PDA

View Full Version : www.presetcentral.com some news for you...

benhaines
05-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Hi everyone,

just to let you know it looks like presetcentral.com has been turned off for good.

A few weeks back we were having some server issues, the cause of which we were only recently told the truth about. The server, which is owned by a colleague of us, was being used for presetcentral.com and a smaller personal site. As it turns out, the owner of the personal site managed to get his account hacked (don't ask how!).

Whoever hacked the account ended setting up an ftp server with ~20 gb of warez which was up for about 3 days. With a 100mb connection the server soon racked up a total 6-7terabyte bandwidth bill amounting to 1600$. Unfortunately the responsible person isn't willing to pay up, much to the dissapointment of us, as it means the server along with all the MySQL data for presetcentral.com isn't going to be switched back on again.

Why am I going on about all this... well I guess I just wanted to let you know why it has gone down, rather then leave it unanswered. I'm aware that a number of personal sites reference presets on presetcentral.com and lots of websites will be showing up 404 in the coming period ;). I also feel an apology is necessary for the lack of updates or maintenance to the site.

The team, Ben Chape, Tom C, Nel, CCool, Samus and me have had great time running the site and would like to thank you all for contributing and visiting. I guess it is good to see people like Brad Peebler (ahem!) and his team offering a similar service ;).

Having said all this and dribbled on for far too long. The domain is still owned by us and who knows. There are a number of ideas which are still on the drawing board including some really exciting stuff. I guess www.rendercentral.com might be a hint... and this ;)post (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23714)

All the best, Ben

cresshead
05-31-2004, 03:16 PM
drat...that really is sad news..lets hope it can be resurected sometime in the nr future.

Dodgy
05-31-2004, 06:26 PM
That is really a shame, a great resource lost to us all...

There is the idea that we could all donate $5 (not a huge amount) to get it back up and running.... Would that be a possibility?

riki
05-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news. Did you keep backup of the site?

Personally I think your friend should argue that it was the their server that got hacked, which means that it was their security which failed. So they should foot the bill. Plus the fact that they let these hackers run up such huge bill, without any checks or warnings, shows a serious lack in their part.

I know I'm always floging Dreamhost (http://www.dreamhost.com/rewards.cgi?suture)
but they've got a really sweet sale running at the moment on their Code Monster plan. Plus these guys monitor you daily usage and do projected estimates, if it looks like there's any chance of exceeding your monthly bandwidth usage. So you shouldn't have to worry about any nasty surprises.

siproductions
05-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Really sad. :( It was a great place to get presets.

Hey I would send 10 bucks without blinking if it would help get it back up. If you could get some thing going here, I'm sure that people would help out.

Matt
06-01-2004, 03:33 AM
Ditto, let the community pull together on this one, I'm sure we can sort something out!

Edbittner
06-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Ben,
I would like to thank you for all the contributions you've made to the LW community. I met some great people there and am, for one, sorry to see it end.
Ed

Ben_Chapé
06-01-2004, 05:56 AM
of course we'll made it live again ;)

we need to check what's ok/wrong for the future projects ...

psc is such a great tool , we can't let it die like that ;)

battery555
06-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Sorry to see a useful resource ended this way, that is rather sad. i'm willing to part my five dollars if that could be of little help. :)

benhaines
06-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Hi everyone,

thanks for all your kind comments.

I would say "hell yes, let setup a paypal donate system and lets bring it back!", but it wouldn't feel right having other people fork out for some other d**kheads mistake.

A possibility might be to have an amazon associate link, that way everybody can help resurrect the site without actually paying for it. If you see what I mean.

On the other hand this might just be the opportunity to do something bigger and better. Who knows... maybe some of you have some great ideas, I guess this would be a great time to get creative. Fortunately we aren't limited by bandwidth and hosting costs (not anymore anyway as we have bought our own server!!)... so most things are possible.

I'm quiet dissapointed by the response to rendercentral. I'll try and post a brief of what I have in mind in a few days.

Again thanks for all the comments.

Best regards, Ben

art
06-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by riki

I know I'm always floging Dreamhost (http://www.dreamhost.com/rewards.cgi?suture)

Riki, how is the speed of websites hosted by dreamhost under the "managed web hosting" (not dedicated)?

Im using hostsave.com now. I like their features and prices, but the speed of my website and ftp access are rather sluggish.

Do you have any urls hosted by dreamhost (under 7.95 plan) so I could compare?

Synthlight
06-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Benhaines,

I own quite a few dedicated servers on 100mbit connections. I would be willing to host this site for absolutely no cost if you can get me the files/data and repoint the nameserver. If you are interested in this leave me a PM. I would be more than happy to support the LW community.

