PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Questions

mnbear
05-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi, Folks,

I was hoping I could get a little input as to whether I made wise choices in my VT3 hardware.

I recently (after years of debating) bought a VT3, and decided that as long as I was going to buy the card, I might as well invest in a fairly decent computer. I decided against going with the DUAL XEON (simply because of price/performance issues) and bought a 3.4 GHZ P4 w/ P4C800-E Asus motherboard (this uses the recommended Intel 875P chipset). 1 Gig of Ram, and a 76 gig System Harddrive (Dvd recorder).
For video/audio drives I bought 4 Seagate Cheetah 10k 36GB drives and a U320 Tower chasis (that holds up to 9 drives) and an Adaptec 39320-R PCI-X SCSI card.

Now here comes the dilemma, I just noticed that Newtek recommends putting the SCSI controller on a 64-bit slot so that it doesnt share bandwidth limitations with the toaster. NOw I am concerned that I should swap the motherboard because of this. I do not plan on using the toaster for anything too extreme (this is really just a hobby, so performace doesnt have to be PEAK, but I would certainly want it to be usable). Am I going to experience major issues because the Scsi Card will be on the same bus as the toaster? Any help in illuminating this is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Capillo
05-29-2004, 11:05 AM
You might want to do some comparisons with those here who are running the dual xeon systems via autoconfig. For instance, my system (Supermicro X5DA8 dual 2.8 Xeon w/2 gig RAM) reports anywhere from 230 to 270 mb/s on the U320 SCSI RAID ( [4] 73 gb drives). The (4) 40 gb IDE drives report at 70 - 75 mb/s. I have virtually no stutters and very few crashes - almost none. My system is very stable and reliable, but I have nothing else on it except Photoshop and it is not on the internet. I don't know a whole lot about the bandwidth restrictions, but I do know my SCSI RAID is separate from the VT the way it is set up now. You could always consult a Newtek tech or a dealer to get the final word.

Paul Lara
05-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by mnbear
I do not plan on using the toaster for anything too extreme (this is really just a hobby, so performace doesnt have to be PEAK, but I would certainly want it to be usable).

Jim,
I think you'll have more than adequate performance from the combination of fast CPU, very fast fron-side bus, and fast SCSI drives. It's all good. :D

mnbear
05-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Paul & Jim,

Thanks alot of the response. I feel alot better about the >$5000 I just sunk into this little hobby of mine. :)

I suppose if there are problems with performance I can always upgrade the motherboard on the peecee I bought. :)

Jim

Paul Lara
05-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by mnbear
I can always upgrade the motherboard on the peecee I bought.

Indeed, Jim, since your VT hardware, SCSI drives and CPU's are probably 80% of your system price. A new motherboard/SCSI controller would be a few hundred bucks, but I'm confident you'll be satisfied with your system's abilites.

kleima
05-30-2004, 06:19 PM
I agree, it is an adequate system. But, for you info, one of the main reasons people go with dual XEONS is because of the 64-bit PCI slots. Currently, as far as I know, XEONS are the only mother boards with the 64-bit PCI. Single P4's do not have that available yet.

videoguy
05-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Acutally super micro has some single p4 boards with 64 bit busses. However the verison with an agp slot is extremely hard to find I happen yo know where i can get the only 6 in the country at the momonent email me at zcondren @ gmail.com

Kevin
05-31-2004, 11:10 AM
SUpermicro makes a motherboard that has 3 64bit PCI-X slots, 2 regular PCI slot, and an AGP Pro slot. Sound like what you need. It's the Supermicro P4SCT+II. Newegg.com has them instock for a little less than three hundred.

videoguy
05-31-2004, 11:24 AM
My price is aroun $240 or so leet me know if anyone is intrested