PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming those blasted Tank Treads

emperorchuck
05-28-2004, 02:07 PM
So. By now, there are a lot of threads available on making and animating tank treads. I've done the endomorph method, and it works great. But. What do I do if I want the treads to conform to the terrain?

I was thinking of making them conform to a path, but how do I make it so that the total length of the path remains constant, rather than stretching the object? Or, can this be done with IK... I know, Lightwave hates linking a chain to itself, but could I make it follow a looped path, and then deform the path as the tread moved along it? Any ideas?

toby
06-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Maybe you could take the deformation used on the ground and add it to the tank treads' deformation - then apply a vertical 'falloff' to that layer so that only the tread on the ground gets deformed (you'll also have to move the tank's lower wheels to match, parent them to nulls and apply the same deformation to the nulls)

emperorchuck
06-01-2004, 04:04 PM
That is a very good idea! I wouldna thought of the deformation maps. Thanks Toby!

toby
06-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Don't thank me yet, it might not work! :)

I was also thinking that if your terrain was already modeled, you could render a top-view, depth-buffer image of it and use that as the deformation map ~

I love this crazy stuff!