PDA

View Full Version : HELP [Don't know where to put this] Lighting

Skunk
06-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Okay - here's the problem. I have this really simple ship thing, and when i try and put the lights in (simple, point lights) they bleed onto the other surfaces. Please help me out. Here are some pics:

I put in lens flare so it's pretty obvous, but the back view you can see it pretty well. I'm also including the model so you can see ...? yes?

Well, try and help me out? Thanks,
SKUNK

I'll have to put the pics on later, the school won't let me upload. But does anyone understand what i'm saying????

nerdyguy227
06-02-2004, 03:05 PM
no, I would need to see the pics

Kurtis
06-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Skunk,

The best place for this thread would be LW - General Support (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=24). I've moved it there for you.

Skunk
06-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Well, I can't post the picture but i can describe it: the lights 'go through' the nearby polygons when determening whether they show up. (i.e.: it appears on the face of the polygons then goes through it to the next) with the lens flare on that means that you can always see the lens flare, even when you have a space ship in between.

I'll try to post the clip i made, but i can't at school and the internet at my home is spazzing out....

SKUNK

caesar
06-03-2004, 01:03 PM
oh well, isnīt the "glow behind objects" matter again?

nerdyguy227
06-03-2004, 06:47 PM
I had the same exact problem a few days ago. I just moved the light and I think that what SKUNK said is true.

Skunk
06-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Okay, i finally got so i can post something for you'all to look at:

I got rid of the lense flare problem (you can't see it when it's behind anything anymore) by turning on "glow behind objects"

What's the problem?? :( :

Skunk
06-12-2004, 05:16 PM
C'mon everyone! Talk to me, try and figure out why the light is going through my polys. Here's a clip (in Quick Time for all you die-hards). It has 3 lights, all point and they all have lens flare. Also, none of them have any Intensity fall-off.

Please help,
SKUNK

toby
06-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Don't see a clip anywhere -

are you aware that you have to raytrace shadows for light to be 'stopped' from a point light, and that by default, polygons are one-sided; they only cast shadows from one side ~

caesar
06-14-2004, 12:30 PM
post a wire screenshot

Skunk
06-14-2004, 10:58 PM
wow, thanks. Yea, i had Ray Trace on in the Properties of the lights, but not Ray Trace Shadows (Rendering Options). Dang, it sure takes a lot longer when it Ray Traces.. sheesh.

Thanks a whole lot you guys...
@ caesar: I'm assuming you don't want me to post a wire screenshot (i fixed the problem) but i wanted to, say: hypothetically, how would i do it? Is it a Rendering option, i couldn't find anything... hm

THanks again...
SKUNK

toby
06-14-2004, 11:07 PM
2 different ways:

Render options, change "Realistic" to "Wireframe" (but you won't get any shadows)

Surface editor, Advanced tab, "Render Outlines"

caesar
06-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Skunk
I'm assuming you don't want me to post a wire screenshot (i fixed the problem)

Yes. I just wondering the geometry of your model and the ligts setup...sometimes a screenshot helps!