...And I wouldn't even make you put up advertising or other such nonsense. :)

Cheers,

Synthlight

riki
06-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Hey Ben I'm looking forward to hearing about your new plan. Having your own server sounds good. I've always wonderred about that, how difficult it is to maintain security that sort of thing. Some of my clients have their own mail servers and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Hey Art my site http://www.suture.net is hosted on Dreamhost if you want to check it for speed.

As well as being a generous plan in terms of features and bandwidth, my web hosting dosen't actually cost me anything anymore because of their Rewards program. I'm actually making money from these guys now, about US$500 per year from referals.

I guess it works like Amazon's Affiliate Program. They give you 10% of all referals each year for as long as the referrered user, stays active, plus you also get 5% of everyone they refer.

Ben_Chapé
06-03-2004, 12:36 AM
ok,

i'm gonna start a 'wish list for psc v2 post' on most lw boards to poll what wavers want or need :p

benhaines
06-09-2005, 04:46 AM
Its back, almost... please help if you can :) http://www.presetcentral.com

starbase1
06-09-2005, 06:16 AM
I always had a real softspot for that site. While plenty contain vast details of how to build yourself a vast imperial star destroyer bolt by bolt, you get immeasurably more bang per byte from a good general purpose surface preset.

And it's much easier for those of us with limited talent to contribute too!

I remain amazed that Lightwave does not come with a better stocked preset shelf to start with...

Nick

benhaines
06-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Well funny you should say that. At one point we talked to Newtek about including all content from PresetCentral.com on the Lightwave 7 CDs.

Never happened though... :(

lardbros
06-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Jeeeesus would that have been a great idea... i now have built up my own collection of your wonderful presets on your site, and have used many of them as a basis for creating my own.

EXTREMELY sad to hear that you guys were hacked, and i can rest in the knowledge that you guys will come back better than before!!

Good luck for the future, and for the future of PresetCentral! HURRRAH! :D

Karmacop
06-09-2005, 12:04 PM
I've been waiting so long for this to come back that I'd almost forgotten about it. It's good to know that a great resource is almost back :)

starbase1
06-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Hey, if everyone who has replied to this message digs out half a dozen surfaces to upload it will be better than ever!

Andd if everyone who has read it uploads ONE it will be better still!
:D :D :D

Dodgy
06-09-2005, 06:14 PM
How do we upload?

benhaines
06-10-2005, 02:29 AM
Dodgy,

Sorry to say we aren't quite there yet. We are gathering requirements and ideas at the moment and will begin hacking code together in earnest.

Another objective is to raise the profile of presetcentral.com again and build up some funds for the project.

So any suggestions please fire them our way. ;)

Thanks

parm
06-10-2005, 04:16 AM
Excellent to see this site back. Bookmarked !

Parm

lardbros
06-10-2005, 05:37 AM
How about a procedural texturing challenge to start off with. (yep probably been done before many times... sorry if it's not original). Say, who can produce the nicest brickwork texture without any maps. No need for prizes just yet, but it could raise the profile of presetcentral, give you some nice texture presets from the contest entries, and give the winner kudos from the community.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

starbase1
06-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Nice idea but surely bricks have been done to death, and are not even used that much...

I think the competition surfaces should allow for more variation, so we end up with a set of surfaces many of which would be useful. To take your suggestion as a starting point, maybe something like 'walls' allowing for plaster, tiles, or even wallpaper would produce more useful stuff?

Or perhaps 'Cars' allowing for everything from the ever popular metallic paint, to leather and chrome. (Am I the only person on the planet who finds car models dull? I could still swipe the surfaces though!)

Nick

lardbros
06-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Nice idea but surely bricks have been done to death, and are not even used that much...

Hahaha, i know, just a random suggestion. I looked out of my window to think of something, and guess what the first thing i saw was??....

...ummm, no not the glass... it was bricks actually! :D

True, been overdone but still, never seen truly photoreal procedural brick textures before. Your idea of a more rounded theme would produce much better variety and therefore build up their collection much quicker!! This would be quite fun if it goes ahead. Cool stuff!

*runs off to make a truly photoreal brick texture without the aid of texture maps* :D

parm
06-10-2005, 10:30 AM
(Am I the only person on the planet who finds car models dull?

No Nick, I do too.

Really good idea lardbros. Maybe something along the lines of selecting texture of the month, from amongst those uploaded.

Also there does seem to be a dearth of hypervoxels presets. Maybe a competition to produce the best vegetation preset.

Parm