PDA

View Full Version : Poll : Presetcentral v2 wish list. - Psc Needs your Point Of View-

Ben_Chapé
06-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Dear Lightwave addicts,

as you probably know, presetcentral.com was hacked & its bandwidth was hijacked by some warez groups...
The site died in 3 days (6-7terabyte bandwidth, bill amounting to 1600$), and database was crushed.
It's a shame because site was really popular, and the first one of the whole www.

We're now evaluating the opportunity to work on a version v2 of the site.
(which was kinda planned in fact, even if we're all very busy with our current jobs).
We will be starting from nearly zero in term of content (well , almost) but i know that the lightwave community is very
active, so it's not really a problem. Moreover 3d datas are outdated quite fast , so it's an opportunity to upgrade content.

This thread is designed to collect all informations about how new version should be.
We won't be able to integrate all requests, but we need your vision & comments on the way you want psc V2 to be,
Small Scoop : we already have a list of damn-cool features in mind for around 2 years now ;) looks like it's time to make them real.

I hope you will all mass-reply to this Poll.
All the team is working hard on its spare time for this totally free & non-commercial site. I hope we'll be able to get it back online.

Keep Lightwaving,
Preset Central Team.

shadersrjj
06-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Could you make sure that you havbe the aibility to download
all available presets in one go or individually.

Thanks
RJJ

Matt
06-03-2004, 02:40 AM
I second that, presets are so small it would make sense to be able to download them all in one go.

Also speed, speed speed! Navigation on the last site was a bit fiddly, the preset menu was always hidden and you had to pop it open all the time.

A simple expanding navbar with all the catagories listed is all that's needed.

Quick, clean, simple web design too, try and keep the whole site as fast as possible!

Not sure if that last one had it, but a sort by last uploaded would be good too.

In fact having a last logged in date would enable you to flag newly added items since the last visit, I know I downloaded lots of presets I already had but had forgotton about!

That's all for now!

Good to know it's coming back!

Matt

WCameron
06-03-2004, 06:50 AM
i'd suggest making it as self regulating as possible. I'm not web savy enough to know exactly how to do that...

I'd also suggest keep the interface simple. i think the last version was kinda on the complicated side - and half the time
it wouldnt work in Opera (and if i have to jump over open IE
its probably too much trouble - because everytime you open IE Bill
Gates mugs an angel!)

- Will.

Castius
06-03-2004, 07:50 AM
larger previews this time so we don't have to download it to know what your getting.

caesar
06-03-2004, 02:04 PM
A clean interface, download all, better preview, just do it!

JamesCurtis
06-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Preset download in groups according to type would be fine. I'm not sure if I'd want to download everything at once, besides many users would only go to that one link all of the time, and would inhibit looking through the site.

nerdyguy227
06-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by shadersrjj
Could you make sure that you havbe the aibility to download
all available presets in one go or individually.

Thanks
RJJ

I would agree to that also

caesar
06-04-2004, 09:50 AM
you could ask for a free registration only for the "everything download", and let individual download without registrstion - it could save bandwith and put people search the site for a quick preset

scott_krehbiel
07-25-2004, 09:36 AM
I'd rather be able to download presets by category then going through the entire collection. Plus, what happens when next week I want to see what's new and exciting, and have to search through a humongous zip file?

I've seen some web pages that let you hit certain check boxes for what you want, and then a zip is created for you. You download that file, and it has all your selected contents. Would this be an option?

Maybe I could go through the metals area, hit a handful of checks, then go to flesh and internal organs, (I'm starting to do forensics) and then I could download just the stuff I want?

JohnMarchant
07-25-2004, 09:59 AM
Good to hear Ben, Look forward to new site. I agree with most of the comments below, but to add my 10 pence worth, here goes

1. Dont try and be everything to everyone, stick to what your good at, the presets side, there are lots of lightwave forums and sites offering loads of content but yours was unique.

2. A forum with discussion on building. loading, using presets and indeed any problems with loading them.

3. Discussions on gradients and procedurals and how to make good ones, especially for newbie users who are probably a bit lost on them.

Anyway good luck and hope to see you back very soon, John :) :) :) :) :)