PDA

View Full Version : getting bevel to look more like the photoshop one- with a seam in the middle

3dgirl
06-02-2004, 04:17 PM
hi guys!

i am trying to make 3D text to match the image below- was wondering if there was a way of getting the Lightwave bevel to match this photoshop bevel- cause the at the moment i can't see any way of getting the LW bevel to meet in the middle as a seam- it just overshoots itself and looks awfull. is there another way?

iandavis
06-02-2004, 09:15 PM
two easy options, many hard ones.
one- create additional geometry. use the bevel tool, and while the face poly is selected add the shape you require by using the right mouse button. Add an extra facet to create the hilight catcher near the middle seam. so in total, the example you showed would have 4 facets. One for the outer edge catchlight, one for the main bevel, one for the inner seam catchlight, and the last for the seam surface itself.

two- create the bevel. but assign different surfaces to the inner seam, the broad main surface, and the outer bevel. this way you can control the smoothing to the point where it is smooth where you want it, and sharp where it should be.

oh, if your bevel suddenly seems to 'freak out' with points flying off to infinity, it means that two or more points have crossed paths. go back a step and weld any points that are considered 'close' to eachother... this should fix the problem.

hope this helps

iandavis.ws

3dgirl
06-02-2004, 10:22 PM
not sure i get what you mean...as the letters are already quite slim, the moment i try to put anything but the tiniest bevel on it the lines edges overlap each other in the "skinny" areas. it doesn't really seem viable to manually weld each point on every single letter (there are a lot)...i can't subdivide as it's not a 4 point poly... there must me a way of creating a central seam that i could just "pull" up?

iandavis
06-02-2004, 10:32 PM
hmmm... in that case I would try a texture map, either a bump map or a displacement map. Using photoshop you could simply use blurred text on a solid background... then create a solid line where the center line would be. with the right blurring you should be able to get a reasonable effect. I'm hoping the letters don't need to get too close to the camera? You could even use a LW screencapture to create the bumpmap in photoshop or perhaps illustrator. (illustrator would allow more control) UV mapping would be in order here.

If it needs to be geometry... umm... I'm afraid I can't think of an easy solution. I don't know of any plugins that would do the job, and short of bevel (or maybe supershift in LW8) there may be no quick solution. though building the geometry manually may not be cost effective in your case.

displacement mapping may be the only solution.

oh, another thing I have done in similar cases was to build an alphabet. That is, manually create high rez geometry for a-z, then just copy and paste to spell out my text. :)

good luck.

iandavis.ws

Danner
06-03-2004, 01:19 AM
not shure if it will work but you could try this
http://www.dtium.com/software/

BeeVee
06-03-2004, 03:40 AM
Bevel each letter a teeny-tiny amount and then use Weld Average to join the bevels into a single edge. You will be left with a bunch of 2-point polys which you can rid of, or use to show up the edge like you wanted. However, a better bet, if you are using LightWave 8, is to select that ridge of points and do an edge bevel. That way you'll have a new poly that is more predictable for result.

Letters like "b" where there is an odd conjunction between a straight line and the bowl of the curve can cause you some problems of knowing how to create the bevel. Just create the letter in Photoshop as well to see how it's done and then you can duplicate it in 3D yourself. I just made a lower case b, just for giggles and it took me five minutes to duplicate what you show, using the tools Text (of course), Knife (to cut the polygons into smaller portions to match inside curve polys with outside curves ones so you can maintain the number of points), Weld and Weld average (which I would assign a keyboard shortcut otherwise you'll go mad. It would also be worth your while to hit d, go into the interface section and set your alert level to expert, so that you don't have to keep clicking on OK for "2 points welded" messages).

B

Psyhke
06-03-2004, 10:46 AM
BeeVee is right. I was coming here to write the same thing, after some experimentation.

The only thing I can add is that for the welding part of the process you can speed things up a little by using Carl Merrit's free MultiMerge tool. You can select two rows of points and it will average-weld them together all in one go. You can get it here:

http://www.m2estudios.com/multimerge.htm