PDA

View Full Version : Spent the day learning IKBooster

Carm3D
05-26-2004, 04:36 AM
Hi,

I spent the day learning the Ins and Outs of IKBooster. I used a simple tree as my subject. These are my conclusions:

IKBooster is a nifty addition to LW. The interface is very alien to the rest of Lightwave, however. I think if it is worked on further for the next upgrade it could be an impressive tool.

Even with "All Item" mode on, it seems the changes I made to editing dynamics did not effect all nodes until I held down the Ctrl key when I activated the edit dynamics option. Only then did ALL nodes show the changes as I made them. (each node showed the same number update)

Spring did not work the way I had hoped. The mechanics of IKBooster is probably ideal for a character's tail, but getting my tree's branches to quiver proved impossible. This animation (http://www.Carm3D.net/IKBoosterTree.MOV) was the closest I could get. Most of the time it would react as if it was underwater.

When I tried to use very low gravity, I got bizarre results. I think it may be a floating point math issue. Too many decimal places and it freaks out. When I used numbers like -2 mm/s the tree branshes would wig out for the first few frames of the animation. Once the effect of gravity had reached a high enough number, the tree would snap-to and be fine for the rest of the animation. The smaller the number I chose for gravity, the longer the initial "freak out" session would last.

I hope that the next upgrade of LW gives IKBooster a more LW-like properties panel or two so that users don't have to dig through menus each time a different value needs to be changed.

Better springs could be cool too, but I'm sure that is not what this tool was designed for.

Cheers!

TyVole
05-26-2004, 06:25 AM
In future versions, I would like the following:

* A means of selecting the rings other than by clicking on them (e.g., from a list.) If you have realistic fingers, you end up with a mess of rings; and it's extremely difficult selecting the one you want.

* Undos.

* Accessibility through the communication ring, to allow plugin/lscript writers the ability to interface to it.

It's a nice start, though.

BeeVee
05-26-2004, 06:37 AM
You know you can move the rings away from each other to make them easier to access?

B

TyVole
05-26-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by BeeVee
You know you can move the rings away from each other to make them easier to access?

B

No, I didn't.

But still, how would I know which ring belonged to which bone?

anieves
05-26-2004, 07:07 AM
because there is a line drawn from the ring to the bone... just try it and see how you like it.

WilliamVaughan
05-26-2004, 07:07 AM
Each bone has a ring at it's base....I have a video up online showing the rings being moved...I will track it down...steps:

Right CVlick and go to Control Edit

move controllers

end edit

hope that helps....it's mentioned in the Help File as well

WilliamVaughan
05-26-2004, 07:09 AM
you can also change teh size of teh rings which sounds like teh option u need for fingers

look in IKB options for that

05-26-2004, 07:14 AM
I love the IKB interface myself. It would be even better if I could custom bind some of it to keys, and as soon as some of the character picker tools out there get updated to support it, we'll have a great system coming into place. I much prefer IKB's contextual right click menu access over hitting 'P' and 'M' a bazillion times. The rest of LW's outdated UI could take a page from the IKB interface in fact.

Jaffro
05-26-2004, 08:26 AM
I actually agree with james, I think the IKB menu's are great, always a click away and thats really handy!
I'm currently working on IKB chapter of my lightwave site (Lightwave Tutorials (http://www.lightwave-tutorials.com) (basically a kind of work in progress of learning the tools). Its not going to cover bone dynamics yet, in the future then yea, i'll have some proper tutorials and explainations of how it works, but for now its just a random experience around LW8 tools in a real project :)

The thing i find about IKB and its controllers is that sometimes they are difficult to select. I do love being able to to move the controllers out, and having their size quite small helps on the fingers / toes / tight areas, however its a global size and i'd really like to be able to change the individual size of each controller (like a controller properties panel?). Also i was hoping the size effect would be individual controllers but thats global too, imo just these two things would clean up 'IKB Rigs'.

wacom
05-26-2004, 09:06 AM
"The thing i find about IKB and its controllers is that sometimes they are difficult to select. I do love being able to to move the controllers out, and having their size quite small helps on the fingers / toes / tight areas, however its a global size and i'd really like to be able to change the individual size of each controller (like a controller properties panel?). Also i was hoping the size effect would be individual controllers but thats global too, imo just these two things would clean up 'IKB Rigs'."

Maybe it could be an option in the spread sheet? Select the bone with IK boost on it, and you'll get the IK Boost node selected if IK boost is on?

I think a lot of pannel type options should be made through the spreadsheet/dope sheet for global or large changes- or detailed ones. Then mousers can mouse...and panel people can..well you get the point...

Proton- I this seems to be your baby, and as a baby I must say it's very nice. Can't wait to see it grow up as well...;)

My one thing, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, is that I'd like to be able to select multi-nodes by either ctrl-clicking or the spread sheet and then edit and change IK boost features for all items selected. Ever have a monkey tail and want to put constraints on all 50 bones? I was using Lscript commander to do this before...If you can't do this in IK boost now I hope that it makes it into the next one.

Is it in there or do I need to make a feature request?

In all the new dynamics and the bone/IK tools make me hopeful for the future of LW.

wacom
05-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Spent the day learning IKBooster

I think you can learn what it "does" in a day, but I'm finding it takes a lot longer to get use to really working with it.

Your tree example is strange too...I would have used SoftFX for it with a vertex map...much faster and more interactive...

Jaffro
05-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Maybe it could be an option in the spread sheet? Select the bone with IK boost on it, and you'll get the IK Boost node selected if IK boost is on?

Yea i think thats a good idea. I like to work with the spread sheet / scene editor open all the time so its just as handy as a right click away. However a few of the new scene editor issues to do with window placement and size needs to be sortted to help this process out.

wacom, i also see the same that multi selecting the controllers/nodes is not possible. It would be something very much worth having too.

js33
05-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Is there anyway to move the H,P,B numbers away from the model. I know you can move them a bit by moving the circle out but the numbers are usually still close to the model in different views. I would like to have them down at the bottom totally away from the model like the normal translate numbers in layout are.

After using it for awhile it can be hard to read the numbers also.
Can we make them bigger or change the color? The red and blue are the hardest to read sometimes.

Cheers,
JS

05-26-2004, 11:43 AM
I'd sooner be able to toggle them on and off at will. Perhaps a default state you could set to either visible or unseen, and then a toggle key to temporarily reverse the state as you need it.

I do like having them attached to the nodes though. Was a bit strange to get used to but I've really grown accustomed to it.