PDA

View Full Version : Need to make a shark swim

PG-13
05-25-2004, 06:00 PM
This must be simple so I must be missing something. I want to have a shark swim along a sinious path. I created a path with a series of S curves and could easily make the shark follow and stay aligned to the path. However it moves like a car, or wooden fishing plug. What I need is for the shark's geometry to conform to the path as it moves. In my old Imagine days this was as simple as selecting a single option and it created very realistic organic motions.

I spend a couple of hours experimenting with LW and looking for a tutorial last night but without success. So before I burn up a few more hours I thought I would come to those "in the know"!

Any suggestions on how to make this happen would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Weetos
05-26-2004, 02:34 AM
I'm also interested in knowing how to do this. I've tried a bone chain with the tail bone goaled to a null (following the path), and then tried to apply some oscillation to the null. The body was conforming to the path, but the tail movement wasn't looking real.

Regards,

Weetos

arsad
05-26-2004, 04:01 AM
Hi go to www.flay.com and do a search for shift spline transform.
This will do the most of the work implied. And for the tail movement use some endomorphs.

happy lightwavin'

jamesl
05-27-2004, 12:37 AM
If you have 8.0, dstorm has a new plugin that looks like a lot of fun:

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/index-e.html

just released!

cheers,

j

CoryC
05-27-2004, 08:57 AM
I recently did a video of a shark swimming and the best thing that helped me was watching a lot of sharks swimming....but run the video backwards. It gives a lot of clues to how they move. It is not a simple bending back and forth.

PG-13
05-27-2004, 03:11 PM
BINGO! Thanks jamesl the Trailer plugin at Dstorm does exactly what I needed! While I was there I also found another nice plugin that allows me to preview renders on an NTSC monitor via firewire! Again thanks!