PDA

View Full Version : Absolute values?????

scott61264
05-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Is there any kind of coordinate manager for LW8? I'm sitting here trying to figure out where and how I can place an object in a layer where I want and I can't find any way to move this to the precise place I want. It seems I can do all kinds of displacement or offsets in transforms,rotates, and such, but there doesn't seem to be any way to see an object's or layer's current position and then enter a new position.

It seems simple to me.
size position rotation
x 10 m 0.0 0 degrees
y 2 m 0.0 90 degrees
z 20 m 100 m 0 degrees

This is the grid and each value can be changed. Why isn't there anything like this? I have to say that out of all the programs I have used for 3D this is by far the most unintuitive. It's too full of having to do undo's when mistakes are made. Primitives should be easily adjusted and I shouldn't have to be ripping out my hair just to make a ball and move it -300 mm on the y axis. oops I made a mistake I should have moved it -200 mm so now I have to offset by 100 mm up on the y axis...why can't I just go in and say -200 mm on the y and hit apply and the offset is done automatically. Am I missing a button hidden beneath the billions of sub menus? Of course I am new to lightwave but actually I have had it for over a month and have found it to be really frustrating, perhaps It's because I had cinema 4d first and it's way of doing things is at a artists level. Shouldn't 3D be enjoyable? This program has made me feel like I wasted alot of money, I have books and CD's on how to do things and they are all written like I know where button/menu X is? Am I supposed to just have this information by osmosis. And the manual...good night! They even have jokes in it. I think the joke is that someone didn't take the interface to this program a bit more seriously. For all of you LW diehards out there...great. Maybe if I actually figure this program out I may become one, but so far my opinion is that Cinema 4D blows this thing away for ease of use and enjoyability. I had several awesome models of complex level created in half the time as it's taken me to make a stupid ball in LW. I'm sure I've made someone mad but if any of you have ever had the chance to use C4D than you will see what I'm talking about. I think I'm gonna give this about another month and then I'm done. If this program hasn't gotten easier oh well, chalk it up to live and learn.
OK, now that I've beaten my chest and feel no better about LW8, is there an absolute coordinates manager of any kind in lightwave or are we left to guess work when placing layers or objects in modeller?

Psyhke
05-30-2004, 08:01 PM
If you select an objects points or polygons you can use Detail->Measure->Point Center, and it will give you a readout of their absolute averaged centerpoint in X, Y, Z.

If you want to move polygons/points to an abosulte spot, you can select them in the same manner as above, and use Modify->Aligner. Switch the mode to Absolute and you can type in your destination X, Y, Z coordinates.

With either of those tools, you don't have to actually select points or polygons if you only have one mesh in your layer, it will assume you mean all of them.

Also, you can select any point or points and hit 'i' and a little info panel will pop up where you can see the absolute coordinates of the point(s).

I think alot of people would agree with you on the documention issue. There's a lot that you have to figure out by trial and error. But that's half the fun, right? Or maybe not. Hehe. :)

Psyhke
05-30-2004, 08:17 PM
As far as absolute rotation values, I'm not sure. I don't know if there is such as thing for that in Modeler. Because of the workflow of LW being a bit unique in having Modeler and Layout separate, you have to think a little differently I guess. You have to work on your object as a stand alone entity that lives in it's own realm until you load it into layout, where it gets a more absolute sense of Heading, bank, pitch, and the like. You just have to look at the way the axes in Modeler are situated and anticipate how your objects will have an initial orientation once in Layout, where from there you go about working with rotations and positions.