PDA

View Full Version : Registration

avoluxmedia
06-02-2004, 09:38 PM
I registered my license key using "Register Lightwave 3D [8]" from the Start menu, but Lightwave still says I can only use it for 14 more days. Whenever I register, the file named License.key gets my permanent license key added to the one already in there. It eventually appeared 4 times, with the orginal temporary key at the top of the list. I removed all numbers and put my permanent license key in the file, saved it, and then when I ran Lightwave it said it could not find the license key. I remember a long series of instructions during installation, but when I try to run Setup again it offers to remove everything, so I cancel it before I see the instructions. How do I register anyway?

Signal to Noise
06-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Well, since LW is still running in Discovery mode you could uninstall the app anyway. Reinstall and read those instructions you mention.

I posted this thread (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22092) for those who are having problems with registration that may or may not help you.

Also do this check list:

1. You provided the correct serial number when you requested your permanent license key.

2. The permanent license key was entered in the XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX format and saved correctly as "license.key".

3. Ensure your dongle drivers are installed properly and your computer recognizes the dongle. I didn't need to install the new dongle drivers with [8]. I did a custom install and deselected the Sentinel drivers.

If you are still having problems after installing LW the second time I would suggest emailing or phoning NewTek.

Good luck!

avoluxmedia
06-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks! I removed Lightwave [8] and reinstalled it, and realized that I needed a new license key (not 7.5). So I went through the registration process until it asked for the serial number from the sticker on the CD. I have 4 CDs in a hard plastic case, and none had the 10 digit serial number. I thought that it didn't have a number because it was an upgrade (no box with manuals), so I entered my old 7.5 serial number, and the site claimed that such a unit had never been sold. My 7.5 version is legit and registered, with a license key. I've emailed customer service and will let everybody know what happens.

Signal to Noise
06-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Uh-oh! Couldn't find your serial number, huh?

There's been a large thread on this very subject ever since the [8] upgrades seemed to escalate in shipping to users.

Okay here are the options to where your serial number (S/N) sticker would be located:

A. On the Program Disc
B. On the inside cover of the CD case.
C. On the shipping envelope [8] came in.
D. On it's way to the dump if "C" was thrown out.
E. Both A & B.

Mine was "E". Lots of people reported "C" and sometimes "D". Maybe you kept your mail packaging?

avoluxmedia
06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Melissa Holden at Newtek emailed me the serial number. It was on the mailing label, which is long gone. Now everything works. Thanks guys!

Now if I could only get Newtek to stop mucking about with menu item locations everytime they make a new version. If car makers did this, by now we'd be hanging upside down over the back seat, facing backwards, and accelerating by squeezing a rubber bulb in our armpits.