PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burning

Richard Johnson
05-26-2004, 01:41 PM
I have completed a video clip. I have rendered it and burned a DVD, but when the DVD is played back, it starts and stops giving everything from .5 sec. to 3 or 4 sec skips or hesitations.

Is this caused by the incorrect rendering format?

What rendering format should I be using?

amigo
05-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Question is have you encoded the media properly and authored the DVD per spec? Which MPEG encoder did you use and authoring package?

The usual format of the DVD clips would be MPEG2 D1 NTSC with 2 or 5.1 channel audio at 48KHz. The stream bitrate is anywhere from 6-12Mbit/sec for pro DVDs (movies, TV series etc). You can probably get away with 4Mbit/sec stream though and VBR (Variable Bit Rate) with 2 or 3 passes.

meshmaster
05-27-2004, 09:35 AM
you go over 8MB per second, some dvd authoring programs and older dvd players will run in to problems... I had some mppg 2 video that I recorded via an ati all in wonder 9000 pro at somewhere around 9mbps and it caused tmpg dvd author to choke and give an error box saying that the rate was too high... My girlfrind has a slightly older dvd player... I use it to test dvds that I author... It's amazing what the playstation 2 will play that that older dvd player won't play. I've heard that dvdr- may be more useful than the +... but it's all trial and error basically.

amigo
05-27-2004, 10:19 AM
funny though, I heard that + is more reliable than -, because it's more widely accepted standard and more supported, figures, hah!

Best bet as you said, trial and error, until it all works out :)

Richard Johnson
05-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Well, I appreciate the responses, however, I still feel like a dummy.

I am using VT3, have finished a Project and wish to render it so that I can burn a DVD from the rendered file.

With your suggestions, I have tried to set up my rendering as:

MPEG2 DVD mode 6 Mbit/sec
Full NTSC D1 Video
Uncompressed PCM (I can't locate another format that is allowed with MPEG2)
48kHz

At the command to render, it starts and then stops at .26 sec. and will not resume rendering.

I don't know what you are referring to when you write "2 or 5.1 channel audio" or "VBR with 2 or 3 passes."

I am no further than I was yesterday and I actually feel further behind.

amigo
05-27-2004, 02:48 PM
I would prepare a raw AVI file (raw meaning DivX or something similar with mp3 audio so that it's not too huge)

Also I'd give TMPGEnc a try, http://www.tmpgenc.com because it comes with pre-defined templates for many formats and outputs. It has both audio and video encoding and decoding facility as well as mutliplexing and de-multiplexing of single and multiple files.

The audio cannot be PCM uncompressed, it has to be MPG-ed. Alternatively, you could get BeSweet suite (free, http://dspguru.doom9.net) and use it to encode mpg2 audio separately.

The DVD authoring package I use (DVD Lab) requires separate video and audio streams (.mpv and .mpa) which are then combined during the authoring process. DVD Lab also has a recording facility so it's a turn key solution.

Of course you can use any other authoring package of your choice, some will even encode the video and audio for you (but will take more time, and I prefer to have better control over encoding process)

Richard Johnson
05-28-2004, 05:38 AM
I thought that when I purchased VT3 I would have enough utility to create a total product that could be burned using something like Roxio. What you are telling me is that I can't do that without using an additional piece of application software. I find that to be incredible.

amigo
05-28-2004, 08:17 AM
No no, all I'm saying is what I've done from my own experience. Unfortunatelly I do not have a VT3 (though I'd love to) so I cannot say whether VT3 can do this or not, perhaps another VT3 user or someone from NT could shed more light on the subject. :)

Richard Johnson
05-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Ahh...that clears things up a little, but doesn't solve my problem. Thanks.

Any VT3 users out there?