PDA

View Full Version : "Can I have an honest PC vs MAC question answered..?

TOXIC-3D
06-01-2004, 05:35 PM
How'dee all...

Hey I've been wanting to ask this for some time now but to date haven't posted anything on it...

I purchased a "Notebook/Laptop" a couple of years back and although I've been able to use Lightwave with it, it lacks when it comes to overall speed & preformance... especially when it comes to rendering. But with todays Note'Tops on the market there doesn't seem to be any difference in capabilities when you compare a decent desktop & a well put together Note'Top... Only leaving the question of what kind of benifits might one see when using a "PC running Windows XP Pro" as compared to a G4 Mac running whatevers the current OS" is.

I've had expierence with both Mac's & Pc's a few years back at a place I use to work at but its been Pc's ever since... "Why? The question..?" Because I'm open minded & as such I'm open for suggestions that are going to be benificial in the end when it comes to Lightwave...

"Oh, and all of this pertains to the usage of Lightwave in general which is what its going to be mainly used for..."

Thanks in advance....

jin choung
06-01-2004, 06:00 PM
actually,

this is a question that will turn out to be fairly uncontroversial -

if you want to use LW: for many MANY reasons (bugs, OS stuff, plugins), the PC is the way to go.

it's also undenialby cheaper.

jin

GruvSyco
06-01-2004, 06:04 PM
check out what Policarpo (http://www.policarpo.us/) said on the matter. Both machines are great at what they do, I just don't think the Mac's strongsuit is 3D but, I haven't been a Mac user for quite a few years.

nerdyguy227
06-02-2004, 03:00 PM
PC-faster
MAC-more stable

paulrus
06-02-2004, 03:11 PM
I use both on a daily basis.

The biggest issue I have with my Mac is the lack of plug-in support - especially freebies on Flay - AND that Digital Fusion / DFX+ doesn't run on the Mac.

The PC is generally a cheaper machine to own.

The only thing I can think of I would like to have on a PC that is on the Mac is Final Cut Pro - oh and Expose is very cool too.

Paul

bloontz
06-02-2004, 04:02 PM
With regard to the notebook vs desktop, be aware that you can get dual processor desktops and these will outperform a notebook with a single processor and shouldn't cost that much more than the high end notebook that you would want for this purpose. For rendering this can make a big difference.

GruvSyco
06-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
PC-faster
MAC-more stable

As someone who has done PC support for 10 years, neither of those statements are very accurate. Some applications that are optimized for Mac especially ones that are or would be designed for their 64 bit extensions will probably perform better and...

My experience has show that "most" of the instability of Windows based PCs are user induced. And, while I can't speak for modern Mac OS, when I last ran MacOS (around 7 or 8) it was equally as (un)stable as Windows was at that time. Bottom line is if you install "crap" on your system it will probably perform like "crap".

nerdyguy227
06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Well that makes sence. I am just speaking from experiance. I own a PC and many of my friends own MACs. I should have thought about the things they installed and I have installed first.

It is true that:

PCs-have more of a variedy of hardware and are generly easier to upgrade

Macs-are not affecete by almost all viruses

GruvSyco
06-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by nerdyguy227
It is true that:

PCs-have more of a variedy of hardware and are generly easier to upgrade

Macs-are not affecete by almost all viruses

Available hardware I think is less of an issue since both machines use USB, Firewire, IDE (or SCSI) and PCI (not sure if Macs have AGP). Availability of drivers and/or quality drivers is more the issue. I think the biggest set back for hardware on a Mac is the avaiability of some of the higher end 3D graphics boards. Macs seem to be quicker to pick up on emerging technology such as their early adoption of firewire.

The only reason why it would appear that Macs are virus free is that most viruses are written specifically for MS software. Personally, I think this has more to do with the sheer quantity of Windows machines out there that are targets. Not that I would understand any logic behind someone wanting to write viruses but, I would think if that were what I was doing, I would target the largest user base possible (i.e. Windows). There have been Mac viruses in the past and, one would be wise to make sure whatever platform they have, to make sure they have decent antivirus software and a firewall.

jin choung
06-02-2004, 08:06 PM
but since the question specifically asks which platform for lightwave,

you simply get a better experience with a pc. heck, ask the mac guys here!

again, in regards to this particular question, i believe the answer is non-controversial.

jin

GruvSyco
06-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by jin choung
but since the question specifically asks which platform for lightwave,

you simply get a better experience with a pc. heck, ask the mac guys here!

again, in regards to this particular question, i believe the answer is non-controversial.

jin

I agree Jin. I do think the PC is the better platform for 3D. I just didn't want some posted misinformation to be a basis in forming what should be an educated decision.

silvergun
06-02-2004, 10:29 PM
I agree, Lightwave on mac is total crap. Its bug ridden and alot of good plug ins dont come on mac until later or at all. If you want a computer for Lightwave, get a pc. Newtek don't have a clue on how to make mac optimised applications yet still charge us the same amount for half the quality. I only have a mac but use lightwave for its great modeller. But I refuse to use a pc because of its turd of an os.

BeeVee
06-03-2004, 03:15 AM
If your only criterion is render speed, then you need to look at Chris Blanos' LightWave benchmark site. It has user-submitted render times for the LightWave benchmark scenes: http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/

B

Lottmedia
06-03-2004, 10:54 AM
To be honest I'm glad to see a disgussion with real views on the issue, most of the time it become a religious dispute. I think it's safe to say we're all artists here, the tools are just that, tools. Too often people are hampered by what they believe there hardware (or software) can do and don't think beyond that. I use both macs and pcs (though PCs more often) and I'm tired of everyone, from both camps, trying to "convert" me. I find, like GruvSyco, that most computer problems are user error. Macs crash, PCs crash, and Micealangelo broke a chisel or two. That's life.
The big factor I've noticed in the laptop/desktop issue ( I do Lightwave on my laptop as well as my workstation) is the video card. Most laptops just don't have a heafty enough video card to really make Lightwave shine (and believe me, it makes a difference)

PS paulrus, if you're looking for a Final Cut Pro analog for the PC, Adobe Premiere Pro is very silimar now. The interface elements are almost the same and if you use one you can use the other quite easily.

GruvSyco
06-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Lottmedia
PS paulrus, if you're looking for a Final Cut Pro analog for the PC, Adobe Premiere Pro is very silimar now. The interface elements are almost the same and if you use one you can use the other quite easily.

I thought I heard somewhere that elements of both apps were done by the same people.

calico
06-03-2004, 12:06 PM
i,m a mac user and i use LW on PowerBook. my suggestion is: go with intel laptop. LW runs ........ good on my mac but the truth is it is waaaay better optimized for pc.

finally, if you're going to run LW 90% of time—pc is the answer.