PDA

View Full Version : tornado

StickyPete
03-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Anyone have an idea how to build a tornado?.... I have Illusion and Lightwave 7.5, but am real new at this. I am willing to buy a good model to get through this, but it would be nice to know how to do it myself. I have not found any training material on how to build a tornado yet. If you can help, please email me at

[email protected]

My satalite email is down for a few days.

Skonk
03-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Theres a sample scene included with lightwave that may be what your after, all u need to do is add hypervoxes (set to a smokey colume) and your all set.

"\Scenes\_Features\Particles_Dynamics\Wind_Tornado. lws"

James.

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Dan Ablan also has a tutorial in his book Lightwave 6.5 Magic on building a tornado. It looked really good. Of course, with hypervoxels, it's slooooow rendering.

composermanII
03-31-2003, 08:30 AM
You could create a cone to create the basic shape of the tornado. Use some fractal noise and transparency textures (you will need to experiment with this to get a result that pleases you). Animate the textures on the cone (this will allow the cone to appear to be rotating while the cone really is not). Use bones to allow the tornado whip around much like a real tornado does. To make the effect even more realistic add a particle system around the cone and use hypervoxels to create small debris pieces. You can set some of the textures to volume for a cloud-like appearance, while setting others to solid to create other junk. Parent the particle system to the cone and tweak it from there. By using more geometry your render times will drop dramtically.

Good luck

Troy McClellan

VWTornado
04-08-2003, 02:38 PM
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/specialfx/particlefx_tornado/particlefx_tornado.html

Its the tutorial straight off Newteks website. ParticleFX Tornado.