PDA

View Full Version : St. Simons Lighthouse (sorta)

reverie
05-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi,

I'm a Lightwave newbie, learning thru books and the challenges that the 3D gurus over at indeptharts.com come up with. This lighthouse was done for the latest challenge, in LW8. It ain't a masterpiece, but I think it's the best I've come up with yet. :)

It was modeled on the lighthouse at St. Simons Island, Georgia, but I made some changes in the name of artistic liberty. :D

Thanks,
Jan

reverie
05-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Here's the first version. I did the one above at the request of boulyabase, one of the aforementioned 3D gurus. :)

veljko
05-26-2004, 01:53 AM
personaly i like the botoom one more- the skytracer background did not add much to the image- If you decide to do the enviroment (which you did when added skytracer) then you must go all the way- otherwise you are better of just placing the object into a void space.
I want to say that with skytracer you must atleast add some sea to finish off the enviromet- A rock or something on which the lighthouse is standing on would be nice..
Otherwise just leave the object by itselfe on a black background-

hope this helps!
:)

reverie
05-26-2004, 04:38 AM
Thank you very much...yes, it does help. :) The skytracer environment was a compliance to a friend's request for a light-colored background. I liked the dark one because of the drama.

But I think the skytracer background is lacking also--it's just there. Doesn't add anything to the "story."

One problem I would like to solve...I could NOT get the lights to beam rays outward from the top, no matter what I did. And the glass in the top holes is almost totally transparent.

How do you get lights to beam obvious rays?

veljko
05-26-2004, 09:04 AM
You do this by activating the "volumetric lighting" option in the light properties panel.
You have a whole new screen of options to setup to refine your volumetric light- But just activating it should produce some results- If not go into the volumetric light options and play around with the setings, im shure you will get it!
You allready have some presets that ship with LW, so you might try them out? Just open the voulmetric ligh options and press the "presets" button in LW (the same preset buton that you use to get the surface presets opened)

good luck, and keep us up to date-

reverie
05-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Thank you! :) I owe you a big jug of South Georgia moonshine. ;)

Jan

P.S. Oops...just saw lemonade in your sig. I owe you a jug of lemonade instead. :o

veljko
05-26-2004, 09:32 AM
about the background....you might just use a retushed photograph as a background image?
I placed a photo I made as a background to show you what i mean- you can use it if you like, or you can use one of your own...

veljko
05-26-2004, 09:35 AM
its not much but i think it looks bettter then the skytracer options anyways...
here is just the background-

reverie
05-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Wow...beautiful background picture! Thank you again, so much. I like the way you placed the lighthouse, too. :)

Jan

veljko
05-26-2004, 12:03 PM
no problem-
you might try to play with the lightening of the lighthouse to match the backgrund-maybe a blue clored light somewhere?..

reverie
05-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Here's an updated version. :) I turned on volumetrics and added a lens flare because I read that the St. Simons lighthouse has a fresnel lens -- which probably doesn't generate a lens flare, but what do I know? ;)

I like this version a lot better than the other two I did. The lights still aren't as robust as I wanted 'em to be, but I have to learn how to adjust the volumetric settings, I guess.

veljko, I really, REALLY appreciate your help. :)

Jan

reverie
05-26-2004, 03:24 PM
By the way, vel, that is one fat mambo-kitty you have in your icon. :) Looks like he gobbled up half of croatia.

Jan