PDA

View Full Version : Landscape from ordnance survey map

plod2001
05-31-2004, 03:19 AM
Has anyone played around with this? I'd like to fake a helicopter shot of a UK country landscape to mix with DV ground shots of the same hill.

I thought I could get the shape from map contours (into a weight map I guess) and then Photoshop the texture (from several ground level photos).

Unless there is a Ordnance Survey to LW plug-in that I'm missing??

Exception
05-31-2004, 05:05 AM
There is a plugin, its called TextureScape, you can get it on flay I think. what this will do is use a texture (ANY texture, including prodecurals) and create a tesselated terrain with it, with more detail where it is needed, so its more than just a displaced terrain.
What you do is get the survey map, single out the lines, then use photoshop or whatever to fill in the lines with an increasing grey color, such as 1 meter is 10% grey, 2 meters is 20% grey and so forth. Then you will have an image with banding. You could then blur the image stiffly, maybe pay attention to steep areas not getting destroyed to get a smooth gradient out of it. Then use that texture in TextureScape and voila, you couldnt have done it betetr yourself : )

digimassa
05-31-2004, 10:37 AM
:cool:
If you want a real exact copy of a landscape you can use the survey map as BG template, add points along the lines of same high (dunno word in english) and create polygons by hand. Sounds cruel but isnt that bad to work and brings a lot of controll over the mesh, eg different polysizes as needed or trippled as needed^^