PDA

View Full Version : Help with Displacement Maps

btalbott
06-02-2004, 02:14 PM
I have a lightwave texture/displacement question. I created this image in Strata Studio Pro and now have to recreate it in Lightwave.

http://interstela.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Instructional-Illustration&id=hub02

When I created this in Strata I used texture stencils to get the transparency. With Lightwave I can't seen to get the subtle shaded transparency. Everything is jagged and the edges are sharp. I've tried in both Object Properties/displacement map and I tried in the Surface editor using layered textures.

Can some one help please?

bt

Rory_L
06-02-2004, 10:53 PM
You aren`t clip mapping are you? That will give you lovely jaggies!

If you make your arrows and torus, then UV map them and apply a painted greyscale texture to the transparency texture channel you should get the desired results. Switch on raytrace transparency in the Render Options panel for greater accuracy.

Show us the Lightwave rendered image that you`re so dissatisfied with that we can properly see what the problem is, eh!

Cheers,

R

btalbott
06-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Rory, thanks for your reply! I've posted a web page with all of the details at:

http://www.interstela.com/questions/displacement/displace.htm

How would you use a UV map? I am REALLY a newbie

Rory_L
06-04-2004, 01:38 AM
Remove the displacement map! Displacement maps change the shape of your object, the strength of the effect being determined by the shade of grey in the map. You have a torus and want to keep it torus-shaped, so leave it alone, eh!

Stick to the default metric units system. Working in feet and inches will just give you headaches!

When you make your torus in Modeler, first make a new UV map, (Map/Texture/New UV Map) then make the torus using the SuperQuadratic tool in the Create tab, setting top and side bulge to 2 and checking the Make UV button. This will give you an automatically created UV map, onto wich you can place your texture file in the Surface editor.

That should do you!

Cheers,

R

btalbott
06-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Rory, worked like a charm. Thank you so very much!!

bt :D

Rory_L
06-06-2004, 11:47 PM
My pleasure!

R