of which may be at issue for you, based on what you are listing.

Signal to Noise
06-03-2004, 01:09 PM
I use [8] on a Dell 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, & 64MB nVidia GeForce card on XP Pro o/s. And it's a laptop! No problems whatsoever. I am contemplating maxing out the RAM to 1GB but other than that I have no performance issues except for the usual (large scenes, intensive renders, etc.) which can happen even on the speediest desktop workstation.

I've also tweaked my laptop and o/s per Black Viper's guide as mentioned by Art. Helped a lot. Be careful with some of the settings because some system tools are needed for networking and the like which caused a bit of grief for me at the time unknowingly.

LAV, for sure you need to upgrade your ancient video card.:)

And wth is a CG'er doing with Windows ME???:rolleyes:

LAV
06-03-2004, 01:21 PM
many thanks! I'll try to tune the system and to gather money to get a 64-128-256 Mb video card! With no tears

--------------------
Ok! LW is a way to zen!

Vincent Brumbac
06-03-2004, 10:08 PM
I've notice the refersh problem as well. Seems to be some kind of bug. Every now and then a simple object will move around as if it is a billion polygon object. I have to close LW[8] and start it again to get rid of this effect. It also seems to effect modeler as well. Unable to determine why it is happening.

Cheers,

Vincent D. Brumback

LAV
06-06-2004, 06:29 AM
S2Noise

Everybody says Me is a bunch of rotten code... I use to work (have fun, i.e.) with Me, 98, Xp, W2000, Linux Mandrake. I arrive from Amiga, W95, W3.1... I say: WMe seems to me a decent system, if you know how shut off all these really stupid unwanted services. If I can explain the concept.
But I admit I am not experienced on a true professional computer layer.
Bye!

-------------------

LW is a green way to zen

zonezapper
12-07-2004, 10:22 AM
The Url Kurtis mentioned was not working (at least for me), but I found this one Here (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/sysreqs.html)

And they certainly look *Minimum* all right...

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with:
2.0 GHz P4
256 mb RDRam (sounded ok at the time, but it seems to really suck)
64mb Nvidia GeForce2 MX with TV out (including svideo)
Pinnacle DC10plus capture card

While it has served me well these past 3 years, I now yearn to get a Dual Layer DVD writer so I can let all my animations run as long as they should...instead of the 10 to 15 second versions I make now, to test more than anything.

I think that I'll end up buying a whole new system instead of upgrading this one now. So, I'm leaning towards the *deep end* with a dual processor, 1 gig Ram (whichever is best, but not RDR lol)... etc.

tonsofpcs
12-21-2004, 02:58 PM
WMe seems to me a decent system, if you know how shut off all these really stupid unwanted services. If I can explain the concept.
Windows ME is just a slightly modified (and bloated) version of 98 SE

BeeVee
12-21-2004, 04:21 PM
And has a serious default for any 3D use. It can only address 512MB RAM...

B

Silkrooster
12-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Not to mention Me has a file size limit. Which was one of the main reasons I switched to XP, to capture video larger than 2gb in size.
Silk

Exper
12-22-2004, 11:33 AM
I found ME not good for serious working... had many problems in past.

W2000sp4 should work fine.

I'd seriously recommend 768MB RAM and a 128MB nVIDIA: you can find a second hand GeForce4 Ti 4200/4600 for a small amounts of bucks and they're quite good cards.

-NG-
12-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Well even my GT 6800 is sometimes having trouble in the openGL.

I'm running on a Dell precision workstation, dual intel xeon 3.4 with 4 gig ram and a msi FX6800GT, and even my sytem is having trouble when i'm dealing with millions of poly's.

I'm thinking of buying a FX quadro what do you guys think?are the quadro's more suited for 3d graphics?