PDA

View Full Version : help with planar polygons plz

volatile_design
05-26-2004, 12:15 AM
hi im following a tutorial to make a car from this site and im stuk because it says to make a selection of polygons planar and i dont know how to do this or EXACTLY what it means so any help would be appreciated
thnx

themaxx
05-26-2004, 01:11 AM
can you provide some more context? planar just means that the polys are flat; they aren't "bent".

volatile_design
05-26-2004, 01:30 AM
well im making the head light and i hav 4 polygons selected and it says to move them to the correct place and make them planar

i assumed that planar meant parralell to the axis but the only way i could think of doing this is to manually drag points, i tried this and it just looked wrong

is there another way to do so ????

toby
05-26-2004, 02:17 AM
It sounds like this tutorial is not written very well. Making a polygon planar is not a modeling technique, it's a repair that you do when neccessary, normally by tripling (break into triangles) the polygon (Shift+T)

Where's this website?

volatile_design
05-26-2004, 03:08 AM
its on this site

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/car/index9.html

just over halfway down the page.

toby
05-26-2004, 04:26 AM
Well what he means by "From the side view rotate them and make it planar to the y axis just like the image labeled step 3." is to make the polygons parallel to the Y axis. I guess he didn't use the word parallel because it pertains to lines.

Anyway, what he means is to pull down the front edge of the headlight hole so that it doesn't block the headlight from pointing straight out towards the front of the car.

He should have made this a little clearer, notice there is no image labeled step 3. :rolleyes:

volatile_design
05-26-2004, 04:30 AM
hey cheers man i'll giv that a try and let u know how it goes

thnx
Aaron -