PDA

View Full Version : audio dropouts

hamilton
06-01-2004, 09:19 AM
I've had a recurring problem with clips losing part or all of their audio in a project.
This is my first experience with non-linear editing and I'm trying to be careful about how I and where I store my projects so that files don't get scrambled all over the place.
I defrag and reset user configs. at least once every day.
I'm not overloading my D drive either. It's got plenty of room to spare.
Anybody have thoughts about this?

Michael Hamilton

Jim Capillo
06-01-2004, 09:34 AM
What format are your clips?

hamilton
06-01-2004, 09:39 AM
DV Video Type 2
Uncompresed PCM audio

Michael

Paul Lara
06-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Michael, try this:

-make sure your Windows Explorer (file manager) can see system and hidden files and folders. In the folder where these video files reside, you'll find a 'NewTek Info' folder within each folder. Delete this folder.

Now, launch VT[3], and load one of those clips into the editor.
There will be a 'wait' message while it builds the audio waveform data. Don't scrub or manipulate this file until the 'wait' has gone and is replaced by a waveform image.

Does that clear it up?

hamilton
06-02-2004, 07:20 AM
To all,
Thanks for your help.

The tech at the company we bought our system from (RVI) came in and ran chkdsk then re-installed VT3.
We will see how it goes today.
Anyway, Paul thanks for the input and if needed I will try your solution.

Michael

hamilton
06-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Also,
I have been interupting the "wait" message because sometimes it seems to take so long that it appears that there is a lockup someplace, so I highlight and delete while "wait" is on.

Michael

hamilton
06-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Well, guess what. I just found out what it was.

Yesturday, I trashed the project before the tech came but saved one clip with missing audio as a sample to show to him.
I re-created the project with the sample clip still on the timeline.

This morning, When I opened the new project I got the "wait" sign and did what it wanted me to do which was (Duh!) wait.
My project came up with all of its audio and to my amazement, the sample clip with missing audio came up intact with all of its audio!

Moral of the story: Wait when it says "Wait".

Michael

Paul Lara
06-02-2004, 11:18 AM
:D

VT[3] real-time editing can spoil you so you don't want to wait, but there are times when it's well-advised. :p