PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of a plugin that will act like bandsaw but keep the curves of subD?

hairy_llama
05-27-2004, 09:28 AM
I hate the way my geometry gets flat spots after bandsaw that I have to manualy go in and tweek, is there a pluggy like bandsaw that will keep hte subpatch shape? Thanks for any help!

Gabe
05-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Hmmm.... an interesting idea. Taking it a bit further, they could give bandsaw the three options that subdividing has: Faceted, smooth and metaform. Yes, I think that would be handy.

hairy_llama
05-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Darn, I thought there was allready a pluggy out there. :(

SplineGod
05-29-2004, 03:43 AM
I know its the biggest slowdown with subpatch modeling. I typically use smooth scale to bump the new points out a bit.

RLM
05-29-2004, 12:02 PM
I haven't used smooth scale for that. That's an idea.

It's also an idea in certain cases to copy the oriignal into a sepearate layer, as a background reference when trying to smooth the newly sliced version back out.

There is a plug-in for cinema4d, part of meshsurgery. It's called superflange which does exactly what you are talking about.

This would certainly be a really nice addition for LW.

RLM:)

RLM
05-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Just went back to a similar thread from the past on CGtalk.

Not my discovery, but you can use point normal mover effectively.

Bandsaw your object, go into point mode, and with the band of points still selected, drag with point normal mover back into place.

Did some simple tests with a basic sphere and it works a treat.

RLM:)

sire
05-30-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Gabe
Hmmm.... an interesting idea. Taking it a bit further, they could give bandsaw the three options that subdividing has: Faceted, smooth and metaform. Yes, I think that would be handy.

This option doesn't actually belong to bandsaw alone. First, it would have to be an alternative subdivision mode for sub-d surfaces. With a mode like "smooth", the curvature would run through the control points. In such a mode it would be easier to determine for the software where additional points must be placed to leave the curvature intact (for bandsaw operations, knife and that stuff).

I already made a feature request a while ago suggesting a "smooth" sub-d mode. Could even be implemented by a special type of weight map which could be used to blend the mode. That would be great.

tudor
05-30-2004, 09:10 AM
I asked the same question here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22688

No solution, but an interesting read about subD's :)

RLM
05-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Interesting thread Tudor.

I'm off to play with some pyramids.:)