PDA

View Full Version : Projecting a curve to a surface

LMUSIC
05-26-2004, 12:09 AM
I have a profile curve (roadway) that I want to have lay on top of a surface (landscape).

The curve is on one layer and the surface is in another. I thought there was a tool for projecting a curve (or the control points) to a surface, but I haven't been able to find one. (LW8)

I have searched on Flay also, but no luck. Maybe my search terms were less than effective.

Any recommendation?

Matt
05-26-2004, 01:48 AM
Try extruding the curve so it intersects the landscape, and using the Drill tool (under the 'Multiply' tab) stencil the extruded curve onto the landscape.

Might not be exactly what you're after but it may put you in the right direction.

digimassa
05-26-2004, 02:37 AM
:cool:

And whats about aligning the points before you create poly?

Dodgy
05-26-2004, 03:34 AM
You can use the Drill tool. Just have your track object in a Foreground layer and your curve in the background layer then activate the Drill tool, (shift-R) and select the axis you want the drill to be in and let it go...

jamesl
05-27-2004, 12:33 AM
Polyfit, found on Flay, will do it also. It's free!

j

LMUSIC
05-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Thanks for all the good suggestions!

I have tried pretty much all of them.

The extrude and drill options end up with a lot more points in the resulting paths than I am looking for. The clean up will be enough with this approach that I think moving the points on the original flat path to the landscape surface will be less work.

jamesl - I haven't been able to get the Polyfit script to work in LW8, it gives 'unresolved function' errors - does it work for you?

Ideally, I would like to be able to move the control points to the landscape surface and take the roadway polys with them. They are positioned so that moving them in the Y-axis to the roadway surface will create the appropriate bridges over rivers.

I am beginning to think that manually moving the points is the likely best option. Any additional thoughts?

jamesl
05-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by LMUSIC
T
jamesl - I haven't been able to get the Polyfit script to work in LW8, it gives 'unresolved function' errors - does it work for you?

Yes. Actually, I hadn't tried it in LW8 until you asked, but I loaded the plugin and the Envelope scene that comes with it... worked fine. Don't know what to tell you... did you overwrite your 7.5 install? Maybe you have an old lscript version?

j

Dodgy
05-28-2004, 02:58 AM
http://www.ribsngibs.com/pages/CG/plugins/plugins.html

Actually you might want to try this! Move point on BG. Interactive and easy to use...

LMUSIC
05-28-2004, 09:20 AM
jamesl - I uninstalled my 7.5 before installing 8. I will give it another try.

Dodgy - I will check that one out.

Thanks all

LMUSIC
05-29-2004, 01:42 AM
It looks like the Move Point on BG will be the way to go for this task!

I am still ironing out the flow to take advantage of the plugin, but I can tell it is going to work out pretty well.

Thanks to all for your help.

I will post an image in this thread when I get that far.