PDA

View Full Version : All_Quads

optikanet
05-30-2004, 06:11 AM
Hi,

I've started to find the Bandsaw Pro plugin for modeller to be extremely useful and with this, and a few other features in mind - as well as a large number of tutorials which advise the use of quads over tris - especially with regards to metaform and/or SubPatch objects, I have a feature request to make.

Sometimes, try as I might, I just can't avoid tris. Is it possible to design a plugin which can optimise geometry containing tris to give all quads?

This would be significantly advantageous to me, particularly when modelling organic SubPatch objects by building their surfaces manually (as opposed to extruding them or bevelling/smooth shifting them from existing geometry).

Please tell me that this is possible!

Kind Regards
Dave

Mylenium
05-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Well, I think you are hoping for too much here. There is no way to avoid all potential situations where tris might be created. Depending on the curvature you want to achieve there may always be polys that meet in an angle that can only be filled with a tri. Even the most clever rebuilding and polygon twisting cannot defeat mathematical rules. The better (but still not perfect solution) is improving the subD algorithm to make smarter use of tris and allow for n-Gons.

Mylenium

Lynx3d
05-30-2004, 12:04 PM
IMHO it's just as easy as the "add detail"- "make perfect IK-rig" and "make FinalFantasy-like animation"-button ;)

papou
05-30-2004, 06:55 PM
hmm?
maybe i'm wrong but are you looking for something like MergeTrigonX? http://www.dproject.com/lw_plus_e.htm

Panikos
05-30-2004, 08:34 PM
I think all modelers have crossed this point of thinking.
It takes some time to tweak your model and eliminate all tris if possible.
Otherwise, gathering/pushing them in corners causes further merging, or hidden in areas where are not that visible.

:cool: