PDA

View Full Version : Still life: Fruit Basket

Carm3D
05-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Hello,

Here is a fruit basket scene I made. Some of the textures are UV-painted.. Other are procedural (including IFW Textures). I also used G2 for SSS and Sasquatch for the peach and kiwi fuzz. I did not model every individual strip along the walls of the basket. It was created with two interweaving sheets. I used clip and bump mapping to make them look strippy.

http://www.carm3d.net/Media/FruitBasket.JPG

Be happy!

miso popovic
05-31-2004, 01:23 AM
cool! Looks realy nice! Doesent look so real (the peer is the most relistic IMHO), but i like the look it has!

Carm3D
05-31-2004, 01:37 AM
> Doesent look so real (the peer is the most relistic IMHO), but i like the look it has!

Thanks Miso, it's always nice to be recognized by my pears. :)

Zarathustra
06-01-2004, 09:15 AM
it's always nice to be recognized by my pears.

oh........<cringe>

Looks good, though.

Jinxius
06-02-2004, 12:44 AM
The Gradient in the peach is a bit too strong try a little thinner range and add more orange/yellow to the general color of the peach itself.

-EDIT : Try to change light position too, you know in portraits shadows have a very important role try more diffuse and soft shadows and maybe add a little contrast to the final image.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Jinxius.

iandavis
06-02-2004, 07:55 PM
I think one of the main issues is the lack of both colour and surface irregularities. Fruit is almost never symetrical. In fact it's a study in fractal math.

For the banana add a subtle bump texture, plus perhaps some yellow fractal noise, the same with all the other fruit actually.

Pears are very bumpy. Buy one and examine it with a magnifying glass. You need to reproduce the imperfections at a sub-atomic level before it looks real to the naked eye... errr.. well maybe not that extreme, but the theory is sound in my experience.

:)

riki
06-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Nice one Carm, maybe the grapes look a little too opaque and the purple looks a little too bright.

hazmat777
06-03-2004, 01:18 AM
sub-atomic level? ;)

Traveler
06-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Looks pretty good to me!
The basket is very nice, but could use a more brownish color I think. Also the square shape of it somehow looks a bit out of place. Have you tried an oval shaped basket?

Carm3D
06-03-2004, 04:01 AM
Hello iandavis,

> You need to reproduce the imperfections at a sub-atomic level before it looks real to the naked eye...

I think you've made a good point here, so I went back and added more detail at the sub-atomic level. In fact, if you look close enough, you can see a proton and an electron.

Lightwolf
06-03-2004, 04:57 AM
ROTLF
You just made my day :D ...

Cheers,
Mike

Btw: Nice basket and fruit too ;)

starbase1
06-03-2004, 05:33 AM
The basket trick works very well, neat.

I too think that the colours are a little strong, particularly the purple grapes. But I thought maybe that was the look you were going for?

Nick

iandavis
06-03-2004, 11:56 AM
oh man. what have I done!

LOL that's funny... thanks. Now the picture is complete.

:)

Ian

Zarathustra
06-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Too bad this forum doesn't have a frontpage. That's frontpage material to me!
Maybe you should post over at spinquad.com.
Of course you'd need the whole thread, otherwise it would look like you're implying Proton was fruity.
Well, that or ripe. :D

hazmat777
06-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Oh, man! This is the hardest I've laughed in weeks!

You guys are the best. :D

WilliamVaughan
06-04-2004, 08:18 AM
LOL!

Too funny!