PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Expectations - Newbie

jvt
03-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Need some advice. I have a full time job as a sys admin for a lawfirm. I do video editing on the side (Pinnacle Studio 7) for the firm. Our firm spends a considerable amount of $$ on animation and I want that business. The animations for our firm consist mainly of short accident recreations or specific surgery animations. I don't have any graphics or design background (besides architecture classes in highschool) and have never worked with animation software before. I found a couple of places that offer training locally but don't really know what to expect when I get done. Any advice on what I may be in store for if I take the leap and spend the money on training and software? Any tips, ideas, questions, encouragement or warnings will all be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

JT

John Fornasar
03-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Any tips, ideas, questions, encouragement or warnings will all be welcome.
warning = get paid up front when working for lawyers.

jvt
03-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Gee - Thanks for the great tip. They haven't had any problems giving me a paycheck for the last 8 years. Any useful advice?

John Fornasar
03-25-2003, 10:16 PM
OK, sorry for being flippant (although I'm glad you get paid, I'll stick with my statement).

I don't know the quality of animation that your firm gets, but if you can, check out "CarCrash.lws" that comes with Lightwave. It's a crash simulation created with objects (scenery, roads, cars) that are on the LW CD. This type of scene is easy to set up, however, I did one where the time of day and angle of the sun was significant, the road was pitched, and two of the buildings needed to be modeled accurately. I doubt I could have pulled it off when I first started with LW.

I did get paid, but only when they wanted a second animation for another client. They paid me for both before I did the second bit.

As far as the medical bit, I haven't worked with organics, and know less about anatomy and the medical arts, so it seems that it would be much harder for me. Maybe someone else will hop in here. If you look at the archived forums here, I seem to remember someone posting some blood cells moving through veins. There was also a feature article in one of the 3D magazines last year on medical imaging (maybe Keyframe?)

Good luck.

Epita
03-26-2003, 04:10 AM
well, allways remember to start small, and not try do do everything the first time round.

practice practice practice

other than that, read the manual and look at as many tuts as possible

ohh, and have a beating

Epita

paulfierlinger
03-26-2003, 06:03 AM
Our firm spends a considerable amount of $$ on animation

It takes talent and years of experience to become a professional animator. Would you say "Our firm spends a considerable amount of $$ on medical expertise" and add "I want that money - what medical instruments do I need to become a doctor"?

I'd say let the animators get your firms money; theirs nothing wrong with that.

Paul Fierlinger

jvt
03-26-2003, 08:44 AM
John & Epita - Thanks for the replies.

Paul - Don't worry, I won't be performing any surgeries anytime soon although the "home heart transplant kit" looked pretty interesting on ebay. Animation is something I'd like to get into and there's no better time than the present.

Thanks

JT

Anthony
03-31-2003, 11:10 PM
If you dedicate your afternoons/evenings and late night to CG, I'd give myself 2 years before I'd tackle even medium sized commercial jobs. Just my estimate. In art every time you think you know quite a bit, you find out something that opens your eyes to a whole new level. Rinse, repeat :)