PDA

View Full Version : Image Sequence Format for video?

kevinmcpoland
05-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi there,

Okay, I want to send an animation to some video guys who work with After effects, but I told them I use LW8 with a plugin (fPrime) that doesn't render to an actual video file but image sequences.

They are okay with that, but don't have experience to advise me which file format to render out to (we are all only hobbiests I'm afraid, and they normally only use captured video...)

So my question is this: Trying to make a video for a DVD with the clips being put together in after effects, PAL (720 X 576): What is the best file format to render out to from fPrime?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin McPoland

Beamtracer
05-26-2004, 05:20 PM
After Effects can import image sequences of all the major image types.

Alternately, get Quicktime Pro. It doesn't cost much, and is available for download from Apple's website for either Mac or Windows. QTpro can translate an image sequence into a Quicktime movie. It can also just load up an image sequence so you can view what you've got.

PNG is a good 8bpc image format to use.

Gabe
05-26-2004, 09:26 PM
You can render them as a movie clip from Lightwave too. Set them as a background image sequence in an empty Lightwave scene and render it out.

SamuraiSlayer
05-26-2004, 09:32 PM
If you need the alphas rendered out too you can choose a format which deals with layers and alphas, I know the photoshop format does but does anyone know if fprime includes the alpha with the photoshop image?

Basically it doesnt matter the file format as long as the program will open it and the quality of the image is ok. Once the video is rendered out, the images that are put in are turned into frames and it doesnt matter what their filename used to be because now everything has been put into the video's codec

:)

-SS

dakben
05-26-2004, 09:40 PM
For all of my composite stuff that I do in After Effects I like to use the PNG format. Render out a 32-bit PNG and you'll get your alpha channel, and a great quality image that doesn't take up a lot of space.

badllarma
05-26-2004, 11:44 PM
I always use 32 bit TiFs got your alphs included then for the comping

kevinmcpoland
05-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the advice people, now I'm going to call them up and sound like I'm a clever git who's done a bunch of research! :D

Kevin McPoland

problemchild
05-27-2004, 10:25 AM
you have done a bunch of research!

:cool:

Ztreem
05-27-2004, 12:24 PM
I always use the targa format... but you could use any of the formats that AE loads. But don't use jpeg because it's destroy the quality of the image.

js33
05-27-2004, 03:20 PM
I use tgas either 24 bit or 32 bit if I need an alpha channel.

Cheers,
JS

Beamtracer
05-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Some of the more recent image formats that Lightwave uses are only available as image filter plug-ins (in the image filter menu, rather than the render menu).

This is such a shame, as FPrime can't access any of these image formats. I want to use the 16bpc PSD image format (rather than the 8bpc one) with FPrime, but alas it can't be done.

toby
05-27-2004, 03:39 PM
if it's really important, .psd (I've had the fewest problems with it in LW). if it's not really important, .png

archive, jpeg 2000. (.mov)