PDA

View Full Version : No texture on openGL surfaces in lightwave 8

dslmattman
05-30-2004, 05:11 PM
:( Wow I get the brand new Lightwave 8 and itís been nothing but problems. Never saw that coming. The new web registration procedure didn't work so I need to call Newtek about that. And now I found that I couldnít even make a simple box in textured mode. Check out the picture link. The polygons are not being filled in but a little something here and there.

Ok here is my goofy work a around. I have to load lightwave 7 before 8 and then everything works. I tried updating drivers for my Radeon 8500 with no success. Hope the phone lines at Newtek wont be too busy after Memorial Day Weekend.

Thanks
Matt :confused:

dslmattman
05-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Here is the pic with lightwave 7 running first. You have to run 7 first or it wont work.

FONGOOL
05-31-2004, 01:03 PM
If you're having the same registration problem everyone else is having, just open your lightwave[8]\programs\LICENSE.KEY with notepad and replace what's in there with the serial number you got during the online registration process. (back up the old one first though).

That's what I had to do and it worked fine. If you weren't even able to get the permanent serial number, then you're having a difernt problem...

As for your other problem, making a box in texture mode works fine here, I'll bet you a donut it's a video card issue.

Steve

dslmattman
05-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Tried that already that all ready with no luck. :( Thanks though.

phil lawson
05-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Did you close the hub before the install of [8]? It looks from your first picture that the 7.5 hub is still running. Although it should still work, maybe thats messing things up. Tried reinstalling [8]? Backup your licence key first though :)

Other than that, I would update video drivers to latest.

Cheers.

FONGOOL
05-31-2004, 10:19 PM
And remember, just because you've updated your drivers doesn't mean there still isn't a vid card problem. I've heard of cases where people have had to move backward to older drivers sometimes...:(

dslmattman
06-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Yah I seen that too. I might have to redo the computer anyway. I've seen some funkiness in other programs and games lately. I'll tell ya how things go once I do that. Thanks for the reply guys.

Matt Man

dslmattman
09-01-2004, 10:06 PM
I took care of the key problem but the Open GL/Direct X problem is still there as shown above. I found that I need to go to the troubleshoot tab in the advanced setting in the display properties and move the performance bar to the 3rd bar of 6 (6 being "Full") So I have a feeling its got something to do with Direct X and I have the newest DX 9b. I have also tryed other drivers from ATI and the only one that really works is the very first drivers ever released for my Radeon 8500 128 Meg. I've had problems having this card work with my Matrox 2500 RT video card for editing video. Also the only drivers that would work with that one was the very first drivers that came out for that video card.

Dont have the money to get a new video card right now. What do you think, ATI or Nvidia for my next card?

Matt Man

mattclary
09-02-2004, 05:40 AM
As soon as I saw the problem, I said to myself, "Ah, he's using an ATI card".

FYI, LightWave uses OpenGL, not Direct X.

StevenDS
09-02-2004, 08:17 AM
I had the same exact problem dslmattman has.
When I had LW7.5c with my ATI 8500, that -exact- same bug came and went with various catalyst drivers. Since moving to a 9800Pro, I haven't seen this bug ever.

I'm seriously considering moving to an nVidia card.
My understanding is that nVidia's OpenGL support is much more, um, robust than ATI's OpenGL.