PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 Screenshot? Or am I just nuts?

Lamont
03-25-2003, 05:43 PM
I found this image on CGChannel about Meni. These are screen-grabs from Lightwave interface. It looks like textured wireframes to me...

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Could it be another app Lamont? Did you crop this image. Was the lightwave interface, buttons and all, in there? Perhaps it's a beta.

Valter
03-25-2003, 06:29 PM
this image could be anything.

Rory_L
03-25-2003, 06:54 PM
Or am I just nuts?
Oh you really are asking for it aren`t you? Hehe!

...But I resisted the urge, because I`m a good boy :D

BTW a new open GL style doesn`t mean it must be LW8.

R

Nicodemus
03-25-2003, 10:52 PM
Could be......you might be onto something. I mean we know that Meni has the inside track with Newtek and worked with them exstensively developing lgihtwave 6.5 and 7.

He even went so far as to say in an interveiw that they integrated many tools he specifically requested. Also supporting this is the fact that the studio that he chose to work with on the project is a known lightwave house....or at least a heavy lightwave house.

If it is, good catch man. I read the info but did not even take note of that.

~L~

Lamont
03-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I got good eyes. NewTek, lemme join the beta!!

j3st3r
03-26-2003, 02:47 AM
I have two suspects.
1. This is interface from Messiah
2. THis is interface from Luxology's secret weapon

Jester

meatycheesyboy
03-26-2003, 05:51 AM
As of the release of LW6.0 wasn't Meni directly employed by Newtek as an in house content creator/beta tester? If so, then this doesn't seem very far fetched that this is a beta of some unreleased LW.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/feature/model_f_02.jpg

Here is an old image that seems to support what Lamont is thinking as well. It shows a LW 6.6 which was never released to the public yet Meni had access to it.

Joshua
http://www.jjorg.com/

WilliamVaughan
03-26-2003, 07:42 AM
The 2 images on cgchannel looks like inverted images to me....give it a try in PS and you will see what I mean

meatycheesyboy
03-26-2003, 08:15 AM
http://www.jjorg.com/forum/invertedmeni.jpg

Here is the same image but inverted.

You may be right, it could just be an inverted screenshot. It kind of hard to tell with the wirframe obscuring so much. But admittedly, it just looks like OGL specular highlights and shading.

But even if it isn't a screenshot of an upcoming LW, it still isn't unreasonable to think that Meni may have access to a future iteration. And its fun to dream ;)

BTW, sorry my previous pic is soo large, its linked directly from Newtek's site so I didn't have control over its size.

Also, why do you think Meni has a mixture of quads and tris in the model? Is there a benefit that I can't think of?

mastermesh
03-26-2003, 08:24 AM
or something similar... If you change texture type on lw 7, you can get similar thing. I don't see the texture on this. The mix of tris and quads probably doesn't matter after you go to subpatch... but if you have polys with 5 or more sides, subpatch will really get bizzaro on you and put holes in places where you don't want them.

Lamont
03-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by proton
The 2 images on cgchannel looks like inverted images to me....give it a try in PS and you will see what I mean WHAT?!?! No!! It's like the X-Files man!! He's gonna turn us against eachother!!! Burry the truth with speculations and hersey, and half-truths!!

I'm on to you.

Yeah, it's just a weather balloon that was ignited by swamp gas...

WilliamVaughan
03-26-2003, 09:11 AM
I'm like glass....u saw right thru me :)

Nicodemus
03-26-2003, 10:59 AM
That's right man......we know Proton is working for them, he's been assimilated. It Area 51 all over again.

~L~

Frankie
03-28-2003, 08:09 AM
If you want a textured wireframe you can copy the object to another layer then put the other layer as a background. Although you obviously cant edit it real time, maby you could with a script.

j3st3r
03-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Oh sure...that`s very unprofessionnal solution, especially, if you have few layers in your objects, etc.

cgolchert
03-28-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by meatycheesyboy
http://www.jjorg.com/forum/invertedmeni.jpg

Also, why do you think Meni has a mixture of quads and tris in the model? Is there a benefit that I can't think of?

It looks like a frozen model with tripled non-planer polys.

I suppose the benefit would be no freezing at render time and less poys to sort while rendering. :)

Frankie
03-28-2003, 12:10 PM
I meant what I said more as explination as to how someone could have got a texture, wireframe screenshot from modeler. Rather than a workaround if you wanted to work with a textured,wireframe view. Although if you want to tweek stuff in a textured wireframe view you can select all the polys and work with drag but that wouldent give same look as the picture posted at the beginning of this thread and I doubt you would find it a very professional solution either.

Red_Oddity
04-02-2003, 01:51 AM
Who says it's a texture? It looks like a blurry mess with no real defenitions...
Might as well be a vertex color map...

Lamont
04-02-2003, 06:39 AM
No one says it's a texture, it's all speculation and fun...

Red_Oddity
04-03-2003, 03:43 AM
Aaaahhhh...my bad...i'm getting way too serious